“Not for lie ins”
Review of ILUNION Almirante

ILUNION Almirante
Ranked #451 of 516 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed May 26, 2013

If you like a lie in then this hotel is not for you. Every morning including Sunday the hotel wakes up at 7am and likes to let you know about it. It is not a new building so has been converted and therefore there are no doors to block off noise coming up the main staircase from every other floor including the restaurant. The cleaners make no effort to be quiet and even with a do not disturb sign on the door they will quite happily have a loud conversation outside your door at 8am. The walls and floors are thin so you can hear everything going on upstairs and next door to you.

The rooms are fine but slightly basic. You only get one thin pillow so if you want to sit up in bed its uncomfortable. We were in a room at the back of the hotel which was a shame as there were no windows except for a tiny one in the corner that looked out into the windows of the building next door making the room very dark and cave like. The bathroom is fine.
The TV has CNN and BBC news so caters for English speakers as well as having a wealth of Spanish and Catalan channels.

Also, they do not have an iron on site to borrow. You have to give your ironing to the cleaner who will return it next day and charge you for it.

The best thing about this hotel is its location. It is parallel to Las Ramblas and about 2 minutes from the nearest Metro station. It is easy walking distance to Placa de Catalunya and Passeig de Gracia.

All in all, for location it's perfect but if you like peace, quiet and sleep then it's not for you.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank ana2pink

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights - we got a lastminute deal through Lastminute secret hotels. After reading the reviews on here our expectations were quite low.

Positives
great location - you can walk to all the central places
tourist bus stop is very close.
clean
Nice shower

Negatives
If you get a standard room they are TINY, you have to negotiate the door, window and toilet to get around the bathrom.
One person on reception was very slow and unhelpful althought the woman there the next day was the complete opposite and very helpful.
The rooms do not look like they do on the website.

We didn't eat here at all so can't comment on the food.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank annalou1224
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I was already very happy to find this hotel in the centre of Barcelona. I could immediately and directly book a adapted room online, no need to call and ask if it was really accessible, the pics and comments made it clear. And also the website of Confortel made it clear they take accessibility and people with a disability very serious. The room was very spacious, we had two big beds next to each other, (what i need with my extra floatable mattress i bring) in the closet for your clothes there were adapted 'hangers' (with a stick attached to it) so you could take them while sitting low in your chair. Nice detail:)

In the bathroom toilet and shower with very stable chair from Etac were good, although i had to ask my friend to take the shower from the wall, that was too high.

The sink was supposed to be adapted: it could move up and down. But that was not a good system (anymore, it was also rusty) because when i wanted to put it low, my knees hit a rail below the sink. I would advise to replace the sink with an accessible one with long reachable parts to put the water on and off and to reach the stream of water itself and then put the sink on a kind of average height.

The wheelchair lift to the 4th floor was good in itself, but there was not much turning (manoeuvring) place in front of it.

The staff was really helpful. I thought metros were not accessible, but the woman who helped us gave us good advice for taking a direct metro to Camp Nou where we attended a match:). The other day she advised us a direct bus to go to Sagrada Familia. 100% of the buses are accessible, also the night bus from the airport in middle of night and the aerobus when we went back.

The place is close to Plaza Catalunya and the old city with small roads but also not far from the Eixample quarter: we walked home nicely from Sagrada Familia to the hotel.

And the people in buses, metro etc: so nice and polite! Unlike Amsterdam:(. I was already two weeks in Barcelona in 1996 when i was less disabled, but now the city is even better accessible, apart from being so nice itself. Food, waterfront, old buildings and art, art, art...Beauty! So inspiring. and i love the catalan language:) I come back again!

Room Tip: Ik heb geen restaurant of zwembad gezien maar ik kan niet invullen: n.v.t. Dus nu staat er gemiddeld...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barbara H
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Just came back from Spain and stayed 3 nights at the Almirante in Barcelona. I travelled with my brother. Really we couldn't have asked for more... Mind you I'm in a wheelchair and so we had an adapted room. It was just the right size, well adapted and clean. The staff was really helpful and the location is amazing. And about having to wear earplugs at night? So what... Anyone staying in ANY country DOWNTOWN of a big city should wear earplugs! Any well-travelled person knows that! I seriously don't have anything bad to say about the place... Neither did my brother.

So many restaurants are close by, we didn't eat at the one in the hotel though so I can't comment there.
I'd recommend it to anyone heading for Barcelona. Anyone in a wheelchair anyways... ;-)

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We arrived at the Confortel Almirante with no preconceived idea. We were originally booked at another hotel, but were informed at check in that there wasn't a room for us, so they 'upgraded' us to another hotel on the other side of town. The hotel covered the extra cab fares and waivered any additional costs. It felt like we were being scammed, so I braced myself for the worst. The cab driver reassured us we were going to a better hotel in a much better location and so I figured he was in on the scam.
We entered the foyer of the hotel with much trepidation and were both relieved and mildly surprised upon entering our room. We were given a modern, clean room with windows facing onto the busy road below. Sure it was compact, but the bathroom was spacious and there was plenty of storage cupboards. And the real bonus is the location: across the road from the Gothic Quarter (a photographer's paradise), strolling distance to the marina & La Ramblas and a fantastic market a block away. So maybe it wasn't a scam after all!
We didn't bother having breakfast at the hotel, opting instead to eat with the locals at the market around the corner. I wandered over to the Gothic Quarter early one morning (6am) to take photos before it filled with tourists. I had the whole area to myself and enjoyed watching the quarter come to life. Our 3 night stay was very comfortable and I would definitely stay here again when visiting this wonderful, vibrant city.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MsLiz64
Reviewed March 12, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed February 23, 2013

The hotel itself is not wonderful. It is an old renovated hotel with nothing special but fine. Beds are comfortable and everything is clean, which it is really important.
After reading the reviews I was a little bit concerned but honestly, the hotel is just fine. Maybe you expect more from a 4 star hotel but nowadays sometimes it is better a 2 or 3 hotel fully new than an old 4 star one, so I dont trust stars too much...
Breakfast was also good enough.
The best of all... Its location! It is 2 minutes away from the cathedral and 15 min walking to the port. Evrything is close and thats a big plus in a city like Barcelona.
I would stay there again if I can find a good offer.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family