“Very good in a great location”

Hotel Rey Don Jaime I
Ranked #473 of 514 Hotels in Barcelona
johnnytipp
“Very good in a great location”
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

I brought a school group from Ireland consisting of 5 teachers and 21 teenagers to stay here for three nights over Easter. I was very worried seeing the reviews here but our experience was very positive. The rooms were all fine with single beds for all and very comfortable and clean. Security excellent with restricted access through front door. There is noise on street at night but this is a major city. The rooms were cleaned every day and fresh towels were supplied. Overall we were very happy with what we got for a very reasonable price

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank johnnytipp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
Salerno, Italy
Reviewed March 25, 2013

PROs: This hotel is placed in the middle of the "Barrio Gotico" (the gothic quarter of Barcelona) so, basically, it's near to most of the exciting things: playa de la Barceloneta, Las Ramblas, gothic cathedral, plaza Catalunya, and so on...
Room temperature was ok. Wifi signal strength and speed in the room was good.

CONs: when we asked for a hair-dryer they told us there was only one and it was already taken. We went back in the middle of the night and asked the same to a different receptionist and he immediately gave it us. Rooms look old and dusty, my bed had a broken leg (but it was comfortable), the bed of one of my friends looked more like a hammock, the first morning there was no hot water (to have a shower), the last day the wifi connection went down.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
jessica g, Manager at Hotel Rey Don Jaime I, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you found our location and amenities good for your trip! I sincerely apologize for the hot water and wifi signal on the last day of your stay. If you decide to come back in the future, please contact us directly and we will be happy to provide a discount on your stay.
Thanks
AAE REY DON JAIME
Nettuno, Italy
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I booked this hotel online and I was a bit worried cause when you book an hotel online you don't know what you'll have.
But I have been very happy about my choice, the hotel is small, but very nice, clean and tidy.
The room is small but you have all that you need.
The location is great, very close to the metro station Jaume 1 and you can walk to the Rambla in 5 minutes.
All around the hotel there are a lots or restaurants, bar and a wonderful patisserie.
Enjoy Barcelona!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank JessicaO9
Thank you for leaving a review of the property. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay as we strive to create value in a great location.
We hope you stay with us again in the future.
Kind Regards,
Rey Don Jaime
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We just stayed one night but this was one night too much!
The only thing that looked good was the entry of the hotel!
The woman on the reception wasn`t very polite or nice at all. She wanted right away that we pay the hotel room and that was one point where we already should have been distrustful!!!!
And after we had arrived in our room we knew why she wanted the money before we had seen the room! it was ugly!!!!
We booked a double room instead of that we got a three bed room! And those "beds" weren`t even beds!!!!!! These were folding beds, very old ones!!!!!
The wall was distroyed everywhere!
The door handle in the bath room was broken!
The shower was not clean at all I bet they haven`t clean it since 3 years or something like that! So we couldn`t even take a shower that was very nasty!!!! But better than getting sick of the dirt in the shower right?!!!
We stayed out as long as we could so we spend as less time in that hotel room as we could.
We didn`t really sleep in that night. Once I took of the bedcover I almost had to throw up!!!! There were foreign black hairs on the bed everywhere!!!!!
There was a TV in the room but no remote control so there was just one channel....
Everywhere it was dusty!! I could wrote my name on the chair!!!
The receptionist gave us a sheet for the free W-lan. It didn`t work at all!!!!! Because the distance between the reception and our room was too big! Ridiculous!!!! We were in the first floor!!!
Look at my pictures here and you can see how horrible this hotel is!!!!!
And the pictures of their rooms on the internet I think they don`t even exist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank J P
Thank you for your feedback and choosing the AAE Rey Don Jaime for your stay.
I apologize that your room was not up to our standards and put a damper on your trip. Please contact me directly as we would be happy to look further into your stay and help rectify this situation.
Kind Regards,
AAE REY DON JAIME

Travelers are raving about these Barcelona hotels

Marlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I stayed here with three friends last summer and it was pretty awful. The location is great, but thankfully we only had to stay here one night. We had a 4 bed room and it was SO hot! No air conditioning, just one broken fan. Safe to say it was an unpleasantly hot August night! TV didn't work either and staff did the bare minimum for you. Our bathroom was tiny and had no ventilation, it was like a sauna! The road it is on is also very loud in the morning. As we needed the window open, there was a lot of noise early on. Very basic, not particularly clean, but it'll do for a night I suppose! Not great value for what you get though.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MarlowReviewer
Wirral
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Found the location of this hotel to be ideal for site seeing as in the centre of the gothic quarter.
Found to be clean , safe and staff pleasant . My room was adequate for a person who just wanted convenient place to sleep with en suite facilities. I had an inside room if had an exteriour room like my friends would have been more than happy and given 4 * review.
A good hotel for a tourist but not for someone who does not intend to be out most of the time.
The only quirk was the lift that seemed to have a mind of its own at times but made for some mystery !

Room Tip: Ask for an exteriour room as balcony quite quaint .
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Hawklord
jessica g, Manager at Hotel Rey Don Jaime I, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for your kind review! Our location has always been a favorite amongst guests. We hope to have you back soon!
AAE Rey Don Jaime
Gillingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2012

When my friend suggested this hotel to me I was worried - I had never stayed in any hotel less than a 3-star (I normally try to stay in 4-stars on holidays), but we decided to book it anyway simply because the location looked great (very very central in Barcelona, perfect for our sightseeing trip), the price wasn't too bad and we was only staying 3 nights anyway, so we would just put up with it. This review is aimed at all those people who have the same worry but want to know the outcome of this 1-star hotel!

Arrived at the hotel (just a 5 min walk from La Ramblas) and was pleasantly surprised at our first floor room - small but cosy, nice decor, little balcony overlooking the street outside, cupboard and wardrobe space, and a small but fairly modern (in my opinion) bathroom - everything looked clean and looked after. I assumed that for our stay I would be cringing every time I was in the shower or using the sink or getting into bed etc - but I actuallly felt very laid back staying in this room. The only slight clue that showed this was a 1-star was a rotting door frame in the bathroom (just the very bottom of it) which I did notice an ant or two wandering around a few times. I know that may be gross to some people, and if it had been cockroaches or slugs or something I would probably have been bothered, but one or two ants were not a problem to me.

Our room was cleaned and tidied every day, the towels were fresh and clean, as did the bedding and there was a safe in the room if you wanted one.

Being two girls on our own in Barcelona, I must say I think our minds were definitely put to rest staying at this hotel, as we had three keys - one for the main doors, one for a door to the first floor, and another for our room - i think its safe to say we felt very secure! Some of the streets around the hotel are a little scary at night (very small, dark and quiet almost like alleyways) and for a city well-known for mugging it was great that there was more of a main road nearby that we ended up using in the evenings to avoid the "scary alleys route" (which we never experienced anything bad happen in, we just felt a bit vulnerable in!)

The hotel is right in the centre of Barcelona - 5 mins from La Ramblas, 10 mins from the beach, literally next door to the Cathedral - so it really is a worthwhile place to stay if your not fussy about star ratings or snobby! (I also did not get disturbed by noise at night by the way). We looked at 4-star hotels that cost about the same as this one but they were 45 mins away from the city centre - despite the fact this is only a 1-star (but a surprisingly nice one at that), for a sightseeing trip of 3 days, spending little time in your room and just needing a safe, secure, perfectly adequate and central place to stay while your there - this is the perfect place to choose.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank SARAH R
Thank you for taking a time to leave a review. I am glad you found our location a safe and convenient place for single female travelers. We do our best to make sure our rooms are tidy and safe for all travelers.
Hope to have you back soon!
AAE Rey Don Jaime