“good location”

Ranked #205 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Tel Aviv, Israel
“good location”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Nice clean hotel in a great location, about 10 mins,walk to cataluyna square. Very central, you can catch metro from catluyna sqare to all the main attractions in the city.
Rooms standard for large european cities, well maintained,clean.best rooms on inside, not on the road side, no airconditioning in the winter months, including march, not very cold so you must open the window for air,so best to get a room on the inside, no noise from the road
Breakfast very good andservice is great and very friendly. It is a small hotel, so no overcrowding.
All the staff speak good english. I recommend this hotel. Great features for central hotel in a very big and popular city.

Room Tip: Room on the inside not facing main road
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jackbuny
malamany, Director General at Catalonia Eixample 1864, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear guest,
thank you very much for writing in Trip Advisor. It helps to my staff and also to new travellers who wants to reserve in our hotel. We are so pleased with your comments. Thank you very much. Do not hesitate to contact us if you visit the city again. Kind regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Auckland
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I was recommended this hotel by a local. It is clean and the rooms are spacious and well equipped. I can't comment on location as I am here for business but other comments indicate it is well positioned for a tourist.
Breakfast was excellent, plentiful buffet with a good selection of hot and cold food.

Only downsides for the business traveller are;

Internet access while free is extremely slow. I peaked at 15 kb/s which is slower than dial up speed.

Also I had travelled for 29 hours from New Zealand to arrive just about midnight. They put me in a smoking room, which I was too tired to change until the next day. I asked for an iron and ironing board. This was a major problem. Apparently a previous guest had ironed on the bed and almost burnt the hotel down, so no irons were available.

This just doesn’t work for a business traveller. Apparently they have not heard of ironing boards here. All other hotels I stay in, budget to expensive manage to supply an iron and ironing board, but note here. Ironing board exporters, Spain could be a completely undeveloped market as they have not heard of them here.

So reasonable hotel let down by lack of minor amenities a business traveller takes for granted.

Room Tip: Try for an interior room as the road noise can be loud, even with double glazing.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SimonBunn
Dear guest,
thank you very much for your comments in Trip Advisor. It has a great value for me. I am really pleased and I take note about your suggestion with the iron boards. In fact, for the moment we have not a good experience with the iron in the rooms. Please, contact us for your next times in Barcelona and we will show you we are worthy of your confidence. Kind regards.
Haifa
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

The location, half way between plaza Catalunya and Sagrada Familia, couldn't be better. The staff is very helpful and speak good English. Breakfast is delicious, fresh and abundant. The hotel is neatly maintained, clean and worm. I asked for an inner room, facing a patio, and it was quiet like a tomb. It was a little bit too warm, but I opened the window and problem solved. I'll be back.

Dear guest,
thank you very much for your comments about Catalonia Berna in Trip Advisor. It helps new travellers know better our staff and services. Do not hesitate to contact us in the future. You will be more than welcome. Kind regards.
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed February 23, 2013

In February 2012, I (in my late twenties) stayed at Hotel Catalonia Berna for two nights during a business/leisure trip. Hotel Cataloia Berna is located in the Eixample quarter, only a 15-minutes walk from both Sagrada Familia and Las Ramblas. My room (503) was quite spacious with a nice bathroom. Everything was clean.

A negative thing about the room was the fact that the only window in the room opened to an inner courtyard – and other hotel guests would be able to look directly into the room, if the curtains weren’t closed. Also, according to a hotel employee, the temperature in the room was at constant 24 degrees and couldn’t be changed which was quite uncomfortable. Last but not least, the walls were very thin and you could hear everything that was said in the neighboring rooms.

The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful: I was even led to my room, where an employee explained the air conditioning, minibar, etc. Breakfast was great with various things to choose from – and a cook would prepare fresh omelets, too.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Just_us_worldwide
Dear guest,
thank you very much for your comments in Trip Advisor. As you explain, we have rooms placed to a courtyard and placed to the street views but all of them have positive aspects. The rooms placed inside are more calm and a lot of travellers request this kind of room. But please, do not hesitate to contact us in the future if you visit the city and request us an exterior room if you prefer street views. We will be more than pleased you come back to our Hotel. Thank you very much. Kind regards.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I cannot say enough about this hotel. It is located close to the center of the City, it is clean, and the exterior is beautiful. The best thing about it is the super friendly staff. I want to mention specific people that made our stay great. Sintu, Diego, Berta, and other front desk staff were always professional, helpful, attentive, and spoke excellent English. The housekeeping staff was friendly. The people who work here love their jobs and that makes a difference.

My only advice is to try to get an Exterior room. Yes, it is more noisy, but the natural light is better. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Request and exterior room, non-smoking.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank EastieSailor
Dear guest,
thank you very much for your comments in Trip Advisor. We are so pleased with. It is the best quality barometer: receive our guests opinion!!! Do not hesitate to contact us if you come back to Barcelona. We will so pleased to assist you. Kind regards.
Los Osos, California
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We'd been in Spain for nearly 3 weeks when we arrived from Madrid by train. The hotel had been recommended by friends and the Catalonia Berna turned out to be our favorite! What a nice surprise. From the moment we arrived, the reception clerk took special interest in what we wanted to do while visiting Barcelona and told us -- in perfect English -- more than we could have hoped for. We upgraded to a balcony room and are glad that we did. The extra room and views of the neighborhood were a delight. A new "Nespresso Bar" had been added several weeks before our arrival, and what an added benefit it turned out to be. The barman (we called him "Elvis") provided great service (in fluent English) for coffees, snacks, light dinners and good advice. He went out of his way to provide little extras (like ice in a plastic bag when my roommate injured her wrist). The room was spotless and well appointed. The WiFi free -- it drives me crazy when hotels nickel and dime their guests with extra charges for the service. One hotel charged 18 Euro per night for WiFi so when the Catalonia said it was free, we were thrilled. The breakfast was excellent and served early enough to be helpful. The food was fresh with great variety and good flavor. A chef was willing to make omeletes to order at no extra charge. This hotel is well located, close to the sights and easy to get to the Metro. The staff are very willing to explain how to get to various points of interest and will provide excellent instructions for the metro or walking. We will definitely return and will sing their praises in the mean time!!! Excellent pricing too!

Room Tip: Ask for the balcony, it makes the room seem so much bigger.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Califia
Dear guest,
thank you very much for the time you spent writting your experience on Trip Advisor. We are more than pleased with and we hope you visit the city soon and you come back to Catalonia Berna Hotel. Kind regards.
Brighton
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stay in too many hotels, and I still look forward to this one. Good service with no fuss.

The hotel is modern and very clean. The rooms are spacious and quiet with efficient double glazing, so outside noise is not a problem as it can be in many city centre hotels.

The restaurant is good but not excellent, but there are many other choices nearby.

I am bothering to write a review because the experience that I have had there on all three visits has been consistently excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a terrace room on the top floor - not an expensive option off peak.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,
thank you very much for your comments. I am so pleased for the time you spent writting great things about my staff work. They make it possible, they cover your expectations and when they receive this information will be more than glad. Thank you very much and do not hesitate to contact us in the future. Best regards.