Hotel Gran Derby Suites
$214
$208
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Casa Camper Hotel Barcelona(Barcelona)
$373
  • Breakfast included
Hotel 1898(Barcelona)
$225
$182
  • Pool
Gran Hotel Torre Catalunya(Barcelona)
$149
El Palace Hotel(Barcelona)
$437
$424
  • Restaurant
All reviewsduplex roomsmall luxurygreat hotelcold buffethospital clinicminute walkroom servicequiet areastayed one nighttaxi rankstaff on receptionwifi connectionbreakfast was excellentbooked this hotelpublic transportthe room was nicegreat city
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We got a suite with a great bathroom and space to sit and eat. The shampoo etc. in the bathroom was awesome, they provided also sea salt for bathing, shower shoes and bathrobe. The room was very clean. I would definitely stay there again. I got the room through Hotel Tonight app and it was only $87.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director de Recepción at Hotel Gran Derby Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking your time and writing your opinion.
I inform you that we are working to improve the wi-fi service and we will take in consideration your others opinion about the bathroom. Thank you for your nice words about the staff, we try to do our best. Next time you book with us we will try to give you another room that is more of your taste.

Carlos Ariza

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Pros

The rooms were ample.
It was clean.
The staff was helpful and friendly, most of them spoke a little bit of english.
The buffet breakfast was good.
Great value.
The room had two televison sets.
The consierge spoke english, spanish, catalan and french.

Cons
The walls are paper thin, ergo you are always hearing voices, door slamming, sneezes etc. In fact, the first night I thought that someone had broken into the room. Though I should mention that my nerves were on edge since I was reading Stephen King's It.
The hotel might have trouble with the pipage because you could hear strange gurgling noices at night.
The location is not the best.
The wi-fi is spotty.
The view in our room was that of pebbles and bamboo.

Without the things above the hotel would be a 5 star hotel so I hope that management sees this review and tries to improve it's hotel.

Room Tip: HIgher floors have better views.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time and sharing your opinion with us.
We are deeply sorry for the inconvenience. We are working on the issue you mentioned regarding the internet, trying to improve the speed of the connection.
All our rooms are refurbished, therefore nobody has complained about the noise, but we will make sure to check the problem you mentioned specifically for the room you were in.

Your opinion is very important to us and we appreciate it very much. All staff would like to thank you for the great evaluation you have given.
We hope you will choose our hotel again for your next stay in Barcelona.

Carlos Ariza

Reviewed June 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights and got an upgrade to a luxury suite. The desk staff were excellent and very helpful, the breakfast was also excellent and served by a very nice lady. The rooms are comfortable but the bathroom could have been bigger and better designed - practicality should have taken precedence over modernity! There was no mirror outside the bathroom. The free wi-fi connection was hopeless so better to buy the upgrade which worked OK - eventually. The hotel is away from the centre of town but well situated for bus routes, both regular and tourist buses.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director de Recepción at Hotel Gran Derby Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking your time and writing your opinion.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I have enjoyed my staying at the hotel; the positive aspects are: clean, friendly helpfull staff, design, bathroom and beds. Negative: wifi connection doesn't work very well but it does for basic stuff, couch is not that confortable to sleep on (in case there is a third person in the room), breakfast a bit poor although good, not ver yclose to the center but reachable with public transportation in about 20-30 minutes. On the back of the hotel there are lots of building very close so you can hear some noises sometimes.

Room Tip: Room with pool view
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your opinion.
About the wi-fi connection, we are aware of our problems and we are working on it.
Not all of the rooms are at the back of the hotel, for the next time you book with us we can give you one of those. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights in a Junior suite, and was very pleased and satisfied. The staff was friendly, professional and helpful. The room and bathroom were spacious and clean, very functional, yet giving the feeling of a 'home' rather than an 'assembly-line' hotel. I particularly loved the possibility to fully open the windows (overlooking a quiet street and a nearby little park and playground), as well as the electric shutters which completely block out the sunlight allowing for a good sleep after a night of partying...The bed and matress were very comfortable as well.
The location of the hotel is excellent, not smack in the middle of the heavy tourist traffick, but still very close to the extremely efficient and convenient Barcelona public transport system. (The nearest Metro stations are about 10-15 min walk, but there are buses and trams on the Diagonal within 3 minutes walk, with which you can connect to the Metro on the same ticket). For those who prefer taxis (which are reasonably priced in Barcelona), there is a taxi stand right across the street. The hotel is within comfortable walking distance to big modern shopping centers and many nice retail shops. it is in an upscale residential/business area, and I always prefer to mingle with the locals rather than with tourists (although there will always be plenty of those as well -this is Barcelona).
For the sake of completeness, I can mention only 2 minor flaws: The first is that at a buffet breakfast, I woul expect some eggs (other than that the breakfast was excellent, and the breakfast room very pleasant). The second was the free ('basic') WiFi : The signal in my room was rather weak - I had no problem with my laptop, but on the iPhone I was sometimes unable to connect. The surfing speed is adequate for low-volume surfing, but too slow for streaming videos, etc.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
DireccionDerbyHotels, Director de Recepción at Hotel Gran Derby Suites, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

First at all thank you for your time writing this review on TripAdvisor,

We are truly pleased with your good impressions of our Hotel, we love you could enjoy the
details of our Junior Suite.

Our team strive hard to make our guests feel at home, enjoying the comfort of the hotel, the tranquility of the area and the easy connection to the bustling center of Barcelona.

Waiting to have you with us on your next stay in the city.

Kind Regards