“Sweet deal near Las Ramblas”
Review of Hostal Grau

Hostal Grau
Ranked #109 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Sweet deal near Las Ramblas”
Reviewed October 29, 2011

This hostel is near Las Ramblas and on a quiet street. There are many inexpensive restaurants in Raval too (stay away from some other streets in Raval, they are not so safe), Some are even vegetarian or has vegetarian options. The hostel employees speak Spanish, English, and additional languages too so you will have a seemless registration process. We did have a sweet room upstairs that had two twin beds, our own bathroom, and a balcony. It was very comfortable and even recently renovated. Honestly less of a hostel and more of a hotel without the extra services. I did not get Wifi here since there were some compatability issues with my laptop, but they do have a guest computer in the cute lobby area. No free breakfast or extras, but I will stay here next time I am back in Barcelona!

Room Tip: All rooms probably do not have a balcony so ask for one.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed October 21, 2011

This hotel is recommended by DK Eyewitness Travel Guide. The location is marvellous. Easy to find and a very short walk from Plaça de Catalunya. If you like walking you will be able to explore all Old Town attractions by foot, plus all Barceloneta and Passeig de Gràcia. ))) As it is very close to metro you can enjoy travelling to other Catalan sites such as Girona, Figueres, Montserrat, etc.
The room was tiny, with very basic wardrobelike open module for clothes with rail and hangers. No TV or mini bar. It had an AC, ceiling fan, small balcony, and en suite bathroom (shower and toilet) but no wall mounted hair dryer so I had to ask for one at reception and was provided promptly. Walls needed either good washing or re-painting. They were really thin as one night I could here some very naughty girls in the adjacent room chatting loudly till two o'clock (I wondered what was their point in staying in the room when Barcelona's nightlife was so thrilling and one could easily find a nice and cheap or even free place with magnificent views to spend time talking to friends). All other nights were relatively quiet but still the noise from the street (mostly in the morning) could be annoying for those with light sleep. Lights were too dim in the room but very good in the bathroom if you chose to make-up ))). There was a lovely guest area on the first floor of the hotel with free internet access computer. I used it for checking my mail box, sending text messages and flight check in (had my boarding passes printed out at reception). Staff at the reception was always friendly and helpful. Room cleaning was okay. Next to the lift there was a self-service machine with 1 Euro pure water/ juice bottles, 1.5 Euro teeth-cleaning kits, etc. There was also a bar adjacent to the hotel but I did not try it.
Now that I know Barcelona's layout quite well I would not be scared to try some other hotel but only within Ciutat Vella (Old Town) as I just loved being there walking along La Rambla million times a day ))). Maybe closer to the Old Port on some side street as the sea just draws me!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
HosteriaGrau, Propietario at Hostal Grau, responded to this review, January 5, 2013
Thank you for your opinion, it is always very helpful.

Sorry for taking us so long to reply. At this moment we are under renovations. we will have bigger rooms, bigger bathrooms, new restaurant, a lounge with a fireplace, new decoration, inside vertical garden , double wall between rooms and double window, etc...

We are going to get a leed certification(Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design)which is a rating system and environmental sustainability for buildings developed by the U.S. Green Building Council.

Hosteria Grau is closed at this moment , as you know, and it will remind like this until March 10th 2013, it is when it will be the time to begin a new stage. We will not be an standard hotel that you can find in every corner, we won´t be a “fashion” hotel that you can see in every city in the world, we will be that “special hotel” that keeps its personal cozy style and makes it unique. Always feeling like home....

We hope we can see you back. Best luck for this 2013.
Encinitas, California
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Excellent location. Helpful staff(even when I stumbled in drunk at 5 am). Had the "family room". Had two full sized beds and one single bed, living room, dining area. Free wifi is excellent. Balcony overlooking the street out front(which was a bit noisy if your a light sleeper but didnt bother me.) . Perfect location right 1 min walk from Las Ramblas. Excellent bars/resturants right next door with much better prices and food then the tourist traps on Ramblas.

Room Tip: Room 404 has an excellent balcony.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed October 12, 2011

Recently stayed at Hosteria Grau after reading various reviews etc.
Overall it's a great hotel in a convenient and what felt like a safe location. Las Ramblas is close by and thank goodness far enough away that you don't hear all the hustle and bustle of that part of town when you're trying to get a good night's sleep.
My friend and I stayed in one of the apartments in Hosteria Grau and the rooms were very comfortable and clean. The bathroom was spacious and had a good working shower.
I'd say the only downside and slight disappointment were the following: being girls, there was only one small mirror in the bathroom in which to get ready; secondly and more importantly, when I first entered the apartment upon arrival, it doesn't look as cosy as is made out on the hotel's website. It's a bit like internet dating where someone represents themselves by a slightly different picture to how they look in real life and they hope their personality will shine through instead. Fortunuately for Hosteria Grau it did!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed October 3, 2011

We two adults and our 11 years daughter stayed 4 night in this hotel and enjoyed it very much. The place is clean, very nice and located very close to Catalonia square and Las Ramblas. The staff was helpful, very friendly. I would recommend this hotel for all budget travelers in Barcelona.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 2, 2011

This hosteria was a welcome quiet place in a hot bustling city. A very welcoming and nicely decorated lobby give this small hosteria a homey feel. Angel, the desk clerk gave us clear directions to all the sites we wanted to see. Breakfast was adequate and convenient before starting the day.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 2, 2011

My husband and I recently stayed here on a trip to Barcelona. The location is great -just a block of the Ramblas and easy walking distance to the old part of the city where we spent most of our time. The staff were really helpful and friendly and one of the best parts of the place is the 1st floor (2nd if you are American or Canadian) common area with a TV, computer for free use and lots of comfortable sitting space. We also got a basic breakfast with our room (although I think that was bc we mentioned we had Rick Steves Spain book). Otherwise, it may be a few Euros. The negatives were that we ended up getting the upstairs 2 bdrm apartment, bc the other single rooms were booked. I'd say that while spacious, it was a little bit "shabby" (tho the bathroom was recently redone) and the biggest downside was that it smelled of smoke. We mentioned this the first day, thinking either the last guests had smoked or the housecleaning person was a heavy smoker. But when we got back after touring the next afternoon, it was even WORSE. Made me wonder if they'd been smoking while cleaning the room this time! We decided not to mention it again. But it was so bad that (despite closing off the den and kitchen where it was worse) our clothes wreaked the rest of the trip like we 2 pack a day folks. It was kind of wierd. But other than that, I still would recommend this place. Money for value... this place is still a great option in Barcelona.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
hostalgrau, Propietario at Hostal Grau, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
Thank you very much for your review.
I am very sorry to know that Hosteria Grau was not what you expected. We had a problem with one booking, they were supposed to arrive one day later but they turned up one day before and Barcelona was fully booked so we had to reallocate them. This is why we had to move you to a family room. I was very shocked to hear that the room was smelt of tabbacco when it is not allowed to smoke. There is one thing that I do not agree at all and it is when you say that the maids would probably smoke while cleaning the room. This is not possible at all. I was thinking that maybe it could be the patio that is located at the back of the cafe bar, where the breakfast room is. It is allowed to smoke there and if we get to many people smoking at the same time, and the wing blows in a special direction, maybe up to upper floors, the smell of tabbacco in your room could be a possibility. I will make sure we do not get many people smoking in a little place like this patio .
It would be very grateful for me if you could tell me who you spoke with when you mention the funny smell. If would have known this before I could have sorted out the problem .
I hope you do not get a bad impression of our family hotel. It is has been very hard to get where we are and your opinion it is very important to us.
Hope to see you back and thank you very much.
Monica