“Great Location”
Review of Hotel Gaudi

Hotel Gaudi
Ranked #169 of 517 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Lovely hotel with quick and easy link to the airport and just off the Main Street where all the atmosphere is. Rooms ample sized and clean and the higher floors have superb views from a generous balcony. Quiet at night. Good and varied breakfast. Interesting foyer in Gaudi style. Helpful staff. really enjoyed a 4 night stay there.

Room Tip: Pay a bit extra for the rooms with a balcony. The view across the street is fab.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank chestervillan
Write a ReviewReviews (1,483)

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Not sure about the value since I did not price the hotels in the neighborhood but this hotel provided a comfortable stay. My bedroom was big and comfortable. The bathroom was huge which is a luxury in most places I have stayed around Europe.

The breakfast was simple but since it was included in the price it was well worth it. The dining room is clean and there was plenty of food available.

The lift is cramp but works. Just be ware if you want to load it up with luggage. You may need multiple trips.

I personally found the staff to be friendly. My room was ready quite early. If there is one complaint about the room it would have to be with the stiffness of the beds but it did not disrupt my sleep at all. Maybe my back needed the hard bed.

Be sure to ask the front desk for the wifi password when you check in. There is a computer available near the cafe so if you need to hop online you can do so.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Iris S
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We have stayed at the Gaudi 8 or nine times and visited Barcelona more than 15 times over the last 18 years or so. The Gaudi is excellent value for money. Great location, very good breakfast and such friendly staff. Good aircon, free use of 2 computers. I can't believe the guy who wouldn't pay 2.5 euros a night for the safe (and then lost his wallet; saved a lot of money there then). We always stay about 9 nights so we can be relaxed about getting around all the bars and restaurants that we have got to know and love. Back rooms look out over the local rooftops and are therefore very quiet, front rooms look out onto the Nous de las Ramblas and are now double glazed so are also very quiet. Yes I agree, it would be nice if the safes were electronic so I didn't have to carry a key and no doubt as refurbs are carried out over the years it will happen. Whenever I stay in any large city at home (England) or abroad, I always wear trousers with an inside zip pocket. Cash, safe key and credit card go in there, 20 euros or so in a buttoned back pocket for odd drinks and snacks. My wife doesn't need or bother to carry a handbag. I was brought up in London after the war so I guess I'm a bit more street wise than some. It's a short walk to the bars at Port Vell or Plaza Cataluna and you just have to cross the Ramblas to be in the old Gothic quarter. 59 bus on the Ramblas takes you to the Olympic harbour (more restaurants and bars. Try the Barnabier for excellent excellent and well priced food) and the beaches.

Room Tip: Don't use the fitness centre or pool so can't comment.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank George P
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Great location, half hour from airport 35 euro trip or 15 euros from cruise ships. Rooms are basic but suitable with balcony over St. Some have been renovated and are quite nice. Staff are helpful and obliging. Around the corner from La Rambla and many eating areas as well as great shopping. Hard beds like many hotels nowadays.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Robert J
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights in a family room after our cruise. The staff was helpful and friendly. We enjoyed the bar, food was just OK but service was great and they were happy to recommend places to eat. The room was not fancy but was clean and large. If I were to go back I would ask for a room with a view. Some rooms in this hotel have wonderful views. Location was just off Las Ramblas and walking distance to pretty much anywhere we wanted to go. Just down the street is a little bicycle rental place, the people in there know where to go for great food and fun things to do. I would stay again and have recommended to friends.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor with a view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Mememakesmehappy
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Our stay in Barcelona is going to make me change how I plan future trips. The first question will now be - where can I use my USA credit card? We stayed in the Hotel Gaudi for two nights before our Holland America Mediterranean Cruise from Barcelona to Venice on 7/26/13. Hotel has great location across street from the Palau Guell (if that is what you came to see) and we managed a view of that building's amazing rooftop. We were drawn to that location by it's proximity to the Port and the Ramblas and the wish to avoid Taxi cabs and high Euro fares. That turned out to be a mistake. The Hotel charges extra for most services, phone, room safe etc. and this turned me off. The Hotel has paid underground parking so this may be important to some guests who drive into Barcelona. If I was driving I would have stayed further out by the new Ramblas where there is plenty of free parking and less congestion. If you stay in the newer part of town the tour buses can pick you up right at your hotel, thereby avoiding that lovely afternoon walk through a dense crowd on the old Ramblas in 100 degree heat. In the downtown areas you have to walk 20 minutes to the tour pick up points. Place Catalunya was closest in our case.

While we were able to take the excellent airport bus to Place Catalunya and walk to the Hotel, I would not do that again as it was very hot and crowded on the Ramblas after 10AM. The cabs drive along either side of the Ramblas and all take American credit cards and are not something to worry about. You do not need any Euros in your pocket to get around, just a working credit card. After checking into the Hotel Gaudi, we were able to cool off in the good AC and enjoy the free WiFi in the room.

Walking around the Ramblas our first night was exciting. We attended an excellent Flamenco show for 60 Euros (without food). After the show we walked past our hotel to the bars and taverns a block away and enjoyed a light meal. As the evening wore on the area gets seedy and there are a lot of young hookers on the street "working their way through college". Seems like I saw the same girls in Nice a few years ago........

The next day on the Ramblas early in the morning was wonderful and we enjoyed our stroll back to Catalunya to catch a tour bus to the Familia and Montserrat.

Had I known how well the credit card payment system in the cabs worked in Barcelona it would have saved a lot of aggravation. We probably would have stayed in another hotel that absolutely required a cab ride but was in a cheaper and safer location. I had my wallet stolen on tour in Montserrat and it was difficult to use ATMs after that. This had nothing to do with the Hotel Gaudi. However - had they provided me with a key to the room safe for free ( there was a 2.50 a day charge for the safe ) I would have had that wallet locked away in the safe rather than with me to get stolen. Of course, I could have just left my wallet in the unlocked safe or in a bag but I felt more comfortable carrying it. I would have preferred an electronic safe without a key for me to lose, but this is an older hotel and they still use hard keys. Another strike against the Gaudi.

We learned that attempting to walk to the cruise docks with luggage is stupid and dangerous. Our pier is a good two mile walk through traffic and along roadways. On departure from the Hotel Gaudi we got a cab with a credit card meter right on the corner of the Ramblas and were in the correct Terminal in 5 minutes for an 11 Euro fare for two of us with four bags. The Port Bus would have cost us 8 Euro after we struggled down the Ramblas with our luggage for 20 minutes.

We later spent a lot of effort conserving our Euros for the cab fare to the airport in Venice which was not essential since we were able to exchange our US Dollars for local currency right at the ship's guest service desk a lot cheaper than any ATM! The ship was able to provide us with the 200 Euros we needed to enjoy an evening gondola ride in Venice. I'll put up another post on the gondola experience as it is a bit difficult from the cruise terminal. On our disembark day in Venice we were again able to get a cab right at the ship's Terminal with a credit card meter to the airport - but this time we used up the 57 Euros we hoarded for that purpose.

My final recommendation on the Hotel Gaudi is that it is good value only if you need to be in that area for the Flamenco and cruise terminal. Most rooms do not offer a view of the roof of the Palau Guell. The breakfast was good, but water had to be requested and this was frustrating. There is a free internet room which I was able to use to cancel my credit cards after my wallet was stolen. That was good because the use of the Hotel's phones was expensive.

Overall the Hotel Gaudi is average, food is fresh, AC is good, Wifi is OK, but not fast enough to make a Skype call. Bill payments are an issue as they demand Euros to reserve a bus tour or settle the bill on checkout. I have the same warning about the tour buses at Catalunya - you need to pay in Euros. They expect you to go to the ATMs on the square and draw out a couple of hundred euros to pay them while the street urchins watch you with interest. No wonder my wallet was picked.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gotglassses
Reviewed August 12, 2013

An ideal location to La Ramblas for our 3 nights in Barcelona. On booking several months earlier I had requested a room overlooking Palau Guell for its views but this was ignored by staff when we arrived which was disappointing. The room we had was small and the bed was hard but as we were tired after a 30hr flight we slept anyway. The breakfast was good, evening staff were pleasant, wifi poor.

Room Tip: For views ask for a top floor room overlooking Palau Guell but this maybe ignored!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple