“Lovely place, lots of noise”

Hotel Barcelona House
Ranked #283 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed April 9, 2014

The hotel was decorated in a modern style that appeared very clean, which was good. The reception was incredibly friendly and warm, which I appreciated. Unfortunately, we were in a position where we had to asked to have our room moved because of noise that was coming from the street. There is a popular club next door that I think must close around 3:30 or 4:00 AM. Once we moved rooms, the next night was perfectly fine.

Room Tip: If you like to sleep, pick a room that faces away from the street.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Virkin123
There are newer reviews for Hotel Barcelona House

Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

If you re one of those people who goes to sleep before 4am then this hotel is not for you. I was assigned a room on the top floor, the 5ft, and I could hear loud and clear with my window shut, the people on the street.
Walls are so thin I could hear my next door neighbours conversation.
The room looks a lot bigger and luxurious on their website, than it actually is.
Pillows are umconfortable, and the blanket (u know, those brown/honey ones, from our gradma's age, gave me allergies. I guess they don't have them cleaned that often.
They are very, very, very, but so very strict when it comes to check out time; They bloody woke me up by calling me at my room and hour and a half before checkout, to tell me I had to leave by 11:30 sharp, therefore shortening my hours of sleep. Not nice, not polite at all. First time ever in my life.
The place is very well located but with all the offer Barcelona has regarding hotels, I will definitely not stay there again, nor do I recommend it.
Keep looking folks! You'll find better.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Sofia M
Reviewed March 24, 2014

We have recently returned from a 3 night stay at the Hotel Barcelona House. After reading some of the latest reviews I had some concerns but went prepared. However, on arrival we were warmly welcomed by the staff, shown to our room on the 5th floor which was beautifully clean (if a little dark due to the modern style lighting) Yes, there is no kettle - so take your own if you need your morning cuppa. We booked room only, so I can't comment on the breakfast. The décor is minimalist and tends towards laminate/wood flooring (which is never great for sound proofing) so take earplugs if you're a light sleeper! We really didn't have a problem until the last night....but that was due to some thoughtless guests more than problems with the hotel. The location is fabulous (unless you're a fan of the metro), within strolling distance of many sights and entertainments. I want to make a special mention to Monica on reception. She is absolutely lovely and very helpful - a mine of information of do's and don'ts in Barcelona just what's needed to get the best out of a short stay in such a beautiful city. Decide what's important to you and go prepared. Just one word to the wise (and nothing to do with the hotel) - don't be tempted to eat or drink on Las Ramblas itself, it is incredibly expensive and a bit of a rip off ....just behind the hotel is a lovely square with lots of bars and restaurants charging half the price.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less street noise
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Rotty14
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. Upon check-in we were greeted by fellow patrons at reception wearing fancy dress outfits. This group had all the signs of a stag party - all male, loud and talking about how much alcohol they had already consumed and the bars/clubs they were planning to visit. We were worried and immediately thought we had booked the party the hotel. Luckily once this group moved on we didn't hear from them ever again.

The attendant at the reception was friendly and helpful, giving us a city map and orientation of the city with restaurant suggestions. The rooms are of average standard containing large and modern bathroom. The best thing this hotel offers is location, as it's 2min walk from La Ramblas and about 10min walk to the waterfront cafés and restaurants. This place is the perfect place to stay if you want to be in the heart of all the action.

The cons about this place have already been mentioned by previews reviewers. The walls are thin and as our room was situated next to the elevator we could here people's conversations as they made their way to their rooms. We also found our room to be too cold as the temperature is centrally controlled and constantly set to 17degrees. They offer spare blankets in the room which helped at night.

However our biggest concern was the "self serve" approach to the luggage room. As we checked out early on our last day we were handed the electronic key to drop off our own bags in the luggage room, as the sole attendant had to serve waiting customers. The same thing happened upon picking up our bags and to our surprise we found the door partly open by the last person collecting their bags. We travel with electronic devices and if our bags ever went missing due to poor luggage security, then this would be very costly for us.

Overall the only thing we liked about this hotel was the location and won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CultureStamps
Reviewed March 13, 2014

We just returned from a 2 night stay, as we were going over for the football (I don't think we were the 'drunk' ones making all the noise as per the review below) We stayed in a triple room and the room was very good. 3 single beds which was quite surprising as in the past it has usually been a double and a single. The bathroom was very nice, no issues at all with the room. The location was very good just off Las Ramblas we had no problems in finding it, even though you can get lost in the back streets of Barcelona as they all look pretty much the same to us. The only issue we had it was quite daunting getting back in to the hotel at the end of the night with the group of lads offering beer, drugs etc just outside the hotel, I know its not the hotels problem but if you were a lone traveller or a group of girls it wouldn't be very pleasant. we were on the 5th floor but you could still hear the noise from the streets below.
Overall a very good stay and it was well worth the price we paid

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank ManchesterDanny
Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed here for three nights and returned today. It took us a whole to find the hotel but when we arrived the staff were lovely and went up to our room. The whole feel of the hotel was very modern and the rooms were too. They were very basic with no tea and coffee facilities. The window looked out into a cover off service area and the shower was not the best. The room itself was great for what we wanted it for but what we didn't expect was the noise. The noise was worse at night. You could hear people coming down the corridors and the conversations through the walls. It was particularly bad on our last night due to the man city fans coming back drunk as the place was full of them! we thought it was just our hotel but speaking to a couple on the way back who stayed in a better hotel said they had the same noise problems. Our room was quite cold on the first night and the lovely lady on reception have us a spare card so our room could heat up during the day while we were out. The hotel was in a great location right by the La Rambla with plenty of Spanish and sea food restaurants around. The hotel was a 5 minute walk away from the hop on bus service that I would highly recommend that takes you everywhere! The only other problem is I would not recommend for groups of girls. The alleyways where the hotel is located can be quite seedy during the night with men hanging round on the corners. I was okay as I was with my partner but I wouldn't have felt safe on my own.
It's a get what you pay for. You don't spend much time in your rooms so for location and somewhere clean you're onto a winner!

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank Gobbo1982
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is perfect location if you want to be right in the middle of it all! It's not for u if u want a decent nights sleep. As pointed out in previous reviews there is a lot of noise coming from outside the hotel all night!! Literally until 5am! We stayed on the 4th floor and that was bad enough, I dread to think what a lower level floor would be like. Now onto my title, please do not make the same mistake we did! We paid an extra 60 euros for 4 days breakfast for 2 of us, so averages about 7.50 euro per person a day. For this all you get is a stale roll, a hard croissant or some nice yummy warm yogurts which have been sat out all morning! There isn't even any toast on offer! All u can have to drink is tea coffee or orange juice, no water! Which isn't great if like us your not tea/coffee drinkers! This was by far the worse breakfast we have had at a hotel. We are a couple in our mid 20s and travel a lot, we are not by any means picky but this really wasn't great! If you go ahead and pay for breakfast you will understand and will more than likely do wat we done, which was not even bother having the breakfast we paid for and go 2 mins down the road n get a Mcds breakfast for 3 euro! Much better idea!! Now to the rooms. The rooms where ok, good size, very nice bathroom, although there is no real door to the bathroom just a frosted glass door, so no real privacy. The rooms are very dark, it's lit by about 2/3 spot lights. There is also no mirror above dressing table, so to get ready(doing hair/make up) u have to go into the hall of your room and sit on the floor in a very dim light and use the full length mirror, which has no plug sockets near by! The bed is 2 single beds pushed together, they didn't even look like normal beds, more like fold up camp beds. The bedding was awful!! There were a few very itchy thin blankets you could use! The aircon/heating is controlled by the hotel, we stayed early march was beautiful weather during the days but chilly at night so would have been nice to be able to put the heating on for a bit. Woke a few times chilly, probably woke due to the very loud noise going on outside every night too! Also been mentioned in other reviews there is a weird stale smell to the rooms. All in all I would give the hotel a fair 3, but this is really only due to the hotel being central location.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple