“Best hostal in barcelona!!”
Review of Hostal Martinval

Hostal Martinval
Ranked #22 of 308 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

Been there with a friend about a month ago. We got a really big&clean room. The staff is amazing- helped us a lot with every request. The location is really good as well-only 2 minutes walk from "passeig de gracia" and the metro station. Very recomended!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 1, 2014

My only negative is that we thought we booked a triple room, but ended being 1 single and 1 double, which I shared with my brother. This wasn't a big deal for us but could be for others..

We stayed here for 2 nights wanting to cram all the sight-seeing tourist type things to do in those 2 days we were there. The hotel is clean and the staff are so warm and friendly. We arrived late, about 11pm local time and 2 members of staff greeted us with beaming smiles. They made a fantastic effort to speak English with us. The free wifi came in handy to book tickets online & the staff let us print the tickets out on their printer.

Location is fantastic. plenty of little bars and cafes within 1 minute of walking. Walking distance of Sagrada Famillia and Placa De Catalunya (Airport bus shuttle highly recommended also!) The bus tour stops are also within walking distance which we pretty much used as a taxi service to get around.

Would recommend this hotel for location alone! Staff were happy to look after our suitcases too whilst we went out on the final day.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Dan W
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We were given a room right next to the lobby, and could hear everything that happened there during the night. The room was quite dark and the bed was short (but still comfortable). The location of the hotel was excellent, with great restaurants, cafés, and bars close by, and walking distance to the city centre (or about six euros by cab). I'd possibly stay here again, but I would definitely ask for a better room.

Room Tip: Get a room that's not next to the lobby.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nallekavn
Hostal-Martinval, Director General at Hostal Martinval, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Dear guest ,

Thank you for your comment. We are happy that you enjoyed our location and the comfy bed.

Of course we are less happy to hear that you suffered noise in your room and that it was not very illuminated, So , we are handling the noise problem as much as we can and updated all our staff and expect them to extra attention with this issue. about the room illumination , there is not to much we can do as the BUDGET rooms are like this, facing an inner patio. I will be very happy if you contact us before you book in the future and I will make sure personally that you will get a better, full of light room.
We really do hope to see you again here in Martinval!

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Me and my husband stayed here for 4 nights in a triple room on the sixth floor (One good sized double bed and a single that we put our suitcase on). The room had a concrete balcony that you could stand on and which looked over the quiet street below. We enjoyed opening up the large shutter doors and windows and looking out onto the new day and breath in clear morning air (no traffic or street smells). Thick pull across curtains gave the room a cosy feel and blocked out the sunlight to enable a good lie in. We thought the room was very quiet - no street or hotel sounds. We had a wardrobe, a television (which we didn't use) and a chair and table - plenty of floor space. Room, bathroom and bedding all immaculately clean and in good condition The bathroom had a good sized wash basin with plenty of space around it to put your toiletries. The walk in shower was roomy and had reliable hot water and good pressure.The towels weren't changed every day but this wasn't a problem for us. The bed was made every day with care. I have a few joint pains so I found that the bed was too hard for me and I struggled to sleep but if if you don't have these problems yourself then you'll be fine. The lift always worked which was reassuring - we found that it was best to walk up the short flight of stairs to the first floor reception and then get the lift from that point upwards.For some strange reason we couldn't manage to call it from the ground floor. The reception was always manned and exceptionally efficient and helpful. I'd say that this was more of a hotel than a hostel.
Local eateries that we thought were value for money and very good were the mussel restaurant around the corner, and Cerveceria Catalana on C/ Mallorca for excellent tapas (worth waiting for and the cava is lovely). Also A Gianni on C/Valencia for a great Italian pasta/pizza. The Spar a few doors down is handy for picking up water and snacks (closed Sunday).
My only gripe was that we couldn't get the WiFi to work in our room because of the distance from the reception. If we needed to use the internet we had to go down to the reception area. A room safe would have been welcome but we used our lockable suitcase to store our valuables so it wasn't an issue - we felt that the hotel and the neighborhood were very safe by the way. Barcelona is not a budget destination in my opinion and I strongly recommend staying in this characterful and friendly value for money hotel, taking the metro into the main tourist spots and saving your pocket money for spending on food/drink and cultural experiences.
P.S Don't take a taxi back to the airport - it cost us 40 Euros!! Go to Plaça Catalunya and get the Aerobus to the airport

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank tc_teece
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I went to Barcelona for the Primavera Sound Festival and I spent three nights at Martinval. The hotel is in a fantastic location, close to the underground and many amenities (there is a cafè just behind the corner where they make delicious bagels!). The staff is very friendly, especially the owner. Our room was spacious, full of light and extremely clean - which is always my primary concern when I travel! I would strongly suggest this hotel to young couples and groups of friends. Barcelona is amazing and staying at this hotel made my experience even more relaxing!
I read some negative reviews about the noise during the night, but I have to say that it wasn't my case..maybe I was lucky!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank desidaros
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Helpful staff, wonderful position in the Eixample, lovely building, big room and free wifi. Reception is open 24 hours and they are really warm. The position is ideal, not too touristic and exactly between Plaça Catalunya and la Sagrada Familia. The building gives you the idea to actually live in Barcelona, since the hostal shares the building with other families.

Room Tip: Fifth floor is nice and quiet. enjoy
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Rita A
Reviewed March 26, 2014

Lovely hotel. Such friendly staff who were so helpful immediately upon arrival.. Our room was lovely, clean and bright and the bathroom spacious and very clean. Would definitely stay again.The only negative thing was my WiFi connection wasn't very good.

Room Tip: A private bathroom was nice.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple