“Do not stay there! Terribly boring hostel and poor conditions!”

Albergue Pere Tarres
Ranked #179 of 739 Specialty Lodging in Barcelona
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Well, first of all, its uphill and far from the Sant Station. If you have a bag to carry, you will be exhausted until u find the hostel from the station. Secondly, the staff is unfriendly, and its not like a hostel where u can meet travellers but more like a boarding house.When i took shower there was no hot water, so i had to use the cold water. It was such a bad experience to stay there, and i was terribly bored.
There is no social interaction like trips, or suggested site visits. i would never ever stay there and never recommend to anybody.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank alicia_nyc

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Pere Torres is clean and located fairly close to the subway in a nice part of town. It is definitely NOT designed as a hostel however. The common room is much like a school cafeteria and most people sit alone with their computers, or come in large groups. I met someone who woke up to a 12 year old boy staring at her in her dorm room, and I personally experienced the patio with at least 25 12 year old girls on a school trip. No social activities are planned and staff seemed to know little about available activities and services in Barcelona. If you're looking for a fun hostel atmosphere, this is definitely not the place for you. if you just want a clean place to spend the night, this Albergue is fine.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Celeste598
Reviewed July 16, 2010

Rooms are pretty clean, but this is actually the only positive thing about this hostel. One would expect a pretty good hostel since it's quite expensive compared to other hostels in Barcelona, but unfortunately, the opposite is true.

I went there with a friend, and after two nights without much sleep due to noisy roommates we decided to look for a hotel and get some better rest. I went to the staff and explained our situation, only to hear in quite a rude way that "they never refund any money" (I paid 5 nights in advance and did not tell me this when I payed - it was only written on a small note at the desk). I explained we really wanted some good rest, but that didn't bother her in any way. It's just their rule not to refund and show any kind of flexibility, even when the hostel was entirely booked and they would have easily filled up our beds with other guests (high season).

Since they weren't prepared to refund any money we just stayed there for the rest of our reservation. On the morning we were supposed to check out, we decided to stay for another day in Barcelona and book a private double room at the hostel for 42 euros per person (!). This was all okay, I paid for the room with my bank card and got a receipt of the payment. I then asked if it was possible to pick up the key late that night since we were planning to go out - she assured me this would be no problem. So guess what? That night we arrived at about 1:30am and we asked the night guard (no one else of the staff was left) for the key, and he didn't know anything about our reservation! He had no record of our extension, and wasn't going to give us a place to sleep. He just said our reservation already ended and that we were wrong (apparently, our extension wasn't administered anywhere) and IT WAS NOT HIS PROBLEM (?! what the *** - I have never been treated so rude anywhere). After arguing for about 45 minutes in Spanish (to make matters even worse, he didn't speak any English - I was so lucky my travelmate speaks Spanish pretty well), several phone calls and showing my payment receipt he finally opened a room for us so we could sleep.

That room was nothing what I expected for 42 euros per person: it had a bunk bed instead of a double bed and the bed creaked extremely badly, the bathroom stunk, the airco didn't function and it was noisy. For half the money, I would have been happy with it but for the same price you can book a pretty neat hotel instead of this horrible place.

Further remarks:
* the luggage rooms has only very small lockers, which were all full when we were there. You can't store your backpack in a locker. Additionaly, I didn't even see a camera in there so it's quite easy to steal stuff without being cought. Of course, the door wasn't locked
* the hostel is further out of center than you'd expect
* breakfast is included (until 10am), but isn't worth any price difference
* beds were too short for me, I'm about 1.80m
* bed sheets didn't fit (?!)
* not so great neighborhood
* staff does not give anything about you
* I'd rather sleep on the pavement than going here again

So um, I would say: not recommended. Last year I stayed in Hotel Ronda Lesseps which is about the same price for a double room and is quite good. If you want to sleep in a shared room: save yourself money and troubles and go look somewhere else, for instance somewhat closer to the heart of the city.
This place is totally unfriendly and unhelpful, and way overpriced.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank wilkoe
Reviewed April 15, 2009

My friends and I booked a stay here based on good recommendations from hostel websites, but were disappointed when we arrived. After going through the lengthy check-in progress we were given the key to the room, but when we went in it only had four empty beds for the five of us. We went back to reception, but were told we must have made a mistake. So we went back to the room and checked with the other people staying in there and there were in fact too few beds for us.

By this time we were getting tired and frustrated, so we decided to cancel the reservation and just get a hotel room instead. The policy listed on their website said that we would lose 10% of our payment by canceling at the last minute, but that we would get everything else back. When we went to reception to cancel we were again told we were wrong and that we wouldn't get any of our money back.

The room itself was hot and cramped, with eight people sharing a room and bathroom. The whole building had a very college dorm feeling to it, and lacked in comfort and hospitality. It's also near the end of the metro line and not very close to the main attractions. Overall a bad experience.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank LSETerp
Reviewed February 26, 2007

stayed here on a college trip in march 07. as soon as we pulled up outside, most of us seemed a bit disappointed.
the outside decor was planks of wood, which covered the windows- we were worried in case there was a fire and we would be trapped inside!
the rooms were okay, slightly cramped. there were three bunk beds, a set of lockers, desk, shower room and seperate toilet. they were kept generally clean, though we noticed the shower was not cleaned every days, and with 6 of us using it, it got prettty nasty. so we asked reception to clean it every day, which they refused to do. we ended up buying some cleaning supplies of our own and doing it ourselves. there was also alor of graffiti on the bunk beds.
the food- dont even get me started! i must have put on weight that week, due to eating too much junk food from take aways! there was no way i was eating what the hotel called 'food.' it was like al military operation- you grab a tray, queue up and the dinner lady slaps a bit on your plate. breakfast was a croissant, a cake and a few other things. dinner changed every night and there was usually only one or two choices of dish. most of it was paella type things. if you dont mind trying new things, then you would probably be alright! the dinner ladies were young girls and they we so moody. they shouted at you if you tried to take another croissant for breakfast.
the location wasnt too bad. on a main road, opposite a shopping mall. so it was easy for us to go to the shops. the metro station was only around a 10-15 minute walk away as well.
ok, so for what we payed the hostel was ok, but standards could definately be higher. would probably suit young people on a budget.

Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank Jujubee88x
Reviewed August 25, 2006

I emailed before booking and asked if they had a single room available and they replied and said yes and told me to book through the website which I duly did.

On arrival I had no singe room but was sharing which I did not want. If they had no single rooms I would have stayed elsewhere and the hotel staff were no help. I had no intention of staying in a room with dope smoking travellers who were as high as kites so I left the room and managed to sleep on the floor of other people in my party.

Breakfast - poor, no refills of coffee. Staff - 3/10.

Security - poor. An American couple had their travel bag - passports etc stolen from reception. Generally I ain't in rush to go back to Barcelona.

• Stayed: June 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank jimcumming
Reviewed June 11, 2006

We stayed at Alberg Pere Tarrés in June 2006 for one night. The Hostel is outside of the center of the city. The only positive is that it is clean. Otherwise, they told us that breakfast would end at 10 PM when we arrived at midnight. When we went downstairs at 9:30 the next morning, the kitchen staff rudely told us that breakdfast closed at 9:30. They wouldn't even give us a croissant to take away, glaring at us. The hostel's lock out during the day is way too long. Spain has a late nightlife and this hostel should revise it's breakfast hours and lock out times. I wouldn't ever stay at this hostel again.

Stayed: June 2006