“Wowee!! A visual treat for your eye peepers! ”

Frederic Mares Museum (Museu Frederic Mares)
Book In Advance
More Info
$53.91*
and up
Barcelona Card with Guidebook
Ranked #90 of 757 things to do in Barcelona
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Wowee! Awesome collection. Displayed beautifully and lit superbly. It's a visual delight! If you love inpretation, prob not for you. But if you love stuff and lots of it. Go! The way the stuff is displayed is a work of art. My fave museum in Barcelona by far.

All reviews
"gothic quarter"
in 10 reviews
"fascinating place"

Reviewed April 19, 2013

This museum/collection is not highly featured in the tour books - there are more obvious places to visit in Barcelona. But, for me, it is one of the highlights of a visit to the city. This is the personal collection of a Barcelona artist/sculptor for the early 20th century. One large room - his library/study - contains some of his works and these are worth visiting in themselves. In the last few years the way the collection is displayed has been much improved, although on the top two floors there is a crazy and wonderful collection of just-about anything you can imagine - toy theatres, watches, ironwork, shell 'flowers' - see what other reviewers have mentioned. For me the ground and first floors are the highlight - a vast collection of religious statues, mainly Madonnas and Christ on the cross - the sort of items that would have been around the altar in medieval churches. These are amazing. Some might find such a collection oppressive or weird. I found it incredibly moving and poignant. Barcelona offers many amazing sights and experiences but, for me, this is in the top ten.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

What a strange and wonderful museum this is. We happened upon this treasure on a rainy day in Barcelona looking for something interesting to do and we were not disappointed! The first thing that we noticed was the beautiful courtyard before the entrance. If only it were not raining, I think we could have enjoyed some time just sitting peacefully. The second thing we noted was that the ticket price was inexpensive and when we were handed the tickets we were told that we could come back for a second visit, free of charge, within the next 30 days. When I asked 'Why?' we were told that the collection was quite large and we might want to see everything in two trips. Well, they were not kidding.

This museum is a collector's dream. If you collect anything -- anything at all -- this gentleman has got you beat! From what I understand he collected just about everything and left it all to the city of Barcelona on his death. And they needed a HUGE museum for it. I can't imagine how big his home was or where he managed to store all of this.

The first floor is dedicated to religious Hispanic sculpture from the 12th to the 19th centuries in Spain. Although I am not a religious person, the collection is impressive to say the least. The workmanship on show is something to behold and the sheer amount of crucifixes was almost a bit overwhelming.

Once you come to the rest of his collection, it is very lighthearted and fun. A drastic and welcomed change from the more serious first part. It is all presented beautifully... the clocks, the spectacles, the matchbooks and pipes, the bicycles and fans and hat pins and combs... Wow! My favourite spot, however, was at the very top of the museum where there is a brilliant collection of children's toys. There are shadow boxes along the walls with buttons that are sooo tempting. Luckily one of the staff saw me poking lightly at one of the buttons and explained that it was not working but invited me to press a button on another of the boxes. I did so and watch it come to life inside. Just brilliant! So don't be afraid to touch those buttons should you find yourself tempted on the top floor!

This was a fantastic afternoon well spent. While I would not add it to the 'Must See' list in Barcelona, I can easily and highly recommend it if you have the spare time.

1  Thank Jess S
Reviewed April 4, 2013

It is an amazing place full of masterpieces. I absolutely recommend it. One thing that called my attention was that there were so few people in the museum. It is a shame as the tickets are very cheap and allows you to visit this HUGE place twice. You have to give it a try!!!

See more reviews
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Very curious museum. The sculptures of Mares himself are very nice and beautiful to behold. They are displayed in a nice, but smallish room. The really odd stuff, though, are the "collections." Stamps, cigar wrappers, scissors, crucifixes, nails, glasses, fans, knives, pipes. You name it, he collected it. Its like a time capsule of life in the 19th century. The sculpture collection on the bottom 2 floors is a bit heavy on religious art. Lots of crucifixes and Marys, but from a variety of different time periods, so you can compare and contrast styles and symbolism across periods.