“A Nightmare”

Ranked #206 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Deutschland
“A Nightmare”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

They don't care about their guests. They have a karaoke night at Thursdays, which is horrible enough. The official program in the elevator says it lasts from 19:00 till 22:00 which woud be annoying enough. But they don't stop at 22:00 and after complaining at half past ten as a guest who is just enormously tired after a very busy day, they just don't care, they continue. They even continue after your second call close to 23:00 and at 23:10 after you have asked for another room and they can clearly hear that you are outraged they tell you to wait on the phone and won't come back to you untill you hang up after five minutes.
No way to recommend this place, the place is loud anyway, but the Karaoke is unbelievable. Rooms are what you should expect from a 4-star hotel, but nothing special. Stuff is incredibly unprofessional, not even the manager is able to apologize. My stay even started bad, cause my room was not ready at 13:50, which meant that I had to wait for check-in at 14:00, and of course I myself hat to check after 15 minutes if I finally can get into the room. Not that I can not deal my luggage by myself, but strangely enough there was noone who took care about luggage.
Wi-Fi connection was ridiculously bad too.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank OMOOM O
MARTA A, Director General at Catalonia Eixample 1864, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear guest,
thank you very much for your comments in Trip Advisor and I regret your bad experience. I would like you contact to me in order to give you personally my apologizes. Kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Lamia
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We booked a room for 3, to find ourselves in a small room for two with an extra bed squeezed in. The room was 2.5x3m with no a/c or any ventilation! The only option would be to open the window, which was blocked by the 3rd bed. Squeezing the 3rd bed further to make room for the window to open meant that sb had to sleep next to an open window. We asked the staff why the a/c was not working to hear that at this time of the season it is not functioning and the only option to get some air in the room was to open the window. Dirty cutlery borrowed from the restaurant were not picked up from the room for 2-3 days. Extremely loud wheeled equipment (from the cleaning ladies?) moved in the corridors outside the rooms as early as 9am. Construction works in the building for which we were never warned: neither at the booking, nor during check-in.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear guest,
thank you very much for the time you spent writting this comments in Trip Advisor. Of course it will helps us to improve in the future. Do not hesitate to contact me for any further information and I will be more than pleased to assist you. Kind regards.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 28, 2014

I stayed here with a tour group and was shocked to come home one day to find 70 euro stolen from my wallet which had been hidden in my carry on bag.
I'm also vegetarian and upon arrival had a choice of chips or salad for dinner because the hot vegetables had been tossed with ham. After bringing this up I was then ignored while everyone around me was served drinks. Terrible service, terrible staff. If you plan on staying here take all your valuables with you or lock them up.

• Stayed March 2014
5 Thank aussietraveler97
Dear guest,
thank you very much for your comments but at this moment I had no notice that this bad experience happened in our restaurant with a group. In fact, this accusation that you write today against the staff is very serious and if you want I would like you to provide me with evidence and, of course, I would be more than pleased to assist you in your complaint. For the group meals is an standar, I regret we could not satisfy your expectations. I would be so glad you contact me soon in order to have more information about. Thank you so much for your time and kind regards.
Houston, UK
Reviewed March 26, 2014

We used this hotel a few years ago as we liked the terrace rooms on the top floor. We booked the same again but were not told about building work to make a swimming pool on the roof. This meant that from 08:00 to 18:00 the rooms were subject from drilling through brick walls and some demolition. This was 3m. from our room. OK, it ends at 18:00 but BCN is a big city and sometimes you need a rest in the afternoons. Staff were not disinterested and Duty Manager hid in his office (wimp!). No refund offered - rooms are already about €150 per night, so not cheap. We were offered another room - 4 rooms from where we were, pointless. Staff do not seem to have any empowerment, therefore, can only smile and apologise! Simply we should have been e-mailed to mention the building work - very bad behaviour. Good points? decent breakfast, most staff ok except housekeeping. Room uncleaned until 16:00 until we contacted reception. This could be a good hotel but not at present. It's a dishonest mess. We left a day early to a much better hotel. Not a penny discount for our problems. Hit them where it hurts - do not book.

Room Tip: If you must stay here you need to avoid the upper floors - but then you miss the best rooms. Best to...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AviatorHouston_UK
MARTA A, Director General at Catalonia Eixample 1864, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Dear guest,
first of all I would like to send you all my apologizes if we could not satisfy your expectations during your last stay. Although I have to inform you that in our building we have not swimming pool and for the moment we are not thinking in have it. Maybe in the future. I mean, maybe you are refering to different maintenance service we have made in our air conditioning system on the corridors last week. Thank you very much for your letter and kind regards.
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2014

A good central location, clean comfortable room and helpful staff, especially Diego who always had a smile and a friendly word for us! Just what we needed for our three night stay in the city and just a short walk to Passieg de Gracia with lots of impressive architecture including Gaudi's Casa Batllo and La Pedrera. Very easy to get to by train from the airport; there is a subway to Passieg de Gracia station, which has a direct train to/from the airport every 30 minutes, on Carrer de Roger de Lluria just North of the hotel. We booked a standard room without breakfast as we wanted to get our coffee and croissant at local cafes/bakeries of which there are plenty in the surrounding streets. An 'all you can eat' buffet restaurant a short walk South of the hotel on c/Roger de Lluria provided a plentiful lunch just after we arrived and sustained us for an afternoon of exploring. The Metro stations at Girona and Passieg de Gracia provide easy access to the rest of the city. I would certainly consider staying here again.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are on the lower floors, the superior rooms with terraces are on the upper floors...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank JaneyT62
Dear guest,
thank you very much for the time you spent writting this comment. We are more than pleased we cover your expectations. Do not hesitate to contact us in your nex visits to Barcelona. Best regards
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

We absolutely loved the hotel. Excellent staff, great service, superb location. We were on our honeymoon and do not regret staying here at all. The main plaza, shopping etc are just a stone throw away. Your hop on hop off busses also start literally 10 mins from the hotel. The staff is friendly and very helpful. The breakfast was pretty good too.basic and simple. Would have been great though if we got some more vegetarian options. But overall we loved the hotel. Would definitely stay there again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
thank you very much for the time you spent writing in Trip Advisor about us. It helps new travellers to know better our hotel. We wait to receive you very soon in the city and, of course, in Catalonia Berna Hotel. Kind regards.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Stayed here on business last summer for four nights.
This is a nice hotel, only 15 minutes walk from Catalonia square.
Centrally located, this hotel offers easy access to public transportation.
The staff were nice and very helpful.
Breakfast was good.. so was the coffee.
It was a pleasant stay! :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank KKH786
MARTA A, Director General at Catalonia Eixample 1864, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear guest,
thank you very much for your comments about our Hotel. This feedback is the best quality barometer that we have. I will pass through my staff your opinion, they will be more than pleased to receive them. Best regards