“Excellent”

Ranked #147 of 521 Hotels in Barcelona
UK
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Stayed here for 5 days with young children. Nice clean room. Quiet 6th floor room. Good sound proof insualtion. Great breakfast, overall Good value for money during the winter season. No bad points at all. A great mini-break experience.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank cgbutton
Agustin M, Director General at Four Points by Sheraton Barcelona Diagonal, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Mr. CgButton,
I would like to thank you for giving your feed back.
We do celebrate that you had a great time in Barcelona in our hotel.
This encourage us to continue working in the some direction.
If you plan to return to Barcelona we do look after you and your kids in the some way.
Thanks again and look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Last September, my wife and I started a Mediterranean/Black Sea cruise in Barcelona. We chose this hotel because of its location relative to the El Prat Airport, the cruise port and main attractions such as Familia Sagrada. At the airport, I handed the taxi driver a detailed note with the route Señor Agustin Martinez, the hotel's manager (running a “tight ship”), had sent me. The driver followed it exactly. En route to the hotel, he warned us to beware of pick pockets and rip-off artists, an advice we heeded; hence, our visit was safe. Like many taxi drivers in Spain, ours did not speak English (or pretended not to). But he was friendly and pointed-out many sites. Señor Martinez had also alerted his staff of our arrival, well in advance; hence, we were greeted friendly and courteously in the very modern and new-looking lobby and our check-in proceeded smoothly. This we call "service". We obtained a room upgrade to a large corner room on the hotel's quiet side (not that it is noisy). We found the bright room's interior modern with a very comfortable king-size bed, a desk with two chairs and, importantly, a safe. The spacious bath room was well-stocked. As the hotel belongs to the Starwood Group, we even obtained face clothes. In most European hotels they are not provided. All guest rooms offer free high-speed Internet access, and one of the stations is in the lobby. The 100-% smoke-free (thank good ness) hotel has a 24-h fitness centre. Hotel guest enjoy a 20-% discount at La Glories Shopping Centre (kitty-corner from the hotel).

Our room rate included breakfast. We found La Avenida (restaurant) airy with a large sectioned buffet. We found the selection of hot and cold dishes large and very good. There was even my favourite Serrano ham and spicy chorizo. The selection of cold meats and cheeses was large. Coffee, brewed cup-by-cup, was very good. We also had dinner in La Avenida on our day of arrival. We chose from a reasonable four-course prix-fixe menu and were glad we did, and enjoyed excellent Catalan red wine (included). Thereafter, we sat in the attractive El Rincon bar for Campari with orange juice and a lime wedge.

Our multi-lingual, very knowledgable desk clerk provided helpful instructions. Although one can walk to Sagrada Familia, he suggested we take the new-looking Metro and buy a “10”-ticket (enough for a day or two of travel. En route there, we passed the Torre Agbar, a 38-floor office tower, resembling 30 St, Mary Axe (a.k.a.”the gerkhin”) in London. It is clad with light-reflecting, high-gloss aluminum sheeting consisting of 40 different colours on which 4,500 luminous devices are capable of creating nocturnally reportedly 16 million colours. The hotel is about five minutes from Metro Glorie. Thence, we traveled to Metro Clot, were we changed for Metro Familia Sagrada, At the top of one of the exit steps, we stood right across from Antoni Gaudi’s masterpiece, a seemingly eternal construction site with huge cranes, some of which were used for repairs, others for additions to the church. Unless one buys admission tickets on the Internet, queues can be long. We found it interesting that admission to the church’s crypt is free, although one has to leave the church and use a separate entrance. As the church is so well-known, we won’t comment on it, except to say that it impressed us. The best location for photographs is from behind a small pool across the street, or from a treed lot at the entrance to the church. We also, visited Casa Batllo, a mansion built in 1877 and restored by Gaudi and Josep Marie Jujol, and (now World Heritage site).

As we departed, check-out was a “breeze”. Our statement was accurate and the receptionist had called a taxi that took us to the nearby cruise port. We would return whenever possible.

Room Tip: Higher-level rooms pointing to a side street or the hotel's back are quiet, although even rooms...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Mr. Bonifacius,
Thanks for sharing with us and the travelers comunity your opinion about Four Points by Sheraton Barcelona.
You give to all of us deep detail about the area and also about the hotel facilities and services.
We hope you will come to vist us again in the coming months and we do welcoming you in person.
Look forward to hearing form you.
With warm regards
Bruxelles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

I didn’t want to spend too much money for that very short stay in Barcelona. No W, no Le Meridien, this time I choose to go to the Four Points and it was a very nice surprise.

Dates of my last stay:
February 4, 2013 for 1 night

The Exterior:
The building is nice looking, very modern, on the large avenue Diagonal.

The Area:
Very close to the exhibition center, it is not at all close to the main attractions but it’s quite easy to navigate back and forth from there. A cab will cost you 10€ to Catalunya.
There is a big shopping mall at 5 minutes walking distance and many shops if you need anything. I wouldn’t recommend to look for bars or restaurants though as it’s more exiting to go to the center for that.

The Interior:
Very new and modern but not really in the bad sense of the term. The lobby is very warm with many old leather armchairs.
Behind the main lobby, there is the bar and restaurant where the breakfast happens in the morning until 10.30.
I like the lobby very much but the bar/restaurant is a bit “cold”;

Check in:
One of my favorite ones I have to say. I checked in at 7 PM and was welcomed by a man and a woman and they made me feel very welcome. It was fast and efficient to check in, and in addition they were very helpful to answer all my questions related to my evening organization. Congrats guys, that was a nice time.

The room: 610 (pls check the 2 poor pictures)
It was my first stay in a Four Points. They offer “standard” and “comfort” rooms. I was upgraded to the last one as a Platinum member. Wifi was free and working very well.
I was very surprised by the size of the room. It’s a so called corner one so probably a bit bigger than the usual ones, but you can trust me, nothing to envy to the other Starwood brands in term of space.

You enter in a hallway; on your right the bathroom separated by a door and in front another door to the sleeping room. There is a small working desk, but not a problem for working a couple of hours, and the bed area is quite big for such a budget hotel as you can see.

The Air Conditioning/Heating in the room:
The temperature was perfectly easy to choose.

The Bathroom:
Not very large but featuring a “Jacuzzi” bad in which you can of course also shower. The shower system is great.
There is shower gel and shampoo attached to the wall in addition to the other amenities: shower gel, shampoo, soap, dental kit, shoe kit, conditioner, cotton buds, comb…again, quite complete for such a budget!
On top of that they provide “Le Meridien” branded slippers which are very comfy!

The Bed:
It’s large and very comfy too. I had a great night sleeping there.

The Breakfast:
Although I was offered it for free, I woke up too late to taste it.

Room Service:
Not used this time. I simply got myself a bottle of Spanish wine at the bar and took it in the room.

Check out:
Fast and easy, like check in was, no errors in the bill either.

I really liked:
- The very nice and friendly staff.
- The amazing room for a 80€ budget in such a city!
- The general atmosphere of the hotel room and public areas.

I really disliked:
I can’t think about something that was negative during this stay.
Of course, when in Barcelona, or another city with so much action, it’s maybe a better option to go central, but it didn’t really bother me to get a cab and what I saved on the room I was delighted to spend it on cabs, restaurants and bars!

My conclusion:
After such a good surprise, I would probably return to the Four Points if I’m travelling for business only, alone without the wife. It is cool to be upgraded in a very spacious suite as a Platinum member in other Starwood properties, but what is the point to spend 4 or 8 times the same amount of money if the only time you spend in your room is to sleep and shower.

Thanks for reading one more bad English review!

All the best,
Stephane

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank StephaneBxl
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

I just spent one night there so I can't really give any opinion about staff or other facilities of the hotel more than the room itself and the breakfast.
The room was quite big (double room) and the bed was really comfortable. Big windows that allowed a lot of light in the room during the day, which I personally love.
The breakfast was great. A good variety of food is offered. Maybe the breakfast room wasn't too big or that's the impression I got.
The location is fairly good, and the underground station is not too far, maybe 5 to 10 minute walk, if I recall right.
The price seemed not too excessive to me, given the hotel was, overall, pretty nice .

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

The hotel staff are very friendly and there is a security guard at the hotel door at night, I feel safe staying here!
Room is very clean and the bed is super comfortable!
There is a supermarket across the road and a Glories shopping centre 5 mins away. Barcelona cabs are quite cheap, it cost €5 from the hotel to Sagrada Familia and €7 to Las Ramblas from hotel. It cost around €32 to reach hotel by taxi (this includes peak time surcharge after 8pm). However, be very careful when you are taking a cab from the hotel as there a few cab drivers waiting behind the hotel, if you hail a cab at the front of the hotel, these drivers will come up and quarrel with the other taxi driver, telling them they've wait there for a long time. I personally feel they did something to their taxi meter because the price from hotel to airport is the same as I took the cab from airport to hotel (in the morning without extra surcharge).

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank valtripadv
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

Nice hotel, great location, close to subway, shopping center and beach. The hotel is in my view a very good location, no noise at night and during the short walk to the Metro Centre. On the beach about 20 minutes over a journey full of restaurants and bars. Directly opposite the hotel supermarket.
Hotel clean and nice, large room with spectacular views of the city. In a room with a TV, fridge, safe and air conditioning.
The food in the hotel restaurant outdoor seating very tasty.
Definitely recommend it :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank LLukas
Pretoria, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful location walking distance from beach and nice restaurants along the way. Staff very helpful and friendly . Good breakfast. Would definitely recommend this hotel. Big bed and nice room. Would like more english tv channels...