“3 star hotel in beautiful Gothic district”

H10 Montcada Boutique Hotel
Ranked #64 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stayed here for one night to meet some friends who were already staying at the hotel. I didn't receive the complimentary drink of Cava on arrival, would have been a nice treat but nevermind. The room I had was quite small but it was probably standard for the town centre. A couple of small gripes were that the lock on the door didn't work and the hinges on one side of the toilet seat were broken. The thing that would have made a longer stay unbearable was that the air conditioning was blowing hot air - I asked reception to have someone come check it, the housekeeper promptly arrived but didn't know what was wrong - she then asked me to call reception if it was still the same in 20mins. 20mins later I called to say there was no change, I was told someone would come back to my room - they didn't so I just opened the window until I went to bed. When I told reception about it the next morning she said that it wasn't broken it just needed switching to summer mode by a technician, so I have no idea why they sent the housekeeper and then ignored my second call. Could have been better on the customer service front which is why I gave it 3 stars. Breakfast was lovely and the location was great to explore Barcelona, just not sure I would pay the price again

• Stayed: March 2013

Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

I've just returned from a three night break, staying at the H10 Montcada with my elderly mother. We couldn't really have asked for better.

We booked a twin room (through Easyjet holidays), and it was exactly what we needed. It wasn't huge but there was more than enough room for us, the beds were comfortable, with nice soft pillows, and the bathroom was a decent size with an excellent shower. The decor was slightly scuffed in places, but that wasn't severe - just a bit of normal wear and tear.

I'd asked for a room at the back or side on a high floor to refuce the chance of being disturbed by street noise, and that's exactly what we got - with the bonus of a glimpse of the glistening sea from the window. There was some street noise when the window was open, although we still managed to sleep like that, but nothing when the window was closed. We were on the 7th floor, so just a short hop up to the lovely roof terrace.

Breakfast was of a very good standard, with hot options (bacon, fried eggs, scrambled eggs, Spanish omelette, mini sausages, beans and mushrooms), pastries, cooked meats and cheeses, cereals, breads, fruit and yogurts. Was dubious about whether the coffee would be ok, as it was from a machine, but it really was good.

The welcome we received was very warm - we were given a complimentary glass of cava on arrival, which really got the trip off to a great start. Staff were polite, friendly and helpful, and gave us some tips about staying safe in the city, which were appreciated.

The location really is spot on, as it's right between Barri Gotic and La Ribera, so in the middle of the old town. The waterfront is a short walk away, it's opposite a metro station, and the stop for the tourist bus is two blocks down. We were too tired in the evenings to venture very far, but that wasn't a problem as there are lots of restaurants and tapas bars very near by.

It's really nice to know that next time I go to Barcelona I don't need to spend time researching hotels; I will just book here again.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I was here for a conference and had to pay a ridiculous amount for this hotel (over EUR 500). But considering I could have been in some Guest House 40kms away, I was happy to stay here and also find that the hotel was very nice.

The rooms were incredibly small but they were clean, modern and well appointed. Internet is free. The Breakfast buffet is very good but cost an extra EUR10. The staff was incredibly helpful and provided us with dinner reservations at a local restaurant.

There's a very nice, outdoor bar at the top of the hotel that looks out over the whole city. There's also a hot tub up there. The gym is pretty useless but if you are a runner, the hotel is located a few blocks from the port area where there is a great running/walking path.

The hotel is a few blocks from the metro. And even though I was there for an incredibly busy conference, taxis were pretty easy to find after a few minutes of waiting and running back and forth across the street.

Overall the h10 chain seems to provide comfortable, reliable and modern hotels.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Michael C
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Partner and i stayed here on out first visit to Barcelona. We booked a standard double room with bed and breakfast for 4 nights. Our room was small but clean and modern, it was cleaned daily. The location is great, we walked everywhere from it. We booked a deal which enabled us to 'hire' the rooftop jacuzzi and the staff gave us dressing gowns, cornered off the area and we had cava and fruit, was really nice and great views. Breakfast was ok, not a great deal of choice and the coffee was a let down as it was a self service machine. Rooftop bar is nice, quite expensive though but you should at least try it. Lots of leaflets in lobby if you need inspiration for things to do but i can honestly say i have never walked so much and just stumbled on places, literally just crashed out at night and this was a great place to do so.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank sara b
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights at this hotel and were very impressed with the quality, cleanliness, location and friendliness of staff. The hotel staff were very helpful and the welcome glass of champagne was much appreciated. The hotel is ideally situated, close to the port and all amenities - the Metro was just across the road which enabled travel to all parts of the city. A short walk across the road took you to the Old part of the town with its Cathedral and a good selection of shops and Tapas Bars - but be careful, it's easy to get lost around all the little side roads!! La Ramblas was just a short walk away with access to Theatres, Museums and if you need to buy provisions there is a Carrefour Supermarket with a large selection of reasonably priced goods.
The Sagrada Familia Cathedral (definitely worth a visit) is just a 40 minute walk from the hotel and takes you past Barcelonas Arc de Triomph.
We were there from the 15th -18th February and there were lots of celebrations which included music groups, bands, adults and children in national dress and lots of fireworks. It was part of an Ancient Music Festival.
When booking ask for a room near the top of the hotel to avoid excess traffic noise.
Breakfast was very good with lots of choice from cereals, pastries to a full choice of cooked food - egg, bacon, scrambled egg, baked beans, toast etc.
Our only complaint was that there was no restaurant in the hotel to have a meal and no tea and coffee making facilities in the room.
The room was adequate for a short break with comfortable bed and ample wardrobe space and our room (802) overlooked the old Cathedral. Rooms cleaned every day.
Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room near the top of the hotel to avoid traffic noise.
2  Thank bazzer51
HMBARCELONA, Manager at H10 Montcada Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear bazzer51:

Thank you very much for your comments, certainly our staff give their best to our visitors.
one of the most charming things to do throught the Born and Gotic Quarter is to get lost and explore the way the city used to be years ago.
I'm sorry if you don't like the hotel does not have restaurant , our reception staff is able to recommend our guests any kind of cuisine closed to the hotel, due H10 Montcada is in the middle of the city center.
And let me give you a good new for your next visit, we offer in all our rooms Nespresso machine, and tea option.
If you have the chance visit Barcelona on september 24th at Festa Major de la Mercè, there is a big city party with lots of folcklore and traditional exibitions, fireworks... nice to live it.

Hope to see you soon again at H10 Montcada, best wishes.

Marc Riera, general manager.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Recently had a 2 night stay in this fab hotel. Staff very helpful & rooms were lovely. Most things are nearby & the further attractions can be reached by the Metro across the road or by Tour Bus with a bus stop 2 blocks away. Many Tapas bars etc down the little streets around the Hotel & pleasant little squares with outside tables to sit & watch the world go by. Would suggest walking round these rather than stick to the Ramblas as there are some quirky little gems that have something different. Apart from not having tea & coffee facilities I can't find anything bad about this hotel & will come back for sure, this time with a swim suit to use the jacuzzi!

Room Tip: Front of hotel is best but might be noisy if you want to leave windows open
1  Thank ShoeburynessTolly
HMBARCELONA, Manager at H10 Montcada Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear ShoeburynessTolly:

Thank you very much for your comments, I'm glad you've enjoyed our city. Actually closed to H10 Montcada there are lots of litle "gems" to discover this one of the most charming issues... more over for your next visit you'll have coffe and tea facilities as we offer from now on in all our rooms a Nespresso coffee machine!

Best regards.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

as with H10 hotels they are a very good standard. location is excellent right in centre between gothic area and born area. don't bother with taxis from airport (although only 35 euros) as metro station right across the road. while the room isn't the biggest it is adequate as for a city break there shouldn't be much time spent in the bedroom ! the breakfast was excellent, huge choice, everything you could want. overall a great hotel, great location, great value for money.

2  Thank FrankandChristine76