“Cheap”

Ranked #395 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Cheap”
Reviewed October 6, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here in May 2009 for 5 days. The hotel is basic but very clean. Breakfast is very basic in the basement. When we were there we enjoyed the fact you could get a can of beer from the vending machine near reception for 1 Euro which accompanied our KFC dinner quite well.

I wouldnt stay here again but that I because I am used to staying in 4/5 star accommodation but the place is ideal if you are just looking for somewhere to sleep and dont mind the basics.

The hotel is central to Barcelona but we heard no noise as our window faced out onto a wall.

Near the hotel is what looks like a great restaurant/bar called Restaurante Los Caracoles which had rotisserie chicken in the outside display. Very busy though so would recommend an early visit/reserve if possible, - we unfortunately couldnt get a seat for dinner but enjoyed sitting at the bar and having a drink, entertained by the barman and generally people watching.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kazandlee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
Limerick, Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed October 4, 2011

Just came back from Barcelona and stayed at Comercio Hotel with my two friends. We knew where we going when we booked the room cause it one star raiting. We didtn expect much cause of it. . Room was'nt big, just 3 beds, desk with chair and wardrobe and a little balcony that goes to noisy street. We would go back there again, but would ask a room on the top floor so it'd be less noice. Apart from that location just perfect and great value for your money

Room Tip: ask for top floor to avoid noice from the street
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Renata K
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed June 11, 2011

Me and my boyfriend stayed here last summer 2010. From reading the reviews on tripadvisor i kind of knew what to expect. Yes, its really really noisy and you can here everything thats going on outside the hotel, but really if you're young and just looking for a place to stay for a cheap price then its here. You are right in the middle of the city and have everything you want to see in walking distance. And i must say that the rooms were very clean so I was happy. Probably by chance we got a room with a small balcony and this didn't really help with the outside noise because at night it got so loud with party people but we really did not mind and its better than having a room with no window. Reception was friendly and also helpfull if you needed directions somewhere. Breakfast was fine more than you need to start the day and I was happy to have it. I didn't like handing my room key in everytime when we leave the hotel but I always made sure that i had my important stuff with me just in case. I also left a note for housekeeping asking for a second bed sheet (me and my bf just can't share) and the left one for us neatly folded. There are some people wandering in front of the hotel asking if you want some drugs but honestly that seemed to be everywhere in barcelona. We just ignored them and walked away. We spent basically no money on the hotel and it was really great for just seeing the city because we fell in love with every building in barcelona. We mostly just came back to sleep at the Hotel and we had no problems with anything. I had the best vacation of my life.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travellerwoman19
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed June 6, 2011

I travelled June 2011 and was pleased with the stay at Hotel Comecio overall .
Points up: location, location, location, friendly staff, price.
POints down: hotel corridors look a bit shabby in 4th floor where I stayed, but they were in construction when I was there so I guess they are improving.
I guess 40euros a night for this sort of place and location is definitely value for money.
I am very happy to have paid the extra 20euros over a hostel saty, where I am sure I wouldnt have had the peace and tranquility and privacy I had at COmercio.
GIve it a try, if you are not looking for luxury and are on a controlled budget than this is fine.
Enjoy Barça!

Room Tip: ask for room in top floor, and away from street.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 28, 2011

I came here last July with a friend & I am sooo happy we stayed here. The room was very basic with two little beds & a tiny "balcony" but who the hell cares about the room when you're in BARCELONAAAA!!!! The location is perfect, right on Las Ramblas which is where you want to be! Also a short walk from the beach. It is literally right next to Plaza Reail which is a cool square with restaurants, bars, etc. Also just a 10 minute walk from Plaza Catalyuna which is where the tour buses are! When we first got there we were way earlier than check-in & they luckily said they had a room ready for us! The elevator is small but who cares, two people with luggage fit. They have a basic breakfast, we usually weren't awake early enough for that anyway! & they give you new towels everyday! Overall, for the price and location, this hotel is awesome!! I'm in love with Barcelona & I'd definitely stay here again on my next visit!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank WhatsUpBuddy
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2011

This is not a 5 star hotel, but a five star hotel is not what i paid for. Spent a week here and thought the location was fantastic. We never had any trouble at night and did not feel unsafe at all. Breakfast was small choice but enough to keep you going til dinner. Having first stayed in a room where the noise was unbearable til the early hours we asked to move and we put in a room with a window overlooking a courtyard in the middle of the building. Was a little smelly and warm but again for what we paid for, and the ammount of time spent in the room its not enough to put me off.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mandymoofriend
Wales
Reviewed April 8, 2010

We stayed in the hotel Commercio for 3 nights. The hotel reception is basic and is situated on the corner of a damp alley. Be warned when walking along there at night, very dangerous. I recommend not to travel alone as we had men block our path whilst walking and also offering us marujiarna and other delights. Our room was on the second floor with a very small lift and stair case to access it. Key cards were given but on one occasion the door did not lock and we had been out all day, luckily all of our valuable possesions were hidden. Our 'balcony' (a rail across a window) door would not lock and was missing a handle. The room was small which included four single beds and a bathroom. The shower was more like a dribble which made hair washing impossible! There were only two plug sockets available and being four women, we took hair straightners, dryers and phone/camera chargers which was not easy to use due to lack of an electricity supply. The bed sheets were not changed at all and the beds were made up once during our stay. There were what looked like blood stains on the sheets and pubic hair, luckily there were several towels in the bathroom shoved in the bday which we used to cover the sheets. Lastly, the worst aspect about the hotel is the very poor breakfast. There was no selection each day, just the same food each morning. There were crossaints, bread rolls and cornflakes which had to be served in a tea cup as there were no bowls. The orange juice was horrible and the yoghurt looked and smelt as if it was gone off and kept out of refrigeration. We ended up not even having breakfast there for the remainding two days and went to a lovely cafe down the road, certainly a relief from the hotel food. The staff are unfriendly and are impolite. We really recommened not staying here as it is situated in a dangerous area and is a very very poor hotel. Choose one of the higher rated and better star ones in a better area. Never ever again.

• Stayed April 2010
3 Thank Holidaysabraoadlover

Travelers are raving about these Barcelona hotels