Salsas and Co
Acta Antibes(Barcelona)(Great Value!)
$154
$140
$188
Ayre Hotel Rosellon(Barcelona)(Great Value!)
$288
$251
  • Restaurant
NH Barcelona Ramblas(Barcelona)(Great Value!)
$230
Hotel Balmes(Barcelona)
$235
$203
  • Pool
H10 Marina Barcelona Hotel(Barcelona)(Great Value!)
$241
$214
$347
Agoda.com
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Salsas & Co is an overpriced youth hostel – I am surprised that it is priced and evaluated as a mid-grade B&B.

My sister and I had planned to stay here for four nights (100 euros per night). We paid 130 euros via PayPal to confirm the room prior to arriving, but decided to leave—and lose some of the money—after only one night because:

1. The Salsas & Co website misrepresents the bathroom/bedroom ratio and the room appearance. In reality, there are two shared bathrooms for the four bedrooms on each floor. Some of the bedrooms are triples (which adds up to a lot of people using two bathrooms!). Our two bathrooms were poorly ventilated and generally occupied when we needed them. Also, we were advised not to shower after 10pm and before 7am. Our room consisted of small twin beds with only a fitted sheet, flat sheet, and pillow. The furniture consisted of the cheapest, particle board shelving, and paper streamers across the ceiling. The room looked NOTHING like the bed/room images we viewed on Trip Advisor or the Salsas & Co website. It was more uncomfortable than any youth hostel I’ve stayed in.

2. Our room lacked access to a window for fresh air. The room was so stuffy and sweltering that we sweated all night and couldn't sleep—the room was at least 10 degrees warmer than the outside temperature. (Our room had a fan, but fans are useless without fresh air!)

3. After one night, when we politely explained why we were leaving, the owner (Fleur) immediately yelled at us without giving us a chance to speak (via telephone—we never actually met her in person) and threatened to call the police. Her assistant grabbed my sister by the arm, blocked the door, and tried to refuse exit until we paid for three nights we wouldn’t use. We refused to pay for the three unused nights because we had already paid for MORE than the night we used. (As a side note, there was absolutely no cancellation policy, though Fleur angrily insisted that there was.)

4. The cooking classes were nowhere to be found.

Also, be aware of the following:

1. The B&B consists of eight rooms on two non-adjacent floors of a high-rise building. Only the lower four bedrooms are directly adjacent to the B&B lobby. The upper floor (located 2-3 floors above the lobby) is accessible via a tiny elevator and dark, stuffy hallway.

2. There is no inner courtyard conferring “peace and sweetness” (as the website proclaims). Rather, the rooms overlook a tall, narrow, dark, unused, courtyard. It lacks natural daylight or ventilation.

3. Check-in hours are very limited (2-6pm or so). You will get charged extra if you arrive after that. Late arrivals after 11pm are not tolerated (I have no idea what would happen if your flight to Barcelona was late...)

Of all B&B's, youth hostels, and hotels I've visited in Europe over a three month period, this was my worst experience and the worst value (by far). I would absolutely not return and would give it 0 stars if I could.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank rachael_CA
Fleur S, Propriétaire at Salsas and Co, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear guest,
I’m very sorry to read that you were so disappointed by your stay with us. I will simply respond briefly to your key points.

1. Our website does, we believe, reflect our ‘home from home’ and we have never before had anyone say that it is not representative. The images are a true reflection of our home and we request our guests to be considerate and, ideally, not use the shower late at night so as not to disturb others – but it is not forbidden! Just a general courtesy.

2. We don’t claim to have air conditioning for the moment, (it is not standard in the old part of Barcelona) and Barcelona is warm in the summer!

3. & 4. When a guest ask for checking out 3 nights earlier with the personal arguments like "Barcelona is too hot", unfortunately yes the booking has to be paid.
We of course respect your opinions but your recollection of the final conversation/actions, in our opinion, is not accurate. And we do have a cancellation policy but I have taken your point and will ensure it is more clearly indicated on our literature.

Finally, €100 euros for a superior double room with breakfast is not expensive for Barcelona and we are 25% less expensive than most other B&Bs in Barcelona. It's used to pay €130 to confirm a booking for 4 nights. At some other B&Bs a full payment in advance for all stay is required to confirm the booking in the high season i.e. now. We offered flexible way to book but 7 days before arriving is a non-refundable option.

Salsas and Co is dedicated to travellers, open to good experiences and shared moments with guests from all around the world, who love to cook and enjoy vintage style decoration. We are not a 4/5 star, impersonal business hotel with en suite bathrooms and air conditioning.

Nothing pretentious, just a home from home – to most guests. I hope you enjoy the rest of your travels.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

My girlfriend and I recently stayed here and adored it. As most of the other reviewers have already stated, the rooms are very clean and tastefully appointed, and the shared bathroom is not even an issue; there are two and they are maintained immaculately throughout the day. Indeed it is not in the city center, but we walked everywhere and actually enjoyed getting to see and know Barcelona by foot. There is nothing touristic about the area where Salsas is located, so it's a great opportunity to have some authentic experiences too. Fleur is radiant, smiling, and passionate about her food. There is no way to have a bad day after beginning it with one of her prepared-to-order breakfasts. We will definitely return!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I chose this B&B due to its reasonable prices and good location. The owner is very attentive and helpful. There is very tiny elevator. There are many stairs and the place is not wheelchair accessible, but elevator helps with big luggage. The selection of breakfast was nice surprise. It is good to know that you have to order things from the breakfast menu, and they bring only some things first, and then you can order more if you need. Rooms are not huge but I liked much about this place.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 22, 2013

As the other reviews explain, the b&b is very clean and comfortable. Be warned that there is no air conditioning which can be VERY hot in the summer!!! The location is not convenient to the metro station but the buses work quite well and are close. The neighborhood is very safe and quiet but it is a hike to get to any of the museums or tourist areas and restaurants. Fleur is lovely and the only reason I gave this review only 3 stars is that we were very excited about doing a cooking class that was to be offered on the last night we were in town and it was cancelled 45 min before it was to begin. This was not only disappointing (we chose to stay at this b&b because of the cooking classes) but inconvenient as we planned our entire day around being back at a certain time to be ready for the cooking class. We actually skipped going to a few spots on our list to be back in time.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Fleur S, Propriétaire at Salsas and Co, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Dear guest,
Thanks for you nice review, it always help us to offer a better service. Unfortunately, and as I told you during your stay, the cookery class starts with a minimum of 4 guests. As we had cancelation I left a message to you earlier in the afternoon on you mobile, to cancel, as I said I would probably do. Sometimes we are depending of the others. Flexibility is very important from us and from you also, because there are things we can't manage.
In another part, I understand your point of view, Barcelona is very hot on summer. On our wesite we never said we had air conditionning but all our rooms have air fan on demand. In case of problem, we are always here and try do the maximum to help you to have a nice stay. I'm sorry for those disappointments. Best regards, Fleur.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed here recently, and loved it. It's in a great area, with access to public transport nearby. It's very cool and stylish, with a lovely room for breakfast and relaxing in the evening. Bathrooms and bedrooms clean and comfortable, even if you do need to share - we never queued the whole time we were there. Highlight was the breakfast, with home made yoghurt, ginger bread, and freshly squeezed OJ - and we were looked after wonderfully by Emily and Fleur.

Room Tip: Ask for the back room - very quiet, and charming.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family