“Amazing place to stay”

Albergue Pere Tarres
Ranked #138 of 732 Specialty Lodging in Barcelona
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

Stayed in this hostel for the 2nd time. Very nice staff always helpfull with providing tips on places to visit. The breakfast is very good in the morning!! Rooms are clean and beds are pretry cozy considering the good pricing. The only "bad" side is the location wich is a little bit far from the city center, but get a scooter and it will be all good! Also its about 5-7 min walk from subway and 5-7 close to many markets so you can cook your food in the clean kitchen and eat outside on the nice terasse! I highly recommand this hostel!

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank George2703
There are newer reviews for Albergue Pere Tarres

Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival, we had to wait 40 minutes to get our room. When, eventually we reached our room, I felt sick, partly because of what I was seeing and partly because of our quite frankly life threatening lift journey. I would have rather risked it on a gondola with no floor.

I tried to put this behind me and decided to lay my bed. I began, as usual with the pillow first, as I embarked upon this alien mission I noticed something. The pillow case, key word being case, had a hole on both sides and was far too small, I knew not what to do… and yet I battled on, but to my dismay, another obstacle stood tall in my path, the sheets. A simple invention, for the even the simple minded to deduce. However this establishment seemed to struggle with the simple task of covering my mattress. A simple task to say the least.

But no, I refused to give up and ventured to the bathroom. I decided to have a shower, this was a grave mistake. I pushed the button and the onslaught began. A cascade of water fired at me, I had no time to escape, the bullets of water penetrated my body, literally tearing my face off. I stumbled out half the man I went in as, both my dignity and my skin was left in that shower. I reached for he towel, I dabbed my face. It smelt... Strange. I pulled it away and examined, a fine and yet confident brown streak split the sheet in half, to this day, I don't dare to think what that substance was, but part of me knew straight away.

And yet I sill powered through. After a day of sight seeing I returned to what I would be a goods night sleep, oh how I was wrong. Apparently, the Italian marching band were in town and were adamant on making as much noise as they could, I went out to confront them and they reluctantly retreated to their room and so I returned to mine, I walked back into my room, tuned the lights off and made my way to the bed, however the bed reached me first, it fell towards and I felt it's full force thrashing down on my head. Blood gushed everywhere and I rushed down stairs. Thankfully, the expert medical staff at the desk knew the exact remedy... A plaster, thank god I was in the presence of these life savers or else I feel I may not have made it.

The next morning, I ventured to breakfast. After waiting 30 minutes we we're let in and the stay if cold 'meats' and stale muffins awaited, we were truly spoiled for choice. I didn't think they could beat breakfast but I was wrong, dinner awaited.

At 7:45 (45 minutes later than schedule) we we're let in, laid out before us was yet more questionable meat, soggy chips and watery ketchup, we were truly spoilt for choice.

Please, I urge you, avoid this hostel at all costs. If you enjoy a healthy stomach and a goods night sleep, go else were, for your sake, spare yourself the trauma. I hope no one has to go through what I went through.

• Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank Ahusudhdnd
Reviewed March 2, 2014

As our school brought over 40 people to visit Barcelona last year, it was expected that the hostel we were going to stay in would be unsatisfactory at best. I could have never anticipated how bad the place would be.
When we arrived, the hostel was clearly located in a dump, the only positive thin I can think about the location was that there was a shopping centre with a Burger King nearby, which we were forced to sneak into every night to avoid the poison we were served every dinner.
The place claimed to have WiFi, though when I tried to view an episode of Breaking Bad on my iPad, I had no choice but to watch it in 140p to stop buffering occurring every few seconds, though by the time I reached the opening titles, it had already been about the time a feature length episode would take.
Seven of us stayed in a room made for eight people, when we entered this room we realised that its most recent occupants left all of their rubbish on the floor, the worst of it was at least fifty olives scattered across the floor which we had to flush down the toilet so we could sleep at night with our nostrils intact. Out of the eight lockers in our room, only two of them were unlocked, though there were no keys to lock them with. This resulted in my friend eventually having 70 euros stolen, presumably by the cleaner who only bothered to clean three beds throughout the four nights we stayed there. The beds were extremely uncomfortable, so we decided to stay awake most of the night by wondering the corridors until we got bored and we went to Burger King at 1 in the morning.
Speaking of food, breakfast consisted of bread rolls, that was all we had for breakfast. I'm glad we were always out during lunch hours. Though dinner was worse than we could have possibly imagined, we were all given things that we were told by the staff were chicken nuggets, though after our first bites we say beneath the dry and sour breadcrumbs were onions, carrots and what I still believe to this very day was feces. The remaining nights we went to Burger King, which was certainly the highlight of our stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Robert W
Reviewed December 3, 2013

This is a nice hostel, very clean (I only stayed for 1 night). They have lockers equipped with locks in the rooms. However, there were only 2 (3 if you included the one next to the wash basin in the bathroom) plug points in a room for 6 people, which might be a problem. Wifi is available but only in the lobby and restaurant, not in the rooms. Good location (about 10 minutes walk to the nearest metro station), and as Barcelona has an excellent public transport system, you can also use the buses. Breakfast is included, which is always a plus - and a very nice breakfast at that. The beds are comfortable and the staff was friendly and helpful. My other (and a small one at that) grumble was that although each dorm room has its own private WC, the washbasin was in the room's bathroom which has it's own door - so you need to cross two doors to wash your hands which some might consider rather unhygenic.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 28, 2013

It's a nice hostel, not very far from the center. In case you don't feel like walking to the center, you may take a bus (many options). It is very close to Barcelona's Stadium.
The hospitality is the best and the facilities as well.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Stayed here in November with my college - there were several school groups in the hostel all from around Europe. The room I was in held 10 people quite easily, but with 10 teenagers it gets messy really easily - they don't clean during your stay so on our last morning we cleared up 3 bin bags full of rubbish!

The staff were really friendly and happy to have a conversation with you in Spanish, as that is what we were in Spain to do. Across the road from the hostel there is the L'Illa shopping centre, where there are a number of restaurants and an Eroski supermarket in the basement - perfect for stocking up on Red Bull when your roommates want to do an all-nighter.

There were two problems though... one minor and the other major. The wifi in the hostel doesn't reach the rooms, if it comes up on your device it won't connect, so you have to go and sit in the lobby to use it. The second problem was the state of the bunk beds. They're metal (no problem) but they haven't been cared for properly and so they are in a state of disrepair. I was worried every that the upper bunk would collapse every time the person in the upper bunk moved around (like in the movie Stepbrothers). The mattresses and pillows were wafer-thin too, so I got a bad sleep and was running on coffee and Red Bull most of the week...

It's good, but not great.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Great rooms, with bunk beds in a dormitory and a common area where there are several pc to surf the internet. Clean rooms with shower and toilet, and lockers. The location is convenient, just a five minute walk from the metro station and close to the university district, where there is a lot of nightlife, with bars and nightclubs. The breakfast is very good, continental self-service. It has a luggage storage service free of charge. Good price/quality ratio.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends