“Character but with a twist!”
Review of Hotel Peninsular

Hotel Peninsular
Ranked #354 of 514 Hotels in Barcelona
North Yorshire
“Character but with a twist!”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Ok so I did a lot of work here on Tripadvisor to find a place within my budget and chose the Peninsular. tI does indeed have position being a couple of mins from the main restaurant/shopping area. Although very tired it was clean and the breakfast although very very basic was slightly better than expected. However there is a very very big BUT coming.
The place has 'character' - it was a convent. So all the rooms on 4 levels face inwards with free standing corridors over looking the central void down to ground level. Almost attractive - here comes the BUT! Want a ggod nights sleep? Well imagine living inside a drum with every sound from every door and every person coming through the hotel being known to you. Add in that ingrediant of persons (unknown) who have consumed lots of wine coming home at say 3am (we got lucky as some one knocked their door down as presumably a key had got forgotten\) and you will get the message. Sleep - who nees that? There is an answer. Ask for one of the large attic rooms at the far back of the hotel and all should be well.

Room Tip: Attic room - at the least ask for a larger room - all the same price
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Richard_uk1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Staffs, England
Reviewed August 29, 2012

3 of us booked a room at this hotel with little expectation and the mixed TA reviews to go on. At the price we paid we hoped for somewhere clean and little else. What we got was so much more. This hotel is so full of character we were glad we hadn't paid more for 3 stars. Location is excellent. Our room had 3 single beds (we half expected 2 singles and a put me up or cot bed), with air conditioning and a bathroom with really good shower. The room was on the first floor and spotlessly clean. Our only issue was we struggled with the door lock and needed help on several occasions. The guy on reception on the second night was not very helpful and quite surly. That's the only reason we've given this 4 stars rather than 5. It was no biggy really and we got in eventually each time and I think it was fixed in our absence some time on the Sunday because we managed better after that.

Other than the above staff member the others couldn't be more helpful. Breakfast was very basic but filled a hole to start the day off. The ladies in the breakfast room are always on the go replenishing the food and clearing tables. Choice was limited at bread or rolls, one cereal, sliced ham and cheese, small cakes and coffees/teas/juice/hot chocolate.

We were very happy with our choice and would recommend to groups of friends who are doing Barcelona on a budget.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank SandCStaffs
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This hotel is very, very basic, quite dated and in need of refurbishment but generally clean - except for the shower curtain which had about 2 inches of brown discoloration (dead skin cells, I believe) along the bottom.

My husband and I wanted a cheap get-a-way which is why we booked this hotel. We booked a double room but upon arrival - after waiting 5 minutes for the receptionist to finish his personal phone conversation and acknowledge us - we were told that no double rooms were available. We asked if the twin beds could be pushed together to make a 'double' room and we were told we'd have to do that ourselves! Apart from this unhelpful employee the rest of the staff were quite pleasant. In the bedroom: the beds are very uncomfortable, feels like you're sleeping on the floor and the air con blew out warm air; although we spent most of our time out we dreaded going back to the hotel.

Breakfast is something to fill the gap until you can go out to get something nicer: bread, cheese slices and ham, not very tasty muffins, cereal, tea, coffee and juice.

Overall, the location is perfect but I would not stay at this hotel again, I'd rather pay a bit extra for a bit more comfort.

• Stayed August 2012

Travelers are raving about these Barcelona hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2012

The room and bathroom were basic but very clean, with plenty of space and comfortable beds. We found the hotel quiet, although our room was not off the atrium but off a corridor at the rear of the building, which may have been why. The window over-looked the rear of residential apartments (a very Spanish design) so it didn’t let in lots of light, but we didn’t find this a problem because we were out most of every day anyway.

I chose this hotel because it looked like it had so much more character than the others, and it was just what I’d hoped. Although we didn’t use it (as we were out and about all the time) the atrium is a lovely place to relax.

Breakfast was very basic: bread, 1 sort of cheese and 1 sort of ham, plus cereal, cake and jams, juice and coffee. It was fine but did get a bit boring after a couple of days. As it’s a 1 star hotel there’s no bar in the hotel but Barcelona is full of bars, many authentically Spanish which have so much more atmosphere than a hotel bar!

The location is excellent as it’s just off La Rambla; 2 minutes from the metro (Lyceu), walking distance from everything in old Barcelona.

The staff was helpful and overall this hotel was exactly what we wanted for a city break. We would definitely go back!

Room Tip: Rooms on the rear corridor (not on the atrium) are very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SetaJane
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed August 9, 2012

The Hotel Peninsular is a definite yes from me. Very very basic - I believe it used to be a convent - its interior atrium is very unusual. The room was basic, clean, dark and cool - temperature wise. In the heart of the city, moments from La Rambla, it suits the person who is not fussy about flat screen TVs, spas and fluffy dressing gowns. Really good value for the location and time of year and I will definitely use it again

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank hallspic
London
Reviewed July 29, 2012

This hotel is lovely. Its in the heart of La Ramba. The hotel ingreat for young people, travellers and parents with teenagers. I wouldn't advise this hotel if you have young kids. The hotel staff are great and very friendly. They help you with everything and can help you book tours and taxi's. We didn't get up in time for the breakfast but everyone said it was good and can help yourself to as much as you like. Our room was a great size. Tall walls and air con. The bathroom was always clean and tidy and was a large size for a hotel bathroom. The cleaner came in everyday. She didn't speak much English, but she was very good. The front desk staff are lovely and very helpful, with a funny Spanish man that helped us with our Spanish by only speaking Spanish to us! but he was a great help and told us the best places to visit and eat at! There is a court garden in the middle of the hotel. Its a lovely area with plants hanging from the ceiling and walls. Its the only place you can get the hotel WiFi but there's loads of sitting and though its always got someone sitting there, its very quiet and peaceful. There are lots of young people at this hotel so if you want a quiet hotel its not the hotel for you. I was here for 4nights, I came back a couple of days ago, and I would go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise. And rooms at the back of the hotel are quieter.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Robyn-88
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I stayed there for 4 nights in mid-June. The hotel is just as it appears in pictures on its website, charming in its own way and it feels safe. Desk staff went out of their way to be helpful: recommending good restaurants, giving directions and advice about protecting belongings, making a call to the U.S., and printing a boarding pass.

The room was spartan but comfortable and clean. Unfortunately, the switch on the air-conditioner was broken; after a few sweltering hours, they gave me a remote that turned it on but the temperature adjustment was set too low and could not be changed; cheerful cotton blankets and a slightly open window solved that problem. The room was quiet enough except for one night when a dog barked around midnight for about 20 minutes and someone took a long shower around 2 a.m. I didn't hear anything else from adjacent rooms or the atrium. Nothing like two Tylenol P.M. for a good night's rest.

Around 8:30 a.m. I heard lovely singing each day through the open window, perhaps from a nearby church, and songbirds and pigeons or doves. I was on the top floor and my window looked across a narrow lane at apartments with small balconies. The hotel is only a block from Las Ramblas, the main walking area for tourists in the old town area, and across the narrow street from the Gran Teatre del Liceu. Within 10-30 minutes, I could walk to most museums. The price of 55 euros per night included breakfast with espresso, orange juice and bread you can toast, lunchmeat and cheese, and cereal. A small lobby safe was 2 euros per night. They accept credit cards. A refrigerator, free use of an old computer, free wifi and a reasonably priced Coke machine are available in the lobby.

By saving on the hotel, I had enough money for the tour bus, good restaurants and live music. I was out of the hotel about 14 hours a day. Although I bought the ten-trip Metro/bus ticket, I didn't take it again. I highly recommend the one- or two-day pass for the hop-on/hop-off tour bus (ride on the top deck) instead, which goes to all the main areas you'd want to visit. I also bought the seven-museum pass, but am not sure it is worth the value because I'd gone to several museums not included and ran out of time for some of those on the pass. If you buy it, you may want to go to those museums first and then double-back to the museums not included. Also, on certain days, admission is free so if you can time your trip conveniently, that will save you 30 euros or more.

I used the Rick Steves and National Geographic guidebooks. I'd brought a map, but it's unnecessary because the hotel gives you a good one. At the tourist information office in Plaça de Catalunya, I bought a guidebook to Modernisme architecture that included discount coupons to enter some of the buildings. By the third day, I was ready to enjoy the many gardens in outlying areas accessible via tour bus including Parc Güell, where I spent an afternoon climbing, walking, talking with people, listening to a very good guitarist/singer, admiring the architecture, writing, drawing and photographing.

As a woman alone, I was hesitant about walking at night, but I wore a moneybelt, had lived in New York City for five years and learned how to look alert, appear confident and avoid crowds. I walked crisply, near other tourists or close to a wall, clutching my shoulder bag or backpack in front. I also have a good sense of navigation. If I felt uncomfortable on a street, I found another. I took the Metro to Sagrada Familia, the towering church designed by Gaudi, and felt targeted by a team of women who appeared to be pickpockets; by making eye contact I let them know I was watching them while staying away from them or others they seemed to know, judging by the looks they exchanged. Other than that, I had no problems and fell in love with the friendly people of Barcelona, as well as the fantastic food and delightful concerts, both formal and impromptu--Spanish guitar, symphony and soloists, street party salsa, jazz. I would like to live there for awhile.

The main recommendation I would make to the hotel is to place cards on some of the breakfast tables indicating that they are for sharing from 8 to 10 a.m., which would facilitate chatting with other guests who felt the same. Although most people seemed friendly, I don't think any of us felt OK about sitting down in an empty seat at someone's table for four without an invitation, and people may have been reluctant to invite someone because of a language barrier, not knowing if they wanted to dine alone or only with their companions. Guests spoke many languages: I recognized Russian, English, Spanish, Italian, German, Dutch and French. It would have been a joy to have met more of them.

Room Tip: Top floor is best. The varying levels of the lobby floor made access difficult for another guest who...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo