“Great time in BCN with Zoo Rooms”
Review of Zoo Rooms

and 1 more site!
Zoo Rooms
Ranked #62 of 308 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We, two my friends and I, really enjoyed staying in Zoo Rooms. First of all, because of Steve, the owner. He's very friendly and kind, speaks Russian and always ready to advise what places to visit, how to get there and there and not to get lost in the city. Secondly, the placement is really good, on Mallorca street. At third, the rooms are clean and comfortable. We also enjoyed spending time on hammocks (there are 3 of them). If I ever decide to come again to Barcelona, I will stay in Zoo Rooms

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank dissagulova

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I lived and worked in New York for 8 years as an Interior Designer and 1 of my favourite areas was West Village. When I arrived at Carrer Mallorca 209 and stepped through the beautiful antique Spanish wooden entrance doors I knew I had made the right decision to stay here. The layout was simple and elegant but yet still eclectic. From the custom jelly fish lights to the beautiful terracotta patio you felt that you had been transport to a hidden gem. But I truly feel that the look and atmosphere of any establishment comes from the top down and this is why Steve and Johnathan deserve all the praise. From there relaxed, friendly laid back attitude to the amazing recommendations for food and drink within the area you simply cannot go wrong. I highly recommend zoo rooms to anybody even thinking of staying in the Barcelona no matter what your budget happens to be.

Room Tip: A room leading out to the patio.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Cormac J
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We picked this hostel during a quick search the evening before getting to Barcelona and were ever so pleased with our choice. Easy to get to from the airport, we took the airport bus there and the train back to the airport when we left. Comfortable and clean rooms, a kitchen where we could make our own breakfast and a fantastic roof terrace with hammocks, tables and sofas where we could hang out after a full day of sightseeing. If Barcelona wasn't so full of places to visit, I would have love to spend more time just hanging out at the hostel! The owner, Steve, is very friendly and helpful and gave us lots of good suggestions for places to eat and drink. The hostel is in walking distance from Las Ramblas, but the location also gives you the feeling of being in a local neighbourhood. Steve also told us where to rent the cheapest bikes in town and we had them for three days as it was such an excellent way to cover larger distances in a short time. We definitely want to go back to Barcelona and would stay in ZooRooms again.

Room Tip: Rooms leading on the roof terrace will probably be quieter than ours that had windows onto the main...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brita71
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We had a fantastic time at Zoo Rooms, with a very cozy room towards the patio on which we had wine and tapas - absolutely marvelous. Cheers to Steve and Johnathan for some great ideas where to go for, yes, more tapas and wine (we just couldn't get enough, really) and places to go which are not in everybody's guidebook. Highly recommendable.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We have recently spent 4 nights at Zoo Rooms (with young family and grandmother) and we all absolutely loved it! The guest house is stylish, while also feeling like home. The terrace is so spacious and such a pleasure to spend time in. I have never stayed anywhere so clean - and that's a big plus for me.

The staff were very helpful and accommodating - we changed our plans at the last minute and asked to stay an extra night which was no problem! They also stored our luggage and arranged taxis for us and were full of tips for eateries and tours.

We got to experience both the terrace and street side rooms due to our change of plans and all were fantastic. Our sleep wasn't disturbed by any noise (maybe due to all the wonderful tapas and mojitos!!)

We loved the location! Zoorooms is in a fantastic neighbourhood which felt very safe and had a lovely choice of restaurants and shops nearby.

Thank you so much for a wonderful stay, we can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank bybali
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Location is nice, staff are very friendly and helpfull. The rooms are clean and they are modern. The rooms on the street side are noisy, though. The roof terrace is nice. It is actually a very quiet place with no staff around in day-time (which is also not necessary).

Room Tip: Pick a room with a terrace, so you can sleep well. It's worth the extra money
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2013

First my only complaint - booked two terrace rooms back in January for our visit in May. Steve the owner changed our booking at the last minute without telling me because he wanted to give a terrace room to someone else.. My son therefore had to take a room on the noisier street side which I didn't want. This is unacceptable and unprofessional so I have marked it down for that reason. Having said that, Zoo Rooms are two small first floor flats converted and modernised into I apartment with 7 letting rooms, some at the back facing a large terrace and the others facing the street. There is also a sitting area with free Wi-Fi leading on to a kitchen which also opens on to the terrace. The rooms are quite small with small ensuite showers decorated in a simple, modern, shabby chic style. So here are the pros and cons@-

Pros - Good location - only two blocks from Passeig de Gracia station so easy and cheap to get to and from airport and walkable to all the sights; great having kitchen to store drinks, make breakfast etc, chat to other guests. Rooms are well designed and showers are good. Receptionist, Jonathan, very helpful on arrival with local info/map and it was good to have a key for coming and going. Cost of rooms also reasonable.

Cons - if you are a light sleeper, the flooring is all laminate and you hear everyone walking past and the doors bang loudly when being closed. However, this would not put me off staying again and apart from the problem with our booking, I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Terrace rooms probably quieter than street rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank henwomanGlenrothes
ZOOROOMS_Barcelona, Manager at Zoo Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

I just wanted to respond to this review to say that we didn´t just give away a room to someone else.

These guests booked early in the year through a website that we receive very few bookings through and unfortunately there was only 1 terrace room available at the time as the others were already booked. At the time they put down the number of guests as 2 so we were unclear that two rooms were actually necessary.

I contacted the guests before their visit and it was established the week before the arrival date that they were in fact 3 people, not just 2 persons travelling. I explained the different rooms we had and we offered them various options and in the end gave their 27-year old son the largest room we have, the Suite room.

At no time did they mention to me the fact that they were unhappy with this arrangement and I was unaware that there was any problem, we shared various conversations during their stay and the only negative comment they had to share was about a cracked coffee mug! They seemed very at home at ZOOROOMS and we would love to welcome them back.

Although we now use a reputable channel manager to avoid double bookings, we recommend booking directly through our website in the future.

I apologize for any hardship caused,

kind regards,