“Beware bed bugs!!”

Ideal Youth Hostel
Ranked #240 of 722 Specialty Lodging in Barcelona
“Beware bed bugs!!”
Reviewed September 11, 2011

I have bed bug bites all over me. I actually found one crawling on me which was disgusting!! The breakfast is a very, very poor attempt. They served toast which is not toast but more like the dried croutons you buy at the store. Another attempt at breakfast was 2 small muffins.... Is that what you call breakfast? I asked for a cappuccino and got served hot burnt milk. The rooms were tiny and the SHEETS were NOT WASHED. I asked for a change of sheets coz my first lot was dirty (what looked like a big fluid stain) and they advised me they are supposed to charge me 2.50 euro?? But then they tell me they have a problem with the laundry.... So I get my second lot (in a bag displaying 'sanitised') and they are also dirty, have hairs on them and mascara stains on the pillowcases... clearly these hadn't been washed either. Horrible experience. I recommend you stay elsewhere!!

• Stayed September 2011
1 Thank dolly_dimplez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Polish first
moskow
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We were able to be with kids our age and became friends. The hostes is well, the staff is nice and there are many young people from other countries. We recommend it to people wanting to konow Barcelona and somebody.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed July 18, 2011

This place was weird. It´s supposed to be a proper hostel, but you can feel there are many dodgy things about it. First of all, they take as much money for a room in one of their two buildings, in La Rambla, as for a room in their main building. And the building in La Rambla is old, extremely noisy, not clean, very badly equipped, and I even saw a huge cocroach on the toilet cailing while I was taking a shower. Groze!
Their main building is a bit better, but still just about acceptable. Breakfast consist of little and very poor tasting toasts, coffee and "juice", and well... I don´t know exactly where and when, but in this hostel I´ve got BED BUGS´ bites. Enough said.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ComeonPilgrim

Travelers are raving about these Barcelona hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We wanted to be in the main part of the city for a few days of our Barcelona trip, so we stayed here for a few...bad mistake. Yes, it is in a great location! It's right by Las Ramblas. However, it's just not good or clean. The beds were awful (caved in when you layed down), half the lockers were unusable and rusty, the showers were strangely 2 showers per stall, and there was blood on my sheets and wall. Also, some sketchy people. I would avoid staying here and go somewhere like Barcelona Dream Hostel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Personal_Legend1
Negril, Jamaica
Reviewed October 22, 2010

We stayed in this hotel or two nights and discovered the bedbugs after the first. They moved us to a new room but did not take care of our luggage and clothes! Seems they do not care about keeping the place bug-free.

We recommend anyone to red up about bedbugs beforehand as it is not funny to bring them home with you and it costs about 200 euros to desinfect your luggage.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank genstef
Coimbra
Reviewed July 28, 2010

Since the moment we arrived I had the feeling i was in the right place for my vacation. In the heart of Barcelona where all the action is and near to the beach you can do everything you like to do in vacation in a very short distance walk or by metro. The Hostel is very clean and it has a wonderful staff that gave us the best tips ;)   We went to the local market ( La Boqueria) next to the Hostel and we bought lots of fresh fruit every day!! Me and my 3 friends were in a dorm with AC  and bathroom in our room which was very good.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Reykjavik, Iceland
Reviewed April 11, 2010

The Ideal Youth Hostel is quite big for a hostel, but the rooms, especially the dormitories are quite small. I stayed in a dorm for 10 people and apart from 5 bunk beds and a few small lockers there was no space for much else. For accommodation like that i think it's a bit too expensive. Also the breakfast was rather ridiculous.
Still, it's in a good location, the staff is friendly and all the place I've seen were very clean. So all in all, for a short stay, I would say it was a pretty good choice.

Stayed March 2010, traveled solo