My boyfriend and I stayed here for 6 nights the first week in October. We had some doubts about booking as many of the reviews on here were full of complaints, especially about the location. I suppose it all depends on what you're looking for in a hotel. We wanted a nice clean, comfortable base to explore the city from. We also didn't want to pay a fortune just to be in the city centre as many of the hotels right in the centre of things were far more expensive than this and didn't look half as nice.
Well we got what we wanted. The hotel is well kept, the staff are friendly and the location for us was perfect. It is a little bit out of the centre but it is opposite the beach which makes up for that (a two minute walk across the bridge if even that). We used the Selva De Mar metro stop which is 10 minutes walk at the very most and it is a pleasant stroll. You take this line a few stops to Urquinaona and change to the red line and you are just one stop from Place de Catalunya right beside the Rambla. There is a bus I heard of that stops outside the hotel and is a 30 minute ride to town but honestly the metro is so much more convenient and quicker. A T-10 Metro ticket is €9.85 and gives you 10 trips (including changes to other lines within an hour) and one between two will do as you can pass it back to the other person. A taxi home from us after a night out was 7-9 euros. To us the quality of the hotel and being able to get away from the hustle and bustle really outweighed the little bit of travelling to and fro.
The Diagonal Mar shopping centre is a five minute walk away and has an abundance or shops, restaurants and a fun arcade. We went there most days for lunch (Tip: Do not eat along the Rambla, you'll be ripped off, the side streets are great for finding places, also beware of menus on the street without tax included in the prices!!)
There were some cons as always with hotels. The lifts are a little slow which can be annoying. We also noticed on day three that our minibar suddenly had extra items in it whereas we hadn't used anything so it clearly hadn't been restocked before we checked in. However a quick chat with the man at reception took care of that. The final thing that was probably the most annoying thing for us was that the jacuzzi was not working. We only found this out when we were down there in our towels and had to ring reception from the gym to find out. We felt they really should have told us this on check in. However we spent so much time out exploring the beautiful city that we really didn't mind too much in the end.
The Wifi and safe are free which was great and the room was cleaned every day up untl 4pm.
Apart from people who have had particularly unlucky experiences here for one reason or another, in my opinion you would have to be very easily annoyed to find major fault with it. The only people I would recommend to avoid the hotel are people with walking difficulties or people who do not want to have to travel at all to get to the centre of things.
We had a very pleasant stay and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to a friend or return in the future :-)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facing the sea, this hotel is ideal for pleasure or business trips The urban hotel Occidental Atenea Mar**** (member of the Barcelo Hotel Group and formerly Barcelo Atenea Mar – Adults Only) is in an excellent location, just 150 m from the Nova Mar Bella beach, and a 15-minute walk from the Barcelona International Convention Centre and the Diagonal Mar shopping centre. There is a bus stop opposite the hotel and there is a metro station a short walk away, connecting the hotel with the city's main points of interest. The hotel has 191 spacious, modern rooms, all of which are outward facing and bright, with views of the sea or the city. Every room has free Wi-Fi and, in addition, guests visiting the city have the chance to stay in a modern room full of luxury features. Among the services offered by the hotel, there is the car park (an additional charge applies), a fitness studio which can be used at no extra charge, a sauna, a hot tub and free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel. For meetings and events, the hotel features 5 partitionable function rooms equipped with the latest audiovisual technology. In the restaurant you can sample exquisite Mediterranean haute cuisine dishes. Some highlights of the hotel services include a new terrace with a 48 m2 infinity pool with sunbeds and hydromassage chairs, a 100 m2 sun terrace with Balinese beds, hammocks, and pouffes for hire. The terrace has a snack-bar open from June to September (weather-dependent). Your can end your day at the Occidental Atenea Mar - Adults Only hotel with a relaxing walk along the beach, and for the sportier guests, jogging along the seafront. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Barcelo, Travelocity, Agoda, Cheap Tickets and Priceline so you can book your Occidental Atenea Mar - Adults only reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Atenea Mar Hotel Barcelona
- Barcelo Hotel Atenea Mar
- Barcelo Hotel Barcelona
- Occidental Atenea Mar - Adults Only Barcelona, Catalonia