Hotel Jaume I
$167
$154
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Gran Hotel Torre Catalunya(Barcelona)
$139
Barcelo Raval(Barcelona)
$293
Elvoline
  • Pool
All reviewsroof fanserviced everydaybuy earplugsbasic hotelmetro stationnoisy at nightprivate bathroomclean towelsthe heart of the citystayed here for nightsla ramblaramblas
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 22, 2012

When my friend suggested this hotel to me I was worried - I had never stayed in any hotel less than a 3-star (I normally try to stay in 4-stars on holidays), but we decided to book it anyway simply because the location looked great (very very central in Barcelona, perfect for our sightseeing trip), the price wasn't too bad and we was only staying 3 nights anyway, so we would just put up with it. This review is aimed at all those people who have the same worry but want to know the outcome of this 1-star hotel!

Arrived at the hotel (just a 5 min walk from La Ramblas) and was pleasantly surprised at our first floor room - small but cosy, nice decor, little balcony overlooking the street outside, cupboard and wardrobe space, and a small but fairly modern (in my opinion) bathroom - everything looked clean and looked after. I assumed that for our stay I would be cringing every time I was in the shower or using the sink or getting into bed etc - but I actuallly felt very laid back staying in this room. The only slight clue that showed this was a 1-star was a rotting door frame in the bathroom (just the very bottom of it) which I did notice an ant or two wandering around a few times. I know that may be gross to some people, and if it had been cockroaches or slugs or something I would probably have been bothered, but one or two ants were not a problem to me.

Our room was cleaned and tidied every day, the towels were fresh and clean, as did the bedding and there was a safe in the room if you wanted one.

Being two girls on our own in Barcelona, I must say I think our minds were definitely put to rest staying at this hotel, as we had three keys - one for the main doors, one for a door to the first floor, and another for our room - i think its safe to say we felt very secure! Some of the streets around the hotel are a little scary at night (very small, dark and quiet almost like alleyways) and for a city well-known for mugging it was great that there was more of a main road nearby that we ended up using in the evenings to avoid the "scary alleys route" (which we never experienced anything bad happen in, we just felt a bit vulnerable in!)

The hotel is right in the centre of Barcelona - 5 mins from La Ramblas, 10 mins from the beach, literally next door to the Cathedral - so it really is a worthwhile place to stay if your not fussy about star ratings or snobby! (I also did not get disturbed by noise at night by the way). We looked at 4-star hotels that cost about the same as this one but they were 45 mins away from the city centre - despite the fact this is only a 1-star (but a surprisingly nice one at that), for a sightseeing trip of 3 days, spending little time in your room and just needing a safe, secure, perfectly adequate and central place to stay while your there - this is the perfect place to choose.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank SARAH R
jessica g, Manager at Hotel Jaume I, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Thank you for taking a time to leave a review. I am glad you found our location a safe and convenient place for single female travelers. We do our best to make sure our rooms are tidy and safe for all travelers.
Hope to have you back soon!
AAE Rey Don Jaime

Reviewed June 19, 2012

This hotel is ideal for those who do not want to spend too much time in the room. The bed is small and there is no air conditioning in the room and the decor is very stark and sad. Many noises coming from the street. Breakfast is not provided. However, the rooms are clean and the price is great compared to the position very close to Metro station and La Rambla.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Polpyt
Reviewed June 1, 2012

We really enjoyed staying here because of the location and the nice room that we had.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Mpowel14
Reviewed March 20, 2012

A good, simple place; great location. Loud street noise. Shower had hot H2O. In the Gothic Quarter, close to many attractions. While I was out, my things were safe & secure in the room. Friendly staff speaks English wrll enough.

Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank roanpatu
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Stayed here in 2007 for 3 nights. I had a room with a view on ........ a shaft. Appeared I was overbooked and this was the last room they could supply us. But hey it's in the Gothic Area and next to the Ramblas. If you have to visit Barcelona in 3 days, you don't need to spend time in the room but on the street. Should I stay here again? I don't think so......

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. I am sorry your experience was not pleasant. 90% of our rooms are exterior facing with a window and small balcony. In the future, please request an exterior facing room and we will try our best to help match you needs.
Kind Regards,