“Probably best accomodation in town!”
Review of Hostal Grau

Hostal Grau
Ranked #109 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hamburg, Germany
“Probably best accomodation in town!”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I have had some 8 or 9 stays in Hosteria Grau and everyone of them was spotless, friendly and very hospitable.
Recently I went back to BCN and had a booking, but unfortunately, as can happen to anyone anywhere, the construction works weren't finished. The friendly and helpful owners contacted me in advance and offered to find another place to stay close-by. This is quite exceptional, I think. Everything worked out fine and I was even invited for a drink here and there.
I just noticed a negative rating of the place and can only say that - from my point of view - the comment given cannot bear the truth. The owner are very honest, loyal and grateful hosts. There is no way they would cheat on anyone.
Please do not get distracted by negative comments. Some people are always dissatisfied (for whatever reasons...).
Cheers, nice day to BCN and the world! Marty

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Marty J
HosteriaGrau, Owner at Hostal Grau, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Thank you very much for your review even with the works going on during your stay.
It was a pleasure having you in our house.
Wish you best luck and health
Monica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Paris, France
Reviewed February 10, 2013

This hosteria is near placa catalunya and you can reach everything by feet. The hostel has a nice antique interieur with beautiful details everywhere, the rooms are nice, cozy and clean, and although you are in the centro, it is calm at night.
The people who work here are always very helpful and friendly we felt very welcome.
Affiliated to the Hosteria is a nice Bar where you can get a delicious breakfast and tasty Tortillas. According to the price this was a very good choice! We will come back, thank you.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank xeniaontour
dublin
Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights. Location was fantastic,got a taxi from airport but the airport bus stops only 5 min walk away which made our return trip easier. Just a minutes walk from las ramblas,right in the centre of everything. Clean rooms,lovely bathroom with great shower and lighting. Decor rustic and tasteful. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank pinkymalinki
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I stayed here over 5 years ago but then found that somehow Trip Advisor had saved this in my places somehow. I looked but didn't see a review posted from me so I thought I would write a quick one, although some things may have obviously changed.

When I stayed here in 2007 I was on a very tight budget but wanted my own room. Location was key, and in that regard this place was perfect.

Hosteria Grau is A FEW BLOCKS AWAY FROM THE GOVT RUN TOURIST BUSES THAT ALLOW YOU TO HOP ON/HOP OFF. This is a must for people visiting, particularly for people on shorter stays as there is so much to see and do in Barcelona. Barcelona is huge, but I found this to be very central. I hardly ever used a taxi and got a great overview of the city in 2 full days. I only slept, bathed and used the internet here, but I love my stay. Everything was as promised and while I had no en-suite bathroom, things were tidy and worked out fine. Honestly, even with a larger budget now, I would strongly consider staying here again...but I would budge 3-5 days minimum.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank troy mcclure
Frankfurt
Reviewed January 10, 2013

The hotel is very well located, in a small street parallel to the Ramblas. close to Plaza Catalunya where you can get, for instance, the bus to the airport.

We had booked an apartment because there was no rooms left anymore. The apartment was in the adjacent building, the access stair to it was dark and dirty. The apartment itself was also dark, old , poorly furnished, ...... so ugly that we ask to change to a normal double room. The staff was helpful and found a double room available from the next day on.
The room was very good, very small but nice, clean, pleasant!

No breakfast was offered because the restaurant was being renovated.

Our stay in the hosteria Grau was OK but I would not specially recommend it.

Room Tip: Avoid the apartments
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed here because we needed a room for four. We travel with our two teenagers. We were supposed to have one big room, but we got two connected rooms. We arrived on a very rainy day after a long train and subway ride. They were kind to get our rooms ready for us, so we could unwind for a little. The rooms were a little dark and the small windows opened up into alleyways. The lighting did not make up for the lack of natural light. It was nice to have two bathrooms and get the two rooms for the price of the one room. We didn't take breakfast here, as we got up too late. It is a tiny lobby and I am not even sure where the breakfast room would have been. It was an okay location off the top of the Ramblas. It was a fine experience, and staff was friendly enough, suggesting restaurants, etc., but I would probably look for another hotel next time.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
HosteriaGrau, Propietario at Hostal Grau, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Thank you for your opinion, it will help us to improve with the renovation that is going on at this moment.

We are making the room bigger, bathrooms, bigger as well, a new restaurant, a lounge with a fireplace, a vertical garden at the back and anothe vertical garden outside. We will get the leed certification(Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design)which is a rating system and environmental sustainability for buildings developed by the U.S. Green Building Council.

Hosteria Grau is closed at this moment , as you know, and it will remind like this until March 10th 2013, it is when it will be the time to begin a new stage. We will not be an standard hotel that you can find in every corner, we won´t be a “fashion” hotel that you can see in every city in the world, we will be that “special hotel” that keeps its personal cozy style and makes it unique. Always feeling like home....

i hope you change your mind and give us a chance . You won´r regret.

best luck for this 2013.

monica
DC
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We spent several days at this hotel after being delayed by Hurricane Sandy. The hotel was great, the staff was friendly and helpful, and the location is perfect. It is about a block off Plaza Catalunya. The hotel was clean and looked like most of it had been renovated not too long ago. There was a little construction on the second floor, but it was quiet at night. Many rooms had their own bathrooms, but we spent one night in a room with a shared bathroom on the hall. This was not an issue as there are not that many rooms on the floor anyway. Free WiFi, but there are no TVs in the rooms. There is a lounge area with a TV and a computer, and they were rarely in use and always available. It is close to public transit, restaurants, and the Terminal Aeroport Bus stop to the airport. Overall it is simple, clean and in a great location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends