“Tour of the Gothic Quarter” 4 of 5 bubbles

Travel Bound Barcelona Free Walking Tours
Ranked #14 of 525 Tours in Barcelona
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Join our FREE WALKING TOUR for the ultimate journey through time and space in Barcelona's historic Gothic Quarter. Your EXPERT GUIDE will bring ancient, medieval and modern Barcelona to life by retracing the steps of its heroes, monarchs, saints, invaders, dictators, artists and civilisations. Discover the depth of the Catalan capital and fall in love with one of the most exciting cities in Europe to explore on foot! ...................................................................................... BARCELONA'S ORIGINAL FREE WALKING TOUR : The meeting point for our all our DAILY walking tours is TRAVEL BAR. This famous check point for travellers is positioned just off Las Ramblas in the Gothic Quarter on C/De BOQUERIA 27. Looking for landmarks? C/de BOQUERIA is a street that meets Las Ramblas near Liceu Metro station. Look up to find a Chinese dragon marks the street corner with Las Ramblas and look down to find Miro's mosaic should under your feet on Las Ramblas. A short way along is TRAVEL BAR: NUMBER 27 C/de BOQUERIA ...................................................................................... -- Barcelona's ORIGINAL FREE WALKING TOUR begins at 11:00, 13:00 and 15:00 everyday! -- Introduccion a BARCELONA Tour Guiado Gratuito a las 11:00 (en Castellano) -- ABOUT : BARCELONA'S ORIGINAL FREE WALKING TOUR This tour is the perfect way to discover our city no matter how long your staying in town! Our expert guides and long-time residents of Barcelona will lead you through the ages to explore and discover the most important sights, streets and hidden gems of the historic Gothic Quarter. We will make the medieval Gothic Quarter come to life and teach you all you need to know about the people, culture, cuisine and history of Catalonia's hedonistic capital to help you get the most out of your stay. The Gothic Quarter is full of Barcelona's main attractions, winding stone alleys, and hidden historical gems. While the exact route of this tour may differ according to your guide and group, main attractions, sites and stories that are commonly visited include: - The ancient Roman fortress of Barcino: Walls, aqueducts, guard towers, temples - Barcelona's Cathedral and Gothic super structures: Significant Saints of the city - The castle of the Catalan kings: tales of discovery, conquest and the golden age of trade - Scars from the Spanish Civil War: destruction, dictatorships and the aftermath - Political Placas: ancient and modern political tensions and protests - Catalan cultural sculptures: Sports, art and the Olympics - Streets and Placas of Barcelona's heavyweight creatives: Such as Picasso and Gaudi - The medieval Jewish Quarter and ancient trading alley ways - Las Ramblas and the central squares of the Barrio Gothico After the tours we give you the unique opportunity to sit down inside Travel Bar with your guide to talk, discuss, ask questions and make new friends with your fellow travelers over a glass of locally produced beer or lovely Sangria, Spain's famous wine punch, and maybe even some tapas?
Somerville, Massachusetts
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Tour of the Gothic Quarter”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

As a student, I'm always looking out for good free walking tours. I learned about this one through the hostel where I was staying. Our tour guide was Duncan, and he was great. He walked us around the Gothic Quarter and talked to us about the history of Barcelona...I think we would have gotten completely lost without him! Very knowledgable and friendly.

1 Thank ClaireAustin_TX

• Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Unique Walking Tour of Barcelona - must do!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

Our tour guide IOSAF gave a very intriguing tour of Barcelona's Old City. Iosaf had an obvious passion for Barcelona and it's history. He was very knowledgable and gave a very unique perspective of the city with tons of fun facts!

You can't beat the price of the tour, but make sure to tip your guides accordingly - they deserve it!

2 Thank Ashlie L
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Tour with Chris!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

Chris was an amazing guide, incredibly interesting and knowledgable on everything we saw. We had a rainy cold day, but Chris offered umbrellas to those without and had a sunny charisma that made for a wonderful day. I loved the tour and would definitely take it again!! Great find!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Clancy A
Riga
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Tour with Matthias”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Had a great tour on 6th February with Matthias. He was really knowledgeable on history of Barcelona and Catalonia. The tour leads around Gothic Quarter which doesn't involve SO much walking as expected but that's great too. On the way we met many crazy local people, who felt like a part of the tour.
From all the guides I've walked with in my life Matthias sure was the best one!
We even learned how to dance flamenco on a walking tour!

I love how the tour guides are interested into talking a little bit more after tour, they answer all questions and advice on different things to see.

From Travel Bound "menu" I tried the biking tour and Spanish cooking class aswell - all were amazing with really cool tourists from all over the world.

A must in Barcelona!

2 Thank spidvicious
London, United Kingdom
“A great way to experience Barcelona!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

The walking tour was excellent, very informative and interesting with a friendly atmosphere and I would highly recommend it. It lasted around two and a half hours and the guide took us around the main sites of the Barri Gotic area.

Our guide, Australian Chris, was friendly and very knowledgeable about Barcelona ‘s history as well as local customs. He is also willing to answer general tourist information questions. Although the tour is free he does work for tips which is made clear, as well as other events Travel Bar, where the tour leaves from, has on offer.

We saw various sites relating to a range of Barcelona history including the Spanish Civil War, Spanish Inquisition, Roman remains as well as cultural sites relating to artists such as Picasso and folklore. I learnt a lot from this tour and it gave me a sense of the compactness of the Barri Gotic area. It took me to places I may not have otherwise gone to and pointed out things I would not have noticed. This gave me a good basis for the rest of my visit for places to go back to and cultural references to pick up on.

This tour is suitable for a range of people of all ages and interests, although especially for people travelling on their own because it has such a friendly atmosphere. You were encouraged at the end of the tour to have a drink with the guide and group at Travel Bar which gave the opportunity to speak to the other people on the tour.

I would recommend this tour and I am glad I went of the first day of my visit because it gave me a good set up for knowledge of Barcelona’s history. I enjoyed this tour so much that the next day I went on the free bike tour of Gaudi’s main works with the same guide. I would also recommend this. It was very fun and easy to ride the bikes – it was mainly flat ground. You rode in bike lanes, either on the road or pavements. I am not an experienced or confident cycler but I felt safe in the group and didn’t struggle with fitness despite the tour lasting over 3 hours.