“Location location location”

Ranked #48 of 308 Barcelona B&B and Inns
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Location location location”
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Would have been excellent, but unfortunately our room had NO view :(

That was the only con

Pros
Beautiful building fascinating architecture
LOCATION, can walk most places
Short walk from Aerobus
Clean
Spacious room
Hot water
Easy access
Easy to find
Friendly staff

NOT LUXURIOUS, but who needs that!

Will definitely stay here when in Barcelona again

Room Tip: Room 16 has no view
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dorianne G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Calgary
Reviewed May 8, 2014

You could pay 3 or 4 times as much and you still wouldn't find a place that is quieter, cleaner or more convenient than the Hostal Oliva. Located on the best stretch of the Passeig de Gracia, it is within easy walking distance of many of the must-see sights and is well served by a number of Metro stations and bus routes if you want to go further afield. Barcelona is not a cheap city in which to stay but the Hostal Oliva provides good clean accomodation for the budget conscious traveller. Exceptional value for money. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank 153B
arlington, va
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Stayed for 4 nights in a single room recently. Great value for a solo traveler in a very good location, central to everything. Proprietor indulged me by speaking Spanish even though her English was probably better than my Spanish. :)

The only very minor complaint I have is that if guests are being loud in the room next to you and it's late, you hear them and it becomes hard to sleep (even with earplugs). Loud Americans, ugh. (I can say that because I am one myself, just not at 2 in the morning.) But I'd absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: I was in Room A, the single at the end of the hall nearest the lobby. It faced the courtyard, so pro...
Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank drabwastrel
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed April 29, 2014

The Hostal Oliva has a great location next to the subway, shops, restaurants and various tourist attractions. The place is simple but very well maintained. The bathroom is totally refurbished. The building is beautiful. The attendance is great and the owners are very kindly and friendly. Recommend!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank viviane a
Peachland, Canada
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Was not sure what to expect so was very surprised. I walked every where. Room was small but had a nice bathroom. The neighborhood was great. The bus from the airport is only 3 blocks away ad 10 euro return metro nearby as well.

Room Tip: Not too sure
6 Thank Joey4405
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Hostal Oliva is an absolute gem. I booked this hostal based on reviews from Trip Advisor and it was an extremely wise decision. From the moment I stepped off the Aerobus at Placa de Catalunya and realized that I was only a 5 minute walk away, I knew that the location would be superb. When I was buzzed into the hostal and viewed the stunning foyer with the wrought iron elevator, elegant stairway and incredibly high ceilings, it took my breath away and I fell in love with Hostal Oliva. In fact every day that I left and re-entered the hostal I would stand for several minutes and admire the character of the building and the magnificent entrance.

I stayed 7 nights in a single room with shared bath (rm # 5) for only 41 euros a night. The room was tiny but very cozy and bright. It was equipped with a corner sink with a lamp and mirror above it, small desk/chair and lamp, flat screen tv, wardrobe, night table/lamp, 2 separate sockets and a new quiet air conditioner. The frosted window looked out onto a small enclosed balcony with a strange looking plant but it was good for looking out to check the weather. The single bed was very comfortable and extra bedding was provided. The room had everything one needed. Towels were changed daily and the complimentary shampoo, soap, lotion and Kleenex was replenished daily.

I had a choice of two bathrooms. The older bathroom was a few doors down and opposite the reception and was set up with the toilet, shower and bidet in one room and the sink outside in an attached room. The newer bathroom was at the other end and was very modern with a long countertop, bidet and a bathtub with a lovely rain shower head. During the entire week that I stayed here I never saw one person use either bathroom (I suspect most people had rooms with private bathrooms) so I felt like I had my own private bathroom. In fact, I only saw and heard a few people come and go at the hostal during the 7 days. I worried about the noise level as I am a light sleeper and I was relatively close to the reception but it was very quiet and once I crawled into my cozy bed I slept better here than I do most nights at home. This hostal was sparkling clean as the bathrooms, bedrooms and long hallways were cleaned daily.

There is a nice sitting area at one end of the hostal. There was no breakfast provided but there are two vending machines near the reception- one for hot drinks (1 euro espresso was decent and a good kick start to the day) and one with cold drinks and snacks. There are numerous restaurants just outside the hostal although most did not open for breakfast until after 8:00 a.m.

The location of Hostal Oliva was perfect and everything for me was within walking distance. For anyone so inclined, it is a shopper's paradise as Passeig de Gracia is loaded with upscale shops as is nearby Avinguda del Portal de l'Angel. Besides the central Placa de Catalunya being only 5 minutes away, it is also only a 3-5 minute walk to the Metro and Renfe station, 5 minute walk to Gaudi's Casa Batllo and about a 10 minute walk to his La Pedrera. In fact, I found everything so close that after the week I still had 4 trips left on the t10 ticket I purchased on day one.( It was a quick and efficient ride back to the airport via the train). I walked all over, up to Gracia, down Las Ramblas to the waterfront, around Barri Gotic, over to El Born and the pretty Parc de la Ciutadella day and night and felt safe at all times. It was a treat returning to the hostal after a full day of sightseeing as it felt like a home away from home.

Claustre, the proprietor spoke very little English and I speak even less Spanish (and no Catalan) but between gestures, a phrase book and common words, it was never an issue. Claustre lives on the same floor and was always available. She was very friendly and pleasant, always asking me if everything was okay and if I was happy with the room. There is a housekeeper who speaks English. Be prepared to leave your room key at the reception when leaving. It sounds unsafe to leave your key with the room number displayed on an unattended desk early in the morning but after the first day I felt so at ease that I never thought about it again. You have to be buzzed to be let in but Claustre always responded promptly.

I am so glad that I chose Hostal Oliva for my 7 night stay in Barcelona and I highly recommend this hostal. Its especially hard to find good, affordable accommodation for a solo traveller and this was an amazing find. I have spread the good word among many friends and acquaintances. I hope to return to beautiful Barcelona one day and will definitely stay at Hostal Oliva again.

9 Thank gniteIrene
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I’m currently living in Bangkok for work reasons, but I spent a week in Barcelona where I have many friends, since I lived there for 3 years. I know pretty well the city, so I was looking for a nice place to rest, well connected and interesting price. I completely found that place: Hostal Oliva. It was like getting back home. The staff is very attentive and helpful.
I was in a single room with private bathroom. I just paid 51€ per night, not a high price in the center of Barcelona. Besides the superb location, the amenities, decoration and almost everything seems a bargain to me.
The entire building is so beautiful. The lordly entrance with a wood lift, give a charm hard to find anywhere else when you travel in such a globalized world.
Undoubtedly, this is a safe bet if you want to know to discover the city, even if it’s your first time of you repeat Barcelona!

Room Tip: Just perfect.
2 Thank Thecatalanboss
Hostal Oliva B, Gerente at Hostal Oliva, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Thank you so much for your words.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay in Hostal Oliva. We had the opportunity to make your visit to Barcelona an unique experience, and this is our main goal.
We will keep working to keep this atmosphere alive, so you can enjoy it the next time you visit the city. Hope this will be sooner than you expect.

Kind regards,