“Brilliant budget stay.”

Ranked #475 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Brilliant budget stay.”
Reviewed August 15, 2010

Central, clean and cheap. Have stayed here twice and both times have been with a room overlooking the pedestrianised stree to the rear. This street is great to watch from your balcony and it looks way pretty with all the balconies and plants. Having a couple of beers of a night on your balcony is nice too but if there's a group of students in a nearby room it's probably best to have your window shut at lights out. The day staff aren't going to make it onto my christmas card list but neither are they on my hate list. However, the old dude on the nightshift is mint. I think he might have just been humouring us with our terrible Spanglish but he did always have a smile. The rooms are really basic but really clean with an en suite, there's also a common room upstairs for if you want to mingle with the other guests.
Downstairs is the amazing eatery Maoz falafel for a late night munch fest and there's a sharwarma place just down the road. Every morning we would pop out and get coffe and pastries from a little bonbonaria on the pedestrianised street and that was pretty much morning heaven.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PeterEllisToon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 24, 2010

I stayed here with 3 girlfriends in June 2009. We booked on hostelworld and paid 16 euro each a night for a quad room. Guy at reception was nice enough. Lift wasn't working. Room was small but it was enough for us and so good for the price. Had a small balcony overlooking gothic quarter which was so cool! Massive wooden doors closed off the balcony at night and made the room so quiet and dark! Infact I am an early riser and slept till 2pm one day accidently cause the doors made the room so quiet and dark! Bathroom small but hey... For the price it is amazing! Such a good location. We are four party girls from Australia that love to drink so we were in heaven! Gorgeous gelati and juice bar right outside. I felt really safe there, mostly because the suspect people hanging around just wanted to ask us about Australia and stuff when they heard our accents. Had a really great 5 days. Only downside is the beach is too far away

• Stayed September 2009
1 Thank Stephanie M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2010

Dirt cheap, yes. Central, yes. Cozy, somehow. Anyway our stay was ruined by a group of loud drunken Irish teenagers on some sort of stag-like party.
The reception staff said they could not help with the noise, so we ended up awake until 5 AM.

If it was not for the noise - basic rooms, small bathroom, not very clean but not filthy either. Just about average

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Melafafon

Travelers are raving about these Barcelona hotels

London
Reviewed January 7, 2010

The accomodation was very basic but clean and the service was acceptable. The location is very central to the Ramba and the Cathedral and the old town. However the problem which outweighs all this is the noise at night which stopped me getting a wink of sleep.
The windows are original and not double glazed so the street noise can't be kept out and bear in mind that the Spanish stay up till the small hours. Secondly the tall buildings amplify the noise of traffic, carousing, street cleaning machines etc. .
Furthermore there was a lot of noise from inside the hotel such as slamming doors, chattering and occasional rowdiness. Again there is no soundproofing whatsoever.
Another minor niggle was that the TV was at the wrong angle to watch.
Although the hotel is ideally situated for a city break I could not recommend it because of the risk of having your sleep ruined. That is, unless you are capable of sleeping through a bombing raid.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Moscow
Reviewed August 24, 2009

I felt really uncomfortable there - it was difficult to enter the lift, the corridors were long, narrow and dark and the room was reaaly small. But the bathroom!!! It was like 1m* 1m, one couldn't even sit on the toilet properly!
Our room was facing the street which is really noisy day and night. Sleeping was reaaly difficult there.
Only location helps them with occupancy.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
grimsby
Reviewed June 1, 2009

Just been for a weekend in Barcelona and stayed at the Rey Don Jaime, having read the reviews on this site i thought faulty towers. The rooms were very good with a good size bath room, the towels were a bit rough and the old guy on reception was no help at all. The location is excellent, right in the middle of the action, the only problem we encountered was constantly being harrased by prostitutes (one of the party was robbed), taking all this into account for what we paid we had a great stay.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
London
Reviewed May 21, 2009

I booked a room at this hotel to celebrate my boyfriend's birthday. I paid a deposit and requested that we did get a nice room with a balcony because it was a special occasion.

The hotel emailed me back and said no problem. Great news.

When we arrived we were given a room that looked like a prison cell. The smallest bed I've ever seen, no proper window and no balcony. I was so disappointed. I went down to talk to the owner and he was the rude, loud and very unpleasant.

Even though I had booked well in advanced and told I could get a room with a balcony this didn't seem to matter. He told me 'take it or leave it - we are full'. Lovely. So we didn't take it and moved to a hotel across the road.

I still had to pay the cost of the room for the night AND lost my deposit - in total 65 Euros - what a waste of money.

So - if you are going to this hotel don't bother booking as it doesn't mean anything and don't leave a deposit. If you turn up you might be lucky and not get the prison room we were offered.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple