“excellent service, clean, good food.”

Gran Hotel Torre Catalunya
Ranked #100 of 517 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed August 9, 2009

I dont normal leave reviews, but as i found this hotel on tripadviser i thought i would leave a quick message.
THe hotel is first class. Stayed on the 18th floor, Views look over the city. Quiet rooms, Food was excellent in the lounge bar and very cheap for the quality. Staff was very helpful. The hotel is ten minutes out off the city but u jump on a train outside the hotel! Get the tour bus for two days and use it to jump on and off the bus! Seen must off the sites on the bus tour.
Thiefs are in very city, but there is alot about barcelona. They appear to work in twos so be smart with bags and back pockets!
Would come back in the morning!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,895)

Reviewed August 7, 2009

We stayed for three nights at this hotel. We arrived at 1030am and we able to check in early, which was nice after a 15hr flight. The service was good generally; some staff made a real effort to make our stay enjoyable. The rooms were clean and the bathroom well appointed. The main problem with the hotel is the noise from both the corridor/other rooms and the street outside (which is opposite one of the main train stations in barcelona, sants. It was an additional 6 euro per visit to the spa and pool, which was a little disappointing considering the price of the room.

We liked the location best; the noise the least.

Reviewed August 6, 2009

My wife and I stayed at this hotel over the weekend from 25-28 July. Our superior room was on the 21st floor, giving great views over Barcelona. Bed was huge and very comfortable. Bathroom also big (double sinks) and had a great power shower (very welcome when returning from the heat of the city streets and the metro). Location was great for getting from the airport by Renfe train to the busy Sants Station (where we nearly got pickpocketed by a smooth operator who “accidentally” dropped his sunglasses in front of me while boarding the metro, then began to scrabble on the floor at my feet: fortunately I did not trip over him as he clearly hoped, so that he could “help” me while robbing me. Keep an eye out for him and his friend!). But while the metro is handy for getting in to the Ramblas and all the central sites, the hotel’s location is not
in a very interesting part of town – and even though we enjoy walking, and would have strolled into the centre, this became a no-no in the high summer heat. The reception desk, while far from glossy, is manned by a great, helpful staff. The restaurant on the top floor is worth at least one visit for dinner, slightly pricey but very atmospheric and with panoramic views. As regards the buffet breakfast, it can be hit or miss as the hot food often goes cold before new supplies arrive. And the “coffee” is execrable – just like the stuff they serve in the same company’s Mare Nostrum hotels in Tenerife. Strange, because otherwise this hotel was great value (oh, and we heard no noise from any other rooms, and the cleaning service was great – unlike that experienced by some New Zealanders’ who complained about both on TripAdvisor recently.) Room service too, came up trumps for us when we had to call on them following a disastrous visit to an Italian restaurant in the vicinity of the hotel. Yes, I’d return, but not in high summer!

1  Thank EBDUB
Reviewed August 5, 2009

We stayed at the Torre from July 26th to 29th. The hotel is a great place and for what we paid has to be the best value in town. As we were travelling by train, I was looking for a hotel close to the train station and this one is right across the street from Barcelona Sants, the main station in town. Check-in was flawwless and efficient. We were allowed into the room early and it was extremely spacious for european standards. We added the 12 euro breakfast and were not dissapointed. Yes the North American food is not fantastic (Bacon is good) but we went to Europe to experience the european food and the choice was plentiful and tasty. Service was good and the tables were cleared as soon as we got up for more. Breafast is served in the restarant on the 23rd floor and the view alone is almost worth the price.
Be aware that the hotel is not in the heart of the tourist zone, but you can be there by metro within 15 minutes.Caution though, Barcelona is bad for pick pockets. I all but lost my wallet to a guy who opened my zippered pocket and was helping himself to my wallet when I caught him at the last second. Apart from this we never felt unsafe and this is an amazing city with something for everyone.
Book this hotel with confidence you will not be dissapointed.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2009

Excellent. Hugh bathroom. Overall a very good hotel to explore barcelona if you don't mind taking the metro, which is not a probelm really.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for the last night of our tour in Spain. We love it...It was very clean and very close to the airport. The staff gave great information and was very helpful. The room was large and room service was good also. We would stay there again if wie travel back to Barca

Reviewed July 20, 2009

Check in was quickly and the staff was very friendly. I booked two superior rooms and had it upgraded to executive rooms short before my stay. The only difference between superior and executive is that the executive rooms are on the upper floors (I think 18 to 22). I had to pay € 12,00 per room per night for the upgrade and I found this acceptable because the higher your room is, the more spectacular the views are. They gave us two corner rooms on the 21st floor and I think we had the most magnificent view we have ever had in a hotel. We could even see the magic fountains on Plaza Espagna from our room and this was great. Breakfast is € 12,00 if you book it when checking in. The rooms are spacious and the bathroom is very nice, with seperate toilet / bidet and a spacious shower. They also have a bath. I think the rooms have been refursbished not too long ago. Everything looked nice. However, soms small things need to be repaired (a broken lamp, a broken shelf in the shower and the airco in one of the rooms didn't work properly). Minor things that are not acceptable in a five star hotel, but in my opinion acceptable in a four star hotel. Although I think management could improve there service if they would check these things regularly. In one of the rooms we had a coffee tray with coffee, tea and a water cooker. In the other room there was no coffee tray and I had to ask for this two times and after that we only got a water cooker, soms coffee and one cup. Not a complete tray with tea, milk and two cups. Apperantly it was too difficult for the staff to understand that every room should have a complete tray. One room also had no slippers and no extra pillows. The other room had no floor towel. I think that, even in a four star hotel, these amenities should be present in every room. Housekeeping was also not perfect. The floors were not spotless clean and in the bath tub we found some hairs. After all, I think the hotel is nice, the staff is very polite (but not always professional) and the hotel and the rooms look nice. I think the most important reason to book this hotel is for its fabulous views. Therefor I would advise to book an executive room. The hotel is close to Sants Station so that's very comfortable traveling from and to the airport. Trains leave every half our and the journey takes about 25 minutes. Please beware of pickpockets. There are a lot of them and if we were not so keen on this, we would have been victims ourselves! So please be careful, keep your belongings close to your body and try to avoid too many people close to each other in the metro or touristic places.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends