“Great place on the top of Barcelona!”

Gran Hotel La Florida
Ranked #203 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Puteaux, France
“Great place on the top of Barcelona!”
Reviewed July 24, 2009

An amazing view of Barcelona from the hotel room or restaurants. The shuttle (free) is very convient to go in center of Barcelona. Food is quite good but overpriced...you could discover very nice restaurants in Barcelona for cheaper price and much quality.
Service was quite friendly and nice with young waiters and waitresses. We recommend to take the shuttle for your day discovery and a taxi to come back late at night!!!.
Could be noisy due to poximity of Tibidabo amuzing parc.
We will come back to this place in the future.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed July 2, 2009

Before we arrived the service was great. I had booked the restaurant for dinner sat/sun, i had mentioned that it was a special occasion, i had seen the website and upon arrival all seemed fine. The hotel looked amazing, the view from our room was amazing, the mojito was delicious. Unfortunately the following day teh cracks appeared. It started with a droning noise which turned out to be from the fun park next door. That was followed by a wedding that caused us to be moved, then the waitress at the bar gave my wife a glass dripping with rose...that literally dripped all over my wifes white trousers. On complaining all the staff smiled politely until one of them decided salt and water would solve the problem. Next minute she was dousing my stunned wife with salt! Dinner was uneventful and the food was good albeit vastly overpriced. The following day all the sun beds were taken with the previous nights wedding guests. That evening we tried the bbq as you are unable to eat from the bar menu...again vastly overpriced. That was followed by more inattentiveness from the staff. The following day the bill was wrong. When told of all our problems, our complaints and disappointment the girl at the desk smiled politely, shrugged her shoulders and left us standing there. I will not revisit unless something dramatic happens to improve the service of this over priced, over valued average hotel. The view was great though!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LondonPetermac
Beaconsfield
Reviewed June 28, 2009

Billed as an Urban Spa, we were a bit disappointed in this hotel although it is in a spectacular setting with amazing views from the terraced area at the back of the building. We didn’t realise it is right next door to a theme park which is screened by a fence but you can still hear screaming kids on the rollercoaster rides. The amusement park is also being extended and there were bulldozers tearing up the ground a few feet
from where we were sitting which wasn’t very relaxing. Sadly there were also roadworks on the other side of the hotel at the front, and our room overlooked the entrance so we were woken by diggers and workmen at 8.00am each morning - not very relaxing. But spotlessly clean, huge, comfy beds and perfectly serviceable rooms though without any UK TV - the hotel seems a bit dated in parts: lots of black slate everywhere and dim lighting. Overall the service was patchy and although the shuttle bus was excellent and saved us the huge cost of a taxi into Barcelona each day, you have to book quickly as there are only six seats on each trip and it gets very busy. The hotel is small and there is little outside space for sitting in the evening - it gets quite chilly at night so remember to take something warm to wear! It is also very pricey - we paid 28 euros for a continental breakfast and 15 euros for a gin and tonic which we felt was eye wateringly expensive - and we are used to the prices of hotels like the Anassa in Cyprus, which is truly a 5 star spa hotel. Still, we enjoyed Barcelona and if you can get a discounted price from somewhere like lastminute.com and are prepared for the noise factor, it is still worth a visit. Eat out, use the free shuttle bus and take your own Bombay Sapphire and tonic!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Tyne & Wear
Reviewed June 22, 2009

This was a surprise valentines trip organised by my husband, on route from the airport I could see this fabulous building at the top of Mount Tibidabo and mentioned how wonderful it would be to stay there and I was thrilled to find that we were going to!

With amazing view across the city from the decked area with comfy seating areas nestled here and there, the sun came out and it felt like a summers day…perfect.

Our room looked out onto the same view, it had a large bathroom, bedroom with french doors onto the balcony and a seating area. We were lucky enough to enjoy 2 nights here and had a fabulous breakfast served in our room on our last morning.

We enjoyed a lovely meal on the first evening, everything was first class and they were very accommodating to any requests regarding changes to the set menu.

Yes it was expensive, but 5 star hotels tend to be and given it was valentines weekend no doubt the prices were hiked up even more! But it was an experience I will not forget and of course Barcelona itself was amazing, what a way to experience it for the first time!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed June 20, 2009

From our driver who picked us up at the airport to our room and the awesome views and rosewater greeting, every moment of our stay was perfection. The hotel arranged a private car for a tour of Barcelona and we were fortunate enough to have Senor Bai, the owner of the service and a wonderful gentleman give us the "insider's" view of the city.
Thanks to the concierge we saw a beautiful city and enjoyed a wonderful stay with terrific service. We will be back....This review is much delayed as I was searching for La Florida for future reservations and came across TripAdvisor and had the opportunity to share our experience. You will never find this experience in the downtown hotels of Barcelona or anywhere in the U.S. You get what you pay for at this hotel.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed June 17, 2009

We travelled to Barcelona to meet up with some friends for a birthday celebration and they chose this hotel. On arrival we were greeted by the staff who gave us a complimentary drink and showed us around the hotel. The terrace has the most amazing views over the city as did our room which was perfectly acceptable for a 4 star, but not really 5 star. The bath rooms were spacious, but the shower temperature was a nightmare constantly changing between freezing and tepid at best.
The award for the worst room service must go to this hotel. We ordered breakfast the first morning and after a hour we phoned to find out where it was and the guy who answered said they forgot to ask for the room number so they didn't make it. Ok, mistakes happen, he did arrive 15 mins later with a bottle of complimentary cava. The next morning we ordered again, the waiter arrived with the breakfast but without any cutlery , milk or butter! The breakfast was €56 each. The toast was cold and dry, the bacon and eggs were cold. The following morning (our last) pretty much the same thing happened again, and I met one of our friends on the stairs because we were both trying to catch the waiter as we both had been served without any tea cups, milk, butter etc!
Having said that, sunday brunch food was good, but the drinks were just monstrously expensive. €14 for a Bloody Mary, same for a glass of wine.
I think they charge so much for drinks because the hotel is quite isolated and they haven't got to compete with any other bars.
One other thing, there is a theme park close to the hotel - and you can hear people shouting and screaming quite clearly from the rooms and the terrace throughout the day.
Gran Hotel La Florida - good, but not good enough.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 24, 2009

**I do apologize that this review has just been posted. I'm a world traveler and I've just started to use Tripadvisor for advice when choosing hotels or restaurants. So because so many reviews has helped me...I figured I'd give back! Okay, now on to the review...

This hotel was perfectly situated in the clouds of Barcelona. I arrived a few hours early and my room was not quite ready, so the staff (who were very pleasant if I may add) held my luggage and provided me with a complimentary drink while I waited for my room. They gave me a tour of the facility and provided me with information about the hotel as well as the city. I had lunch out on the terrace, and by the time I finished, my room was all set. When I arrived to my room, I was baffled by the breath taking views from the balcony.
The room was very clean, the bed was extremely comfortable and the shower and the bath was soothing. The room was so relaxing, that I did not even leave my room the first night...(please be aware that I was very eager to see the city, but the bed wouldn't allow me too)The room service was decent, although expensive. Breakfast for 1(small bowl of fruit, green tea, omelette, pineapple juice, oatmeal, and toast) $50 bucks...no exaggeration!! I also ordered dinner from room service and again it was decent, it was also very late coming up to my room. I ordered the ravioli and ended up having to eat it with no sauce because they brought up sauce with meat, and I specifically asked for a vegetarian sauce. I'm not the type to complain though...I just think it was a communication barrier, but overall, the room service agents were very nice as well as the housekeepers!
I didn’t get a chance to take advantage of the pool and spa. Because I was only in Barcelona for a couple days, but I'm sure it was relaxing. I also didn’t utilize the free shuttle, service into the city, because they had specific times when they left and returned to the hotel, so I opted to use the taxi services, so I could go as I pleased (its about 20-25 Euro one way).
Some people complained about the drive to and from the city, and about how far the hotel was from everything. I beg to differ...the drive wasn’t bad, it would take me 15-20 minutes to get to the city center, and the taxi ride was pleasant. Taxi drivers were friendly and very conversational. I speak only a little Spanish, but I can understand the language very well, so we had some interesting conversations.
Overall, if you’re looking to be in the midst of the hustle and bustle, don’t stay at this hotel. But if you’re trying to relax in a hotel thats situated on top of a hill that boasts beautiful views of the city of Barcelona and want to be treated like a king or queen, I recommend you stay here.

Some valuable information: I noticed that I was the only single at this hotel. One might feel out of place if you’re there alone, but again, if you’re like me, and you just want to enjoy life and be treated like royalty, checking in alone will not make you feel out of place. I was in Barcelona to visit a good friend for his birthday, but the next time I go, I will be accompanied by my girlfriend, because it is an experience that you should share with someone.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo