“Location...”

H10 Montcada Boutique Hotel
Ranked #64 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed January 28, 2014

After trawling most Hotels in Barcelona we decided to choose H10 Montcada, what a result, perfect central location. We had a main road 1st floor room and looking though other reviews, although you can hear the Metro and traffic outside it is minor and we sleep thorugh the night (even with the window open). Rooftop had fab views of the city and also a hot tub. Breakfast was spot on and had a wide choice available. Front desk were very helpful and dealt with requests with a smile. Room was on the small side but again no problem, bathroom was huge and well stocked. Our maid kept giving us water so a bonus there. We stay in 4/5* Hotels around the world and would have no issues recomending this to all family & friends. Free Wi-Fi was a bonus and super fast.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
HMBARCELONA, Director Comercial at H10 Montcada Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear Gooner_,

First of all I would like to thank you for your time used in writing your opinion in tripadvisor.

We are very pleased to check that you had a pleasant stay in our Hotel. I take the opportunity to let you know that we are going to refurbish our Hotel during this winter.

It will be a pleasure to host you in your next visit to Barcelona.

There are newer reviews for H10 Montcada Boutique Hotel

Reviewed January 25, 2014

From the moment of check in, with the complementary glass, of champers to the point of check out, where the kind receptionist let us keep the room on for an extra hour even though they were full....everything was perfect. The roof terrace with jacuzzi is a big hit with all visitors and is well worth the exrta to book it to make sure you can use it when you really want it,. The location is perfect with a metro stop on the doorstep and plaza Catalunya a stroll away. All the staff were very friendly and helpfull and the room had the most comfortable bed. I cannot praise this hotel enough.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank yag0d0g
HMBARCELONA, Director Comercial at H10 Montcada Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Dear yag0d0g,

On behalf of all the staff, I would like to thank you for your time used in sharing your opinion.

It is always a pleasure that you had a pleasant stay in our Hotel, and hope to be your choice inyour next visit to Barcelona.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

This fantastic Hotel is very well placed in the gothic part of Barcelona. On top of the roof is not only an outstanding pool but a fantastic view. Small rooms, but great value for price. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Volker N
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed at the H10 Montcada from the 24th to 30th of December 2013. I chose this hotel based on other reviews about it's location. I wanted to be close to the El Born area mainly, and everything else close by would be a bonus. Boy did we get it all at the H10 Montcada. It is PRIME location in Barcelona. El Born is literally a few steps away with great restaurants less than 2 minutes walk away and offering a really fantastic atmosphere.. Barceloneta beach is only a 15 minute walk away.. La Ramblas is about 7 minutes walk away.. great shops are 5 minutes away.. we got the Aerobus from the airport to Placa de Catalunya (cost 10 Euros return each) and we walked to the hotel from there which took 10 minutes.. So in terms of location, this hotel cannot be beaten.

The reception area, bar etc. is very nice and modern looking, and we were given a glass of cava each on arrival. We were in room 504 which is on the corner of Via Laietana and another tiny walkway with views of the square, but facing another building (which I think was an office block).. The room itself wasn't massive, but perfectly adequate and spotlessly clean. The bathroom was nice and well equipped - they provide toothbrushes, slippers, gowns, soaps, plenty of shampoo, shoe shine etc etc. We had a free safe in the room which I liked. We also had a 32" TV which had no English channels (although we did get Toy Story in English on Xmas day!). The overall décor was ok - a bit tired, but the entire hotel is in the process of being completely refurbished. The WiFi in the hotel room was superb.. no dropouts, and decently quick with a strong signal throughout our stay - and it's free! We also had an iPod dock (but no iPod) and a Nespresso coffee machine in our room.

We originally hadn't included breakfast in our booking, but after arriving we thought we should. So for 120 Euros for 6 days, we got breakfast included.. We were glad we did.. We really enjoyed the breakfasts very much.. all kinds of food to choose from English breakfast to cereal, fruits, cheeses and sweets.. Did not think much of the coffee though! The dining room is lovely, modern and spotless, and the breakfast ladies were always very nice and courteous.

The top floor of the hotel (the sun deck) was closed - understandably as it was too cold and windy to enjoy it in December.. I still went up there every day though to take photos of the beautiful sunsets over the city - truly breathtaking views. There's a little gym up there too.

So overall, the hotel is pretty good. I would give the hotel itself a 3 out of 5, but because of the location, I give it a 4 out of 5.. There were a few negatives (please don't be put off by these negatives though - they are just my opinions).. the negatives were:

- No porter to carry your bags up to your room.. I would expect that from a hotel of this standard
- Noise. There are 2 extremely noisy aspects to this hotel. First, the street noise from Via Laietana is very loud - at night, you can hear everything from the street below. Second, every 5 minutes or so, our room shuddered like an earthquake - the metro line runs directly under the hotel, and the Jaume metro station is directly over the road. For the first 4 nights, I barely slept, then I wore ear-plugs and managed a bit more shut-eye. This of course is not the hotel's fault!
- Uncomfortable bed. The bed is small. Very small. And is very hard too. I am 6'1", and my feet were hanging over the bottom of the bed. The pillows also are very hard.. So sleep quality for us was quite poor.
- Lack of hangers in the wardrobe - we had 8 hangers between us! With 40kg of baggage, that was not good!
- Heat - for some reason, wherever we went in the hotel, we were uncomfortably hot.. I think they cranked the heat up to full whack! We had an aircon unit / fan in our room, but it didn't work - a trickle of air came out at full power, and the temperature did not adjust up or down.. so we had no other option only to have our window open for cooling.
- No replenishing of drinking water after day 1! Not a major issue though - there is a little shop less than a minute from the hotel (turn left and go towards El Born).. we bought an 8 litre bottle of water for less than 2 Euros that lasted our entire stay.

The pros for this hotel outweigh the cons by far. The location and the overall standard of the hotel far outweigh my negatives above. Would I stay again? Yes, definitely. It is a nice hotel to come back to at the end of a long day walking the streets of Barcelona.. A few little improvements would make this hotel a 5 out of 5 for me.. Go enjoy!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank deezy-weezy
HMBARCELONA, Director Comercial at H10 Montcada Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear deezy-wee,

Thank you very much for your review.

We are very glad to see that our Hotel met most of your expectations.

During this winter our rooms are going to be refurbished. I hope that in your next visit you will enjoy your stay a little bit more!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

Stayed here for 3 days in September with my partner - was the best city break holidays we have ever had! The hotel was lovely with a free glass of cava on arrival, room was spacious with great air con. Roof top bar was out of this world - with a view over the gothic quarter to the marina, I can see why it was called the sunset bar - beautiful sunsets. The hotel is an ideal location, close to the beaches, las ramblas, the gothic quarter and loads of lovely restraunts and bars - I would recommend the aerobus - it's €6 rather than €30 for the taxi and only stops ten minutes from the hotel with a short trip through las ramblas. I have booked to come back to this hotel in June 2014 for another 3 nights and cannot wait!

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Fiona_tb

Dear Fiona T,

First of all I would like to thank you for your time used in sharing your opinion of your last stay in the H10 Montcada Boutique Hotel.

It is always a pleasure to check thet your experience in our Hotel met your expectations.

We will be very glad to host you in the future. Please take in considaration that our Hotel will be new for next Spring.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

We stayed here three nights before embarking on a cruise. The staff was extremely helpful suggesting to buy a 10 trip metro ticket and sharing it and how to book reservations for restaurants and attractions.

The lobby is attractive and large enough to serve as a lounge. The bartender let us practice our Spanish.

The breakfast is fantastic. Lots of fruits, breads, cereals, yogurt, meats and cheeses. The hot items were eggs and meats and a few things I don't think of as breakfast food. There was also a variety of sweets and hot drinks.

The room was small but adequate. I loved leaning out my window to check the weather, see what was going on in the square and look down into the Borne area. The bathroom was very nice.

The view from the roof is spectacular. Some people enjoyed the hot tub. Others of us were disappointed that the roof bar was closed. I guess we were all from cool parts of the world.

I would stay here again for location and staff helpfulness.

Room Tip: We had a room on the Borne side. It was probably quieter than on the front.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights in November of 2013. The first night we were in a room with no heat, the water from the faucets in the tub and sink was brown and disgusting and only one outlet worked in the room. When we asked to change, we were told that the hote was full and given an extra blanket. The hotel did not seem interested or concerned. The second night after significant complains we were moved to a room overlooking the street. The noise was so loud from the street that we got NO sleep. The hotel does not have bellmen or porters, so you are on your own to get your bags to your room whether you are 30 or 90 years old. The hot breakfast offered at the hotel was not hot and very poorly served. I do not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: No pool and no spa
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank believerdeb
HMBARCELONA, Director Comercial at H10 Montcada Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Dear believerdeb,

First of all I would like to thank you for your time used in sharing your opinion of our Hotel.

I deeply regret what happened during your stay. I can assure you that we have corrected all the reported issues.

I would like to mention that our Hotel is going to be totally refurbished this winter. So I hope to host you in the future.

On behalf of all the staff, I wish you a Happy 2014.