“Staffing & location let down otherwise good hotel!” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Four Points by Sheraton Barcelona Diagonal
Ranked #151 of 522 Hotels in Barcelona
Singapore, Singapore
“Staffing & location let down otherwise good hotel!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

Lets be honest, its quite far from the Metro/Underground station.
A good 10-15min walk.
On a nice day, its bearable. Won't want to do this in the rain.
Yes, there is a tram, but you add transfer time and you must be on a 2 or 3 Day Transport Pass if not the cost of travelling into the main areas and back is doubled (1 In, 1 Out, +2 Trams).
There is a decent sized mall with : Carrefour, Zara, H&M, etc...
As well as some food options (we did not try any). Note that the cinema is only in Spanish.
And Yes, there is the largest shopping center in Barcelona on the end of the tram line... (its only ok, unless you're dedicated shopper... we cleared it in 2hours with a preggers wife!).

Rooms were fine, we had a high floor so the views were good. Try to get a corner room on a high floor for the best views (but it will be next to the lift so there is a trade off here).

We could see the Gaudi Catherderal and several other landmarks.

Ammenities were good. Toilets and rooms were clean. There's ability to open a window for fresh air (and to dry out few pieces of washing).

Cleaning lady never gave me a new toothbrush or mouthwash... which was strange, and when I requested for it, it never appeared in my room...

Other issue I have is with the overall staffing. It was not very very busy, but the staff seemed quite full to capacity - Management: You need MORE staff!
Lobby was tiny! so not sure where they would be placed.
But it was a good 5-10min wait to get served or for anyone to pick up your call from the room!

So the pluses kinda get weighed down by the 2 main problems (location & staffing) for me.
Yes, its HALF the price of the LeMeridien which is super central. And yes it will pay for you 2 or 3 day pass to ride all public transport options... I guess it depends on your budget and what you're looking for.

Personally, I am not sure I will stay here again on my next trip...

Room Tip: Rooms were fine, we had a high floor so the views were good. Try to get a corner room on a high floo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank t4tortoise
Agustin M, Director General at Four Points by Sheraton Barcelona Diagonal, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear t4tortoise,
I would like to thank to you for sharing with us your experiences in your last visit to Barcelona at the Four Points by Sheraton Barcelona.
We do take good note of your points with the idea of improving our services. We do celebrate you had a great time in Barcelona.
If you plan that a second visit to Barcelona we do welcome to you and your family back at the Four Points by Sheraton barcelona.
With warm regards from Barcelona.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lima, Peru
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is a fairly new hotel, very well located in Avenida Diagonal.
Very easy to get around town being a few blocks away from Diagonal Metro station and with a Tram line running right in front of the hotel.
Several shopping centers and various stores within walking distance.
Nice and fairly spacious room (by European standards) with a comfortable bed.
Definitively recommend it!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here for one night. It was a very nice hotel, rooms were clean and tidy (a little small) and the bed(s) was comfortable (two twins pushed together). The hotel itself it nice and pretty modern looking. Its one of the nicer Four Points I've stayed at. Its location is great, theres a street car right outside that runs you straight down to Barceloneta and port Olympic. Staff was friendly and helpful. Cost about 30 to get to the hotel from the airport. Could see the Sagrada Familia out of our window. The free wifi worked great. Only draw back to the hotel was that it seemed that every time a door closed you could hear it in the room. All in all a great hotel.

When booking this hotel, on several booking sites we saw that they offered an airport shuttle, which was one of the main reasons we ended up booking here. However, that is not the case.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Agustin M, Director General at Four Points by Sheraton Barcelona Diagonal, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear 81pez,
Thanks for taking extra time and share your experiences at the Four Points Barcelona with this huge travellers comunity.
We take good note of your advice about the shuttle service and we do solve it due to we have only transfer services and a charge. We do check all the online travel agencies and we do fresh up with the correct information. Thanks to point it out.
We do celebrate that you enjoyed Barcelona.
If you plan to visit us in the future let us know news and we do welcome you and your family again.
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Four Points hotel and truly enjoyed our stay. The staff is super friendly and helpful. The rooms are very comfortable and well appointed. Free internet was great. It is near the metro and close to many restaurants, sightseeing and shopping. I highly recommend this hotel for the price, location and staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Newport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

Really nice and clean hotel. Staff was friendly. Breakfast was plain but satisfying. There's a shopping mall near by where you can buy pretty much everything. There are some restaurants too. The beach is not far and there's nice walking street to go there. Hopefully I'll go there again some day =)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

I booked this hotel with points for 5 nights. I have never stayed at a four points before but by the amount of points I had to burn, I understood that it's an economy hotel. The hotel did not disappoint. Our stay was very pleasent. The Glories metro train stop is 700m away and there is a number 7 bus stop close by. We bought the 10 metro tickets for around 10 euros and used public transportation. Unfortunately it rained all the 5 days we were there and it was a bit of pain to walk to train or bus stop when it was raining. But it does not rain in Barcelona every day.

A couple of things to note - 1. When I checked in the lady at the front desk gave me a room on the second floor. Once I got in to the room I saw that it has two single beds. So I called right away and asked that I booked a room with King bed. She said she would give me a king on the 11th floor and it was a nice room. 2. She also mentioned that as a SPG rewards gold member I can choose from breakfast, points and something else. I chose breakfast. So the next morning I and my wife went to the restuarant. The waiter said that our names are not on the list and he went and checked with the front desk and they said there is no breakfast as I was only a gold member and not platinum. I have not stayed at a SPG property in more than a year and don't know what benefits each level of rewards categories have. So I was furious and asked that front desk guys why did the lady gave me three options and asked me to choose. They said they were sorry but I was not happy. Since it's a low category property may be they don't invest in training these folks or may be some of them are part time.

Overall a nice stay with small glitches.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank coolbabu
Dear Coolbabu,
I would like to thank to you for give us feed back after your stay at the hotel.
We do celebrate that you had a great time in Barcelona.
We do regret that we were unable to explanied to you the right benefices for your level status.
However we do honor the benefices for each type and we can not extend benefices to members of lower status due to those benefices are to each level - Preferred / Gold and Platinum -
We are at your total disposal and we hope we have the oportunity to welcoming you back at the hotel in the future,
With warm regards
Wilton Manors, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

This newer very modern property is slightly away from the main tourist attractions but in Barcelona we found that to a distinct positive. I would rate this five stars but it is a very well designed, comfortable hotel that is more that worthy of it's four star rating. Free and speedy Wi-Fi as well free computers in the business center to print attraction tickets and boarding passes is a real plus
We loved the location with it's convenient public transit and inviting walking street full of well priced and delightful local restaurants and bars. You get a true Barcelona experience here.
Perhaps the biggest positive is the staff. All are fluent in English and ready with suggestions for transit, dinning, and attractions. This hotel presents a tremendous value for your Euro!
If there is a negative to point out, it's the noise the adjacent doors to the hallway make when closing and the lack of carpet in the rooms (which is big plus to us) does tend to amplify the sound

Room Tip: Our third floor room provided a beautiful of the tree tops and the streets below
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Agustin M, Director General at Four Points by Sheraton Barcelona Diagonal, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Florida Traveller 888,
Thanks for sharing with the travellers comunity your opinion about Four Points by Sheraton Barcelona.
Thanks for rating us with this high scores and commends like yours encourage us to continue in this way looking for our guest and being proactive.
Location is always a must however we feel like we show to you the real Barcelona Rambla del Poble nou.