“so relaxing after a few nights in Barcelona”

Gran Hotel La Florida
Ranked #182 of 521 Hotels in Barcelona
London
“so relaxing after a few nights in Barcelona”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2010

We spent 3 nights on La Ramblas and then retreated up to Gran Florida for 2 nights of chilling.

Amazing service; we were checked in and given 2 glasses of bubbles and a tour of the pool and spa area, then shown to our room. We booked a Mountain view terrace - there is no view (as per prev. reviews it's trees, a powerline and the entrance) but the room was massive and luxurious, a monster sized bed (after our 2 singles on wheels in the city very welcome!) the shower was huge and the bathroom gorgeous. While we didn't have the views of the sea-side terraces (which we could enjoy from the pool anyway) we did get the sun - from breakfast to dinner. Once the pool area lost the sun we'd go back to the room and sit on our loungers until 8.30. No noise at all from the car park or road.

It was worth getting the terrace as the restaurant (which is amazing) is basically silver service and night 2 we just wanted to relax (not having wine refilled 1 sip at a time) so ordered room service. Then we decided to get room service breakfast which was a lot nicer than the buffet.

I would definitely recommend this as the hotel to finish your barcelona stay - you're too far away to really access the city easily (20€), but it's great to do the touristy thing then get out of the craziness and seriously relax somewhere special.

Never heard a peep from the adventure park next door (although surprised it was there, literally next to the hotel on the hill). If we had been motivated to leave the poolside we may have checked it out. I wouldn't let it put you off staying (we were there Mon/Tues)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2010

My first hint that I should have canceled my reservation came when I kept emailing the hotel to request information on Barcelona and arrange limo transport to/from the airport and they rarely responded. Even a phone call to the hotel didn't do the trick. Finally, my travel agency got the information i needed.

This was the first international trip where i arrived in the morning and I didn't have a room ready for me upon check-in. I arrived at the hotel around 1115am and I didn't get to my room until almost 2:30pm. We were told to lounge by the pool for about an hour which turned into several. No complimentary drinks or food once we left reception either.

The view of Barcelona from the pool is breathtaking, but the moment is continually interrupted by the screams from people enjoying the thrill rides at the amusement park next door. This is so absurd you have to laugh as people seem to be screaming right over your head.

We booked a Terrace Room with a mountain view. From our room there was no mountain view....our Terrace Room overlooked the hotel entrance. Moving was pointless because we were told the hotel was full. We also discovered the door to the adjoining room was unlocked and we could walk into the room next door. Someone from the hotel had to lock the doors.

While there was no mountain view from the terrace room we could see bushes, the hotel entrance and the street (see pictures). There was a small architecturally designed waterfall which did a nice job of drowning out the sound of cars and the street,

After we were shown to our room, our hostess told us we needed to book the shuttle if we planned to use it to go into the city. The shuttle only runs 4 or 5 times a day, and we found it impossible to book seats. Expect a 20 euro cab ride each way to/from the city centre.

Our first morning, several staff members knocked on our door..we discovered our second night that there are do not disturb signs available -- we just didn't have one in our room and we didn't realize we had to ask.

We were suppose to stay 5 nights, but the logistics to get to the city, the screams from the amusement park, and the parking lot view were just too much. We checked out after two nights.

After checkout, upon reviewing my amex statement, i noticed the hotel charged me for our last day spa use even though we had a 80 euro credit and the spa should have been free. We were also charged for round trip limo even though we only used the limo to get to the hotel from the airport.

For a five-star, boutique hotel this place was very disappointing.

The hotel itself is very charming, but it's extremely isolated and the amusement park destroys the ambiance during the day.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2010

My boyfriend (now fiancee) and I stayed in this hotel in May. Barcelona is mine and my fiancee's favorite city (in fact he proposed right by the hotel - at this cathedral Sagrat Cor).
The service was excellent- it couldn't have been better. The outdoor heated pool and terrace were amazing. The food on the outdoor terrace was delicious.
I recommend staying here on a second trip to Barcelona - because it is quite far from the city centre and a 20 euro cab ride- or you have to plan your entire day around their shuttle service- which only runs till 7pm.
On our trip, we stayed in the hotel all day- laid out on the terrace and ordered food and in the evening we went to the City to eat dinner and hang out.
Suggestions: Cabs can get very expensive. Book the free shuttle to the City but make sure you book in advance because spots run out. The shuttle only runs from 10am to 7pm. You can also take a cab to the metro which is 10 euro. Get the 10 trips tickets for the metro- it ends up working out to 7 euros for all 10 trips. If you take a cab from the city back to the hotel-make sure you ask the cab driver if he knows where the hotel is (we had an issue with this- the hotel is in the town of Tibidabo). The cab from the city to the hotel is approx. 20 euro - 25 euro. There is also the option of taking the bus- T2- which is next to the hotel and runs on weekends to placa catalunya (city centre). The T2 bus stops running from the City at around 9pm and also 9pm from the hotel ( when the amusement park closes). I recommend seeing Sagrat Cor (the cathedral next to the hotel) - not bc I was proposed to there :-) - but because it is the highest point and the view from the top is absolutely amazing. I love this hotel and will return next year sometime. I couldnt have stayed at a better place. There is also an amusement park next door (its the one in the movie - Vicki Christina Barcelona). We didn't go to the amusement park but regret not riding the ferris wheel. Also there is free wi-fi in the hotel. So you can also use your wireless phone.

1 Thank westvillagechic
Staffordshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2010

My husband and I stayed here on a short break to Barcelona. We have to agree by saying the views from the hotel are fabulous. Also, our room was very nice - two windows with great views. Hotel is generally very impressive, although a little jaded in parts - e.g. the spa which needs a good coat of paint (mould around the upper window frames - wooden floors which were badly scratched).
Yes, the shuttle bus only holds six and is often booked. We found our way round on public transport - first - a bus outside the hotel down to the next village - then take the funicular railway down to the metro - then the metro into the centre (got that!). We quite enjoyed this, but we are mobile and enjoy this sort of thing. However,, the last funicular is at 9.00 pm, so no late nights. The last hotel mini bus also returns at 8.45 pm. This means you must get a taxi, which is approx. 20 euros one way. We did this on the last night, but it would have been costly every night.
We didn't have breakfast - we bought our own croissants and fruit from a supermarket in Barcelona centre - no shops or cafes near the hotel - apart from the theme park cafe which wasn't very nice. Breakfast in your room is 32 euros each - coffee is 7 euros per cup. On the last day we stayed around the pool, but felt frustrated because of the cost of the food. It was 21 euros each for a burger - similar prices for sandwiches (this is how we came to walk up to the theme park cafe which was very poor and was only half open). The whole food problem meant that we had to eat our own 'imported' breakfast., get down to the town centre for lunch and then stay there all day - have our evening meal and then do the return - metro, funicular, bus journey. For anyone less mobile I think this would be a problem and would be very tiring. It also means you can't go back midday to change. We knew the hotel was out of town, but it's not 15 minutes away as they state - it was closer to 30 minutes on the mini bus and the public transport route is complicated - which no-one tells you. Our main frustration was due to the fact that we weren't prepared to pay the prices they charge for food. Don't get me wrong, we have been lucky enough to stay in some fabulous hotels in our time - and we're not mean - but we really felt as if they saw us literally as a 'captive' audience. I can't understand why they don't make the prices more reasonable and then people would stay around the hotel and the pool and there would be more atmosphere.
All in all - the hotel is very impressive in parts - the views are fantastic - but we won't be back.

2 Thank JRRStaffordshire
US
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2010

We stayed at this hotel due to its being part of Leading Hotels and descriptions from Trip Advisor.
All reviews about the view are absolutely correct. The hotel's location overlooking Barcelona is spectacular and a wonderful place to have a drink or dinner overlooking the city.
But, the location is also a very costly problem. The hotel advertises that is has a free shuttle. However, the shuttle was not available at reasonable times, because it is a van and holds only 4-5 people. It was fully booked at all day times and does not run in the mid-afternoon at all. So, we ended up with a 20 - 30 Euro cab ride each way to and from anything we wanted to do in the city. It's about a 30 minute trip.
The room we had was large and had a wonderful view of the sea. However, the television did not work, and it took more than 1 hour to fix it. The maid did not leave soap for the shower and there were no face cloths.
The worst part was when I got in the shower, the entire shower apparatus came crashing out of the wall and fell on the floor! The room obviously had not been maintained.
Because of the location of the hotel, I had emailed them three days before our arrival asking if they had a car and driver that could pick us up at the cruise terminal. I asked the price and how we would find the driver - with a sign? at a certain location?
I never received an email back. No information or quote on the price. I assumed they did not provide the service. So I never confirmed a car and driver with them. When we arrived at the cruise terminal in Barcelona, we disembarked, walked out and got in a cab. There was noone there with a sign with our name or a car and driver for us.
When we arrived at the hotel, we mentioned this and the desk clerk said, "But I sent a driver - I emailed you." I said we had never heard from them and never confirmed the pickup as we did not know the cost." He said, " I took it on myself to book the car for you. You must pay for it." We said we would not pay as we had not confirmed the pickup and had not gotten a ride. We took a 35 Euro cab instead. He absolutely refused to remove the 90 euro charge from our bill. We will dispute this with our credit card company.
In addition, we had booked a package that included buffet breakfast. Because we had to leave before the restaurant opened, the desk clerk said he would have a continental breakfast sent up to our room instead. We thought this a nice gesture. When the breakfast arrived - coffee, juice, pastries - the room service person handed us a bill for 56 Euros. We said breakfast was included - she said, "not in your room." We didn't eat a bite but took the bill down to the front desk. It took 20 minutes to get this straightened out.
We had ordered a cab for our departure to the airport. Because it took more than 20 minutes to get the bill straightened out (and yes it still included the car and driver cost), the cab starting fee had climbed to 10 Euros before we even left.
The hotel was quite empty. I understand why.
There are other great hotels in Barcelona. I recommend staying in one of them. I certainly will next time.

2 Thank robbinbobbin
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2010

A wonderful splurge after our cruise. Restaurant was priced too high. Shuttle to downtown. Sacre Cur and Tibidabo park just a walk away. And the view from the room was wonderful!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
north london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2010

an extended stay taking in arsenal f c champions league game
so good the barca galacticos stayed there!
small but classically appointed with mountain top views down on the city from the outside infinity pool while enjoying a cerveza or cava
magnificent rooms with top quality tv/audio setup big comfy beds and service fit for a king(and thierry henry)
bit of a trek to town though but worth it
not cheap but really good value.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends