“Great hotel, great service, would use again!”

Senator Barcelona Spa Hotel
Ranked #258 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I stayed here for 4 days with my wife and son. Despite it's "out of town" location, that didn't stop us enjoying ourselves. The hotel it close enough to the Collblanc Metro station to make La Rambla and all other attractions reachable very quickly and very cheaply (buy a "T10" ticket on the Metro)

The hotel is near Camp Nou, less than 10 minutes away on foot. If you're a football fan, I guess this is good for you!

Our room was on the sixth floor, it overlooked taller residential apartments, however it wasn't at all dark or gloomy. The bathroom was well-appointed, if perhaps just a little tight in parts - I kept bashing my arm off the towel rail (hardly a complaint).

My wife and son used the spa facility on the lower ground floor. Whilst we booked this hotel because of the swimming pool and spa, please note that the spa charges for entry and that the outdoor pool is seasonal. There are reduced rates for hotel guests. Given that I had booked this hotel using loyalty points, I didn't mind paying for the extra facilities the spa had to offer.

The buffet breakfast was terrific. Eggs and bacon were cooked to order. The coffee was good. The juice machine worked well and was supplemented by jugs of apple juice in a chiller. Various sweet cakes were available, these tasted amazing! Chilled meats and fresh fruit were also available.

Dinner in the bar area was acceptable. However dinner in the restaurant was a much better affair. We enjoyed a buffet dinner, the steaks were amazing. The staff were very helpful and gave our son a dish from the bar menu.

We hired a car and drove to Port Aventure, south of Barcelona. This hotel made a good start and end point - it's close to main motorway too. Hotel staff were "on the ball" and recommended hire car companies at Sants Estació - my son and I walked there, although the Metro would have been the quicker option.

Overall:
- very very pleasant staff in all departments, made our stay very enjoyable
- food was to a high standard, often cooked to order
- room was very comfortable, free mini-bar for Pepsi and water is a nice touch
- close to Camp Nou, great if you want to visit the ground and the museum
- easy access to Barcelona's Metro and therefore all of its attractions

We would return to the hotel were we staying in Barcelona in the future.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Craig M
P-Stor, Gerente at Senator Barcelona Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Dear guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for your review as this is the best way to know our guests’ feelings during their stay, making us the way to obtain a product adapted to everyone’s needs.

We really appreciate your comments about our room’s facilities , buffet and all our equipment; we just try to offer to our guest the best quality, and your comment makes us feel proud of our daily work, with the only goal of meeting our guests’ need.

Regarding the location, although our Hotel it´s not on the centre, If you are coming to Barcelona just to see a football match, one of the main advantages of our location is that we are just five minutes far away walking from the stadium, avoiding queues and waiting on the metro or bus and connection with the city is quite simple thanks to the 54 or D20 buses or by metro.

Next time you visit our hotel, our reception will inform you about the advantages you could enjoy if you visit us again, or if you decided to enjoy to our Club Playa Vip. We hope your comments will other future customers not to hesitate in choosing us as the destination for their stay in Barcelona and, of course, we would be very pleased to see you here again.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I arrived on Saturday morning to discover that my reservation was cancelled through no fault of the hotel. Raphael took care of everything in a very professional manner and is the one shining light of this hotel. He provided me with another room which was better than the one I had booked and was extremely helpful throughout my stay.

The room was quite nice and clean as you would expect from a four star hotel.

I was going to the Barcelona vs Real Madrid match and afterwards decided to get something to eat at the hotel as it was very close. The menu at the Piano bar was very limited for a four star hotel. I ordered a chicken curry breast and what I got was a diced chicken breast in curry. No rice!! To say it was disappointing is an understatement.

The service was terrible as there was one bartender who had to do everything on his own. I cant understand why the management could not foresee that after the match that it would be busy. At least two tables walked out and I could overhear other customers expressing the same opinion as me. The poor guy did his best.

I went to the receptionist after eating as I was having difficulty connecting to the wi-if. This lady who worked on the Saturday night is the rudest receptionist I have ever met in a hotel anywhere in the world. She was rude and snappy to a simple request. Realising that she was not going to deal with my query in a mannerly way, I thanked here and left.

This is a shocking hotel with poor service and terrible staff with the exception of Raphael who had the most difficult task to deal with. I usually stay in the Madanis Hotel nearby but it was fully booked so I decided to try this hotel. Never again. Avoid at all costs!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
8  Thank Rabbit96
P-Stor, Gerente at Senator Barcelona Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear Guests,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel, that´s the best way to get our main goal, the satisfaction of our guests. We are sorry for your disagreement regarding your point of view of hotel. We are trying to give the best quality and service at all our customer.

We regret that you had a bad beginning in the hotel, but as our staff explained you during the checking, few days before your arrival, we received an email from the agency petitioning the cancellation of your booking. Anyway, we always tried to do our best.

We really appreciate your positive comments about our cleaning service, nevertheless it´s a surprise for us to know, you had a bad impression about our staff. We apologize about it if the service you received were not enough for you; normally we have really good reviews from most of our guest, but I will share your comments with them to improve our service.

Regarding your point of view of our bar service, but let me explain you that evening took place an important football match and people use to go out to celebrate it, so the staff was adjusted to our prevision. In any case, we regret that the service offered at just then, was not what you expected.

Once again, thank you for your opinion and if you decide to give us another opportunity, which we would very much appreciate, please let us know beforehand so that all our organization can be at your service.

You’re sincerely,

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I went at this hotel with my best friends last month. I can say that the staff is great and the atmosphere as well. What else to say! The rooms were clean, spacious and had the best look. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was equiped with a brilliant shower. Admittedly the room was of modest proportions but it was enough to keep people comfortable. Another point which I would like to highlight is that the internet is available in the room. Also the food of their restaurant was great!

Room Tip: Just ask the staff =).
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Reliever
P-Stor, Gerente at Senator Barcelona Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all, I would like to thank so kind comments to our staff and establishment. I really appreciate them. Make sure that I will pass on this comment to them, as our main interest is to achieve that all our guests leave the hotel with a wonderful memory of their stay.

It is a pleasure for us, to know that you enjoyed your stay to much as you detailed in your description and appreciated those little aspects, like the comfortability or cleaning of the room.

We are at your disposal and hope you can come to visit us soon. In the meantime we will keep working to achieve all our guests enjoy their stay at the hotel.

Your sincerely,

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Took a chance and booked a taster stay in Barcelona using a Groupon deal which included this hotel. Looks nice, pool and spa and has a 4 star rating so went for it.

Hotel is set in a suburban, residential area and is surrounded on 3 sides by apartment blocks. Efficient Reception area who answered any queries we had. Fairly basic public areas and all looking a little tired. One small lift to serve 7 floors. Standard sized room with usual amenities and bathroom included bidet. All very clean and generally in a good condition but the bed was too firm for us. Only 1 pillow each was supplied but they did provide another when requested at Reception. Usual tea/coffee tray but only 1 milkpot each. We decided to use the pool on the Sunday afternoon only to be told that it is closed from 1 October and, if we wanted to use the indoor thermal pool, it would cost E13.50 each. Breakfast was also additional. As we are both trying a 'juicing' regime, we thought we would just have some fresh fruit. However, we would have had to pay the cost of the full breakfast at E12.50 each. There was a smaller 'Express' option but that didn't include the fresh fruit.

A bit of a disappointing stay and now know where not to stay for our next visit!

Room Tip: Somewhere else!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bearsey30
P-Stor, Gerente at Senator Barcelona Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Dear Guests,

First of all, thanks for your opinion because that´s the best way to get our main goal, the satisfaction of our guests.We are sorry for your disagreement regarding your point of view of hotel. We are trying to give the best quality and service at all our customer.

Regarding the lift, we would like to apologize for the waiting, but as my colleagues from reception informed you, we had many problems during the weekend and they were fixing them.
Although currently our Express breakfast doesn’t includes fruit, but we will take into account your comment, as we believe it a good idea.
We regret not covering your expectations and we will be delighted if you offer us the opportunity to return to have you back in any of our establishments, and then even if our outdoor pool is closed, you will have the possibility of enjoy our spa for free.

Yours sincerely.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights for my sons to visit the Football Stadium!! The hotel is clean and basic, and it is a great hotel for access to the Football Stadium! There is only 1 English channel on the TV and the hotel is isolated from the tourist hotspots so in the evening there is nothing to do as there are only a few local bars over the road. The pool is small but helps cool off after a long day sightseeing! The breakfast was good and staff attentive. We got taxi's into the centre of Barcelona as too far to walk. Best way to see to Barcelona is the open top buses, never thought I would enjoy this, but was great value for money and was great hopping on and off as everything is spread out across the city so you wouldn't see everything by foot! I would only stay at this hotel for the location to the Football Stadium

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
P-Stor, Gerente at Senator Barcelona Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear guest,

First of all I would like to thank you for your review as this is the best way to know our guests’ feelings during their stay, marking us the way to obtain a product adapted to everyone’s needs.

As you said, our hotel is characterized by close proximity to the football stadium, but we are also very well connected with many public transports, giving you the chance to visit most emblematic places of this great city.
We would like to inform you, that in further times you visit us, that you will get advantages concerning the spa and, if interested, you can ask for the card where you can get special discounts in your next stays in any of our establishments.

Once again to reiterate our thanks, and let you know that we hope to seeing you in any of our establishments.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Hotel is good in general: quiet rooms, friendly staff, etc.
But due to the fact, that it is a 4*-hotel, you don´t get good enough value for your money. Either should it be a 3*-Hotel or the rooms should be cheaper.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
1  Thank Christina F
P-Stor, Gerente at Senator Barcelona Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all what it could have been.

We regret to not provide us their discomfort during their stay, since knowing, what were the aspects that both disappointed him and try to offer them a solution would have liked.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

We checked the reviews for this hotel before going and as the negative reviews seemed minor was feeling optimistic about our visit! Our experience was great! The hotel was clean, the staff were friendly and helpful and the food was good!

After landing at the airport we went to the train station and bought a T10 ticket ( beware - when you have bought your ticket you MUST pop it through the gates to get it validated - we walked through an open gate and ended up being find for not having a valid ticket!!!) we got off at Barcelona Sants station walked down to the Metro - took the blue line and 3 stops later arrived at Collblanc station which is a 8 minute walk from the hotel, just stay on the same side and facing the road head right - the hotel is just down the 3rd turning on the right - so very easy to get to.

Our check in was swift and we were pleasantly surprised when we got to our room- it was not large, but was clean and had everything we needed. As you are in the middle of a city there is not a view, we were in room 612 which over looks the front of the hotel on the 6th floor.

The décor of the hotel I would say is late 80's/90's. The beds were comfy with an attached remote control that allowed you to lift the rear of the bed into a sitting position- great for reading!! The sound proofing is great and the windows are tinted-I thought at first the room was a bit gloomy- then opened the window and realised it was the glass, there are also black out curtains.

There is a free mini bar that was replenished every day with 4 bottles of water and 2 bottles of Pepsi.

Every day the toiletries were replaced as were the towels - 2 large and 2 hand towels. There is a safe and a hairdryer, iron and ironing board.

The breakfast buffet which was included with our room was good - the croissants were lovely - especially the chocolate ones! The griddle chef will cook your egg, bacon, sausage or omelette fresh for you on request-much nicer than having it sit stewing under lights! There was the usual assortment of meats, fruits, cereals, yoghurts, fruit juice, rolls and tea and coffee

We only had one evening meal at the hotel from the bar snacks menu - it was described as a crispy pizza - I had tuna my husband had cheese- and it was what it said on the tin- a crispy pizza -about 3/4 of an A4 sheet of paper size.

We'd planned what we were going to do well in advance and probably avereraged about 14km a day walking - so by day 2 our less than fit bones were protesting a bit so we decided to go for a spa. Yes it would have been nice if spa access was included, but at 13 euros a head we thought what the hell! The spa is sort of themed to look a bit like a childrens play area, which is odd as its thankfully over 18's only. Having said that I loved it! There are 2 saunas ( with or without swimsuits! ) we kept ours on so I can only commment on that one but it was large hot and clean! There is a large almost pitch black steam room which once you get used to lack of lighting is very relaxing. One of the pools has neck jets which are brilliant if like me you suffer with neck and shoulder pain, there is also a mist cave which is rather nice and bizarrely a 'fruit pool' which is a small pool with lots of oranges floating in it - smells great and I got in some jugggling practice!! There are assorted warm, cold and jaccuzzi pools and after an hour or so I felt relaxed and refreshed.

All in all I would not hesitate to stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Annebo777
P-Stor, Gerente at Senator Barcelona Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Dear guest,

Thanks for your detail review, we really appreciate these words.

It is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed staying in our hotel as much as your review says. Your comment makes us feel really proud of our daily work, with the only goal of meeting our guests’ needs.

As indicated in your comment, our hotel is not located in the city center; although we are located in an area very well connected by public transport and just a few minutes from downtown.

We are glad; you could enjoy and appreciate all the facilities we offer to our guest as free minibar in your room, safe and iron.
Please do not forget in further times you visit us, that you will get advantages concerning the spa and, if interested, you can ask for the card where you can get special discounts in your next stays in any of our establishments.