Barcelona Photography Tours
Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Review Highlights
Great For Learning Street Photography

I booked this experience as a birthday surprise for my husband, who is a great landscape and nature... read more

Reviewed February 20, 2020
eebeard
Richmond, Virginia
10/10!!!

This was a present for my 11 year old son who has recently shown an interest in photography. Mabel... read more

Reviewed February 2, 2020
aliluss
Barcelona, Spain
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Barcelona
from $83.90
from $31.48
from $43.11
from $71.86
More Info
All reviews street photography photo tour manual mode camera settings some great photos great teacher hour tour different angles learned a great deal gothic quarter nico photographs skills shooting neighborhoods scenes dslr
Selected filters
Reviewed June 2, 2018

A few weeks ago I did some street photography in Barcelona with Nicolás Carvalho Ochoa from Barcelona photography tours. Learned a lot about how to use the available light in various situations, thanks again Nicolas! For those who plan a trip to Barcelona and who love photography, I recommend to contact Nicolas or Barcelona Photography Tours for profound and professional guidance through this beautiful city.

Reviewed May 26, 2018

A few months ago, knowing that I would be relaxing a few days in Barcelona (BCN) after a 4 country trip through Europe and North Africa, I contacted Barcelona Photography Tours. The owner asked me to submit a few photos and give my photography background in order to pair with with the appropriate mentor. What a surprise when my appointed guide, Nicólas (aka Nico), contacted 2 MONTHS before I even arrived, introducing himself and answering any questions I may have. I was very honest with him: I hadn't shot in a long time and was totally frustrated with my new (and first) digital camera the Sony RX 10 mark IV. I even contacted him when I was in Morocco asking him why I shot MUCH better photos with my iPhone 8+ than with the Sony. His answer was surprising as I thought for sure that he would just tell me the obvious: "You don't know your camera". Instead, he said that it depends on the situation, that sometimes a smartphone is better and sometimes only a pro camera can do the job. By the time we met, I'd already explored BCN for a couple of days on my own. We had set up a 6 hr (5pm-11pm) evening followed by a 3 hr day (10a-1pm) tours. He brought the tripod but we never used it. Having hired many guides all over the world for this kind of thing, I had assumed he would do exactly the same as the others: glance at my settings, put me in Aperture priority and then take me to "pretty" or "interesting" places. When he told me our first stop would be a huge market, I was disappointed at first since markets are a "given" with lots of activity and lots of color. INSTEAD, he had me go on full manual and then we had a long discussion regarding color balance. Then we went to the back of the market where he patiently tried to show me the different types of light being projected. By now, I knew that this evening was going to very different. Forget my expectations and concentrate on what he was saying. We wandered into places that few tourists go even though it was only a few corners from the Cathedral. He had me laying on my stomach so that I could see this one wall (historic and dramatic with a very sad history) from a different perspective PLUS choosing ISO/shutter/aperture/color balance. We were there for at least 45 minutes. As we were getting ready to leave, my best pics of the evening took place that was totally unexpected: a young man while talking with his friends in a corner of this small plaza decided to "parkour" his way up a wall, sit on top of the lintel of the door before coming back down the other wall! The hours of work and teaching from Nico regarding light and being ready with your camera came to fruition.
Day tour: the next day, we concentrated on composition taking me to places where everyday people lived and played.
As a thank you, after all was well and done, I asked him to join me at a local (El Born area) "pulporía" that served very traditional fresh seafood like squid and octopus; many tapa dishes were devoured. Wine was drank from a cup, Galician style!!
Thank you, Nico, for your patient teaching of this 60 year old American! Good luck in all your endeavors. Don't forget to drink more water.

Date of experience: May 2018
laurieciao, Owner at Barcelona Photography Tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2018

Thank you so much for your detailed review, and for letting others know of your experience with Barcelona Photography Tours. We really appreciate you taking the time to write down your opinions and what you expected of our services.
Yes, Nico is an invaluable member of our small team. We are delighted that you had a great chemistry! I am so glad that you enjoyed our marvelous city like a local.
We would love to have you attend one of our photo workshops in the future! Best wishes,
Laurie

Reviewed May 14, 2018

It was an very amazing trip. We spent a fantastic evening and night with Nicolàs exploring Barcelona. Nicolàs was a great guide with him we had a perfect route around Las Rambles, the markets and Gothic Quarter. As advanced amateurs Nicolàs was still able to challenge us while pointing out great photo opportunities we may have walked straight past. Thoroughly recommend this tour for anyone interested in photography and get to know the central part of Barcelona.

1  Thank Anja S
Reviewed May 11, 2018

Mabel is a really talented photographer led the photowalk really well, with a lot of tips on composition, metering etc. her introduction to Street photography was spot on, with great insight into capturing moments. The tour was great with the different photo spots just perfect, in the short span of time!

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed May 10, 2018

Six hours with Nico made me hungry for more. Nico was very engaging. He taught me to shoot in Manual Mode, and I don't think I will ever shoot any other way. I also learned so much about my Canon 60d that I did not know before, so I hope to get more out of it in the future. My wife, a complete novice, learned so much and she is now shooting in manual after only shooting in automatic. She too is more hungry than ever to learn.
Nico showed us some great places in Barcelona that we would not have seen. He also helped us visualize light in a new and different way. I didn't always grasp the concepts, but I certainly understand them much better. I really enjoyed the night time shooting. I wish me had more time to work on tripod shots. He did have me lying on the ground and getting some night shots that were terrific. what a fun tour. We will check Nico out again when we return to BCN. It was a highlight of our Spanish holiday.

Date of experience: April 2018