“Very good hostel.”

Ranked #211 of 759 Specialty Lodging in Barcelona
Hobart, Australia
“Very good hostel.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

Visited with a friend recently in an 8 bed dorm, had no problems with the hostel. Was clean and staff were helpful. Only annoying thing was showers didn't have a space within the cubicle to place your things. Lockers and hostel were very secure, was told not an amazing area but never felt unsafe in the streets and having added security of swipe cards helped. Breakfast was good. Wifi usually reliable. Close to la rambla and paral-lel station. Supermarkets very close by as well!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2012

I shared a 10 person room with 8 of my friends and 2 others. The accommodation was basic but comfortable enough, although it was cramped at times. Facilities including the bathrooms were okay, but could have been cleaner. However, the location was very central and close to all nightlife and the atmosphere was fun and social. There was a lot of space in the common area to meet new people. We were told as girls not to walk down the street late at night, as it is not the best street but other than that the area was perfectly nice.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Sao Jose Dos Campos, SP
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

The room I'm staying at is hot as a sauna because the air conditioning is broken for 3 nights already.

The front desk staff can't find a solution for that and we keep sleeping and sweating every night. Barcelona is already hot and our bedroom is even hotter!!!

And more: I have booked a 8 bed dorm and they put us in a 10 bed dorm and no explanation was given for that.

I do not recommend this hostel as they cannot find simple solutions for their problems.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Guilherme M

Travelers are raving about these Barcelona hotels

Tbilisi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2012

The location is amazing, one of the lovely narrow streets of Barcelona. Its very near to Las Ramblas. The staff was very helpful.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Duckling21
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

Be Mar was a great place to stay in Barcelona. The rooms were clean and tidy and a huge locker allocated to each bed to lock your belongings so very secure. Clearly a dodgy area of Barcelona but come and go quickly and no probs. Staff make this hostel fab, great breakfast also. barcelona has huge pickpocketing issues so watch your stuff whilst walking around. Instructions to hostel from airport are clear which makes it easier other than the train fare has gone up so have some extra ready to buy your ticket.

Room Tip: Party hostel if you want it to be. lots of activities to meet other travellers.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

Stayed here for a week in Barcelona. Found the location to be descent, although found it to be a slightly sketchy area. But always travelled with a friend and paid close attention to our personal belongings, and had no problems.

Found the staff to be helpful, but very busy. Maids cleaned the rooms on a daily basis. Was nice to have individual lockers in every room that could fit our entire backpacks!

Saw a few large cockroaches in the bathroom, coming out of a hole in the floor. Maybe this is something more people are used to and I'm just being a princess, but I am from Canada and have certainly never seen anything like this before around here! Didn't see them in the rooms though. Also made sure not to leave food lying around, just in case.

The breakfast was adequate, nothing special, but a meal that is included in the price is always an advantage when you're paying for all your meals while traveling.

The downside for us was that we had several bookings, due to unforseen circumstances, and had to switch rooms a couple times, and we had run out of cash by this time in the trip and had to use credit cards. They charge you a certain amount per transaction when you use a credit card, so be aware of this and make sure you bring enough cash. It was my first time in Europe and I would definitely bring more and set more aside the next time around!

The worst part was that we had a 16 bed dorm a couple nights, and the air conditioning was broken. It was extremely stuffy, but we also had a couple drunken nights and were able to pass out quickly, so it could have been worse!

All in all, we had a good experience here. As far as hostels go, this one is descent, and the setbacks were minor and did not ruin our time.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2011

After staying here, and re-reading the other reviews, I wonder if the people who stayed here and thought it was the best hostel they've ever stayed at have stayed in any other hostels.

I made this reservation before having stayed in another Barcelona hostel, which I would stay at again in a second, but I won't be returning to Be Mar. I made the reservation based on price and location -- so let me start with that and then I'll move on to the other things. Traveling by myself, and not planning to spend much time in the hostel, mostly I cared about having a bed and bathroom. The bed was fine, for Ikea bunk beds, there are pillow, sheets and blanket available already, which is very good. The electronic key for the lockers is a good thing, because while I had my own with me, this makes things much easier + convenient. The bathrooms were clean, though if it's busy, I'd recommend bringing in your own in case there isn't any left -- this is not a nice thing to encounter. However, I don't know if it was just me (but how hard is it to work a shower/sink) but there was NO HOT WATER! Uhm, that might be fine in the hot Barcelona summer, but not when it's cooler outside and inside! And we're in Europe, not the developing world! So I'd like an at least tepid shower, thanks!

The location is great, though it's farther from the main part of Las Ramblas than I expected (when also dragging a suitcase from Placa Catalunya - though it's really not far at all otherwise). Depending on where you're arriving from, it's probably best and definitely closest to take the L3 Metro to Parallel. There are a few other metro stops very close by.

Now, on to the extras. I found the common area and galley kitchen to be cramped, the internet was not a stable connection (nor for the staff) and basically the whole place is windowless. A bit strange. While I realize that this is a hostel, and one with a bit of a reputation, to be carrying on in the common area at 8am still up from the night before was a bit disturbing to myself and other guests, and the person at the reception didn't ask anyone to be quiet. Breakfast is toast, cereal, instant coffee, tea, and toast. You get what you pay for.

The staff were certainly helpful and should be commended. They have to put up with a lot.

If you're traveling on an absolute shoestring, stay here, but even so I'd say that there are other hostels in Barcelona that have my vote now. Sorry, Be Mar.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo