“Excellent Boutique Euopean Hotel”

Hotel Continental Barcelona
Ranked #177 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed March 12, 2010

This hotel is funky and fun. Excellent location in walking distance of many restaurants and shopes. Having the 24 hour snack bar was great for a late night glass of wine of a coffee. We had a room with a balconey on the street and were not bothered by noise. If street noise is a problem. ask for a room off the street. Internet in t he lobby. Staff was always available and very helpful with all requests. Great location and value. If you are looking for a unique hotel with European flavor, this is the place for you. If you are looking for a 5 star hotel, go to the Ritz Carlton. I have recommended this to two friends.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jbge10
There are newer reviews for Hotel Continental Barcelona

Reviewed February 24, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Continental Barcelona in June 09 for our honeymoon. We were doing a cruise that started in Barcelona so we got to the city a day early to check it out. We had a fantastic time and I would highly recommend traveling to Barcelona. This hotel was perfect for us. Location and price were our two main criteria with a big emphasis on location. The hotel is located right at the top of Las Ramblas, which is the main pedestrian street with all the action. Pay up the extra $10-$20 for a room with a view of Las Ramblas, it's well worth it as long as you don't mind the noise from the hustle and bustle. I read a few other reviews that said the noise was a problem, but it didn't bother us and we're pretty light sleepers. The hotel is located right by a metro stop making it extremely convienent when traveling from the airport. We never took a taxi and used the very modern metro system the whole time. The top of Las Ramblas where the hotel is located as opposed to the other end by the sea is also a lot safer a night.

The rooms themselves were not anything special. Do not stay here if you are looking for a 5 star hotel with a spa. The mattresses were firm, but more comfortable than the hotel we stayed at in Paris. The bathroom was actually pretty spacious compared to other hotel bathrooms in Europe. You will get a kick out of the light switches (by the way, you have to put your key into a place with the light switches in order for the electricity to work, also you have to have the balcony window closed if you want the A/C to work, very much about energy conservation). This is definitely a small traditional hotel you would expect to find in Europe, however it had the feel of a B&B with the friendly staff and the 24 hour food and drink buffet. The wine was just a house wine but the beer was pretty good. The hotel has free internet access which is a rarity in Europe. The manager at the front desk was British so it helped we could speak to him in English. We also had a situation where we had to check out in the morning but our cruise didn't leave until that evening. We were able to store our luggage in a storage room at the hotel so that we could explore the city a little more. As long as you're not looking for luxuory, I highly recommend this hotel. It served as a perfect homebase to see Barcelona.

A couple tips about the city: If you like trying new foods, you should fnd a restaurant/bar that serves pinxtos. They usually consist of a small piece of bread with some sort of meat or fish on top of it along with a cheese, sauce, or something else with a toothpick holding them together. The fun part is that there are plates filled with different types of pinxtos all along the bar and you just grab a plate and help yourself. You pay based on how many toothpicks you have left over. They were relativily cheap at a euro and change so we were able to try a lot of different foods at one time without breaking the pocket book. I would say rioja is the wine of choice there, and the glasse I had were very good and affordable (2-3 euros for a glass).

Lastly, in case you are heading on a cruise: A taxi can take you right to your cruise ship, however taxi's are definitely your most expensive option. You can take the metro from the hotel down to the mouth of the port at the bottom of Las Ramblas (or you could walk it, probably 3/4 of a mile), and then take the "blue" bus to the actual cruise ships. There is no sign for the blue bus or labeling of the bus itself, but it is the color blue so that's how you know which one you want. There will also be a relatively long line of people with luggage waiting for it. The bustop is just NE of the big Columbus statue.

Have a great time on your trip, enjoy the city, there's plenty to see in way of art, cathedrals, and culture. The food was very good there, however there's probably less English spoken in Barcelona than other European cities. Brush up on your Spanish, but be aware that they actually speak Catalunyan there (I would say it's a Spanish-French hybrid).

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank desmetlax
Reviewed January 28, 2010

Reasonably priced. Interesting decor. Desk clerks speak English. 24 hr snack buffet and breakfast buffet. Convenient location at the top of Las Ramblas very near trains and buses. Short walk to the sea.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank starcitydee
Reviewed December 21, 2009

I like this hotel. I stayed here two nights after a cruise. The location is perfect - right on the Ramblas and an easy walk from where the airport bus drops you off in the Plaza. The free beer/wine/coffee machine and food is a great bonus especially when you arrive after a long journey. There are two free internet computers (one by reception and the other on the second floor).
Peter, the receptionist is fantastic.
This hotel is owned by the same people as the Continental Palacete and there are a lot of similarities between these hotels. Of the two, I actually prefer this one. It is a bit cheaper, is right on the Ramblas, has draft beer (rather than cans) and has an ice cream machine! The hotel shares an entrance with two other hotels and there is a common elevator that often seems to break down. There are 57 steps to climb if it does -and it did!
For E77 per night, it is excellent value and of the the 5 different hotels I have stayed at in Barcelona, this is the one that I will certainly try to come to next time. My room was at the back of the hotel where it was very quiet. You can pay extra to get a room overlooking the Ramblas and that would be fun but could be a bit noisier.
andrew

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
4  Thank tocanada2
Reviewed November 29, 2009

Great location- funky hotel, but met many people in the lounging area-- the free wine helped!. Computer available in lobby for all guests.
Did not use as our "main restaurant" but breakfast was more than adequate and does save on the money.. Get a balcony room, overlooking Las Ramblas. We would certainly stay there again. Note: if you are looking for amenities, such as pool- spa-- etc... this is not the place for you.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank classof66
Reviewed November 11, 2009

A pleasant hotel, well located in one of the most important Barcelona "Rambla's", and near Plaza Cataluña.

Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CarlosMSequeira
Reviewed November 7, 2009

I was in this hotel in mid October, the hotel room seemed clean but first morning got out of bed an saw several blood streaks across sheets. Thought maybe I had a scratch that bled and went out for the day. That night looked at the sheets and they had been changed looked them over carefully and no blood. Next morning woke up with a couple of bites on my arm and streaks of blood in about 6-8 places on the sheets, a couple of little black bugs on the sheets . It was very crowded in the lobby area so we felt funny saying anything and left.

We got on our cruise and I was sceeved out so we had all the clothes that were out in the hotel room washed on the ship (73$). We thought that was the end...boy were we wrong

A couple of mornings later woke up at 3am itching like crazy, the two bites were now bumps all up and down my arms and VERY itchy. In the morning there were more. It looked like I had chicken pox (had them as a child). We were in Venice and went and got creams and Benadryl but didn't help much, it was spreading rapidly . Bought different antihistamine creams and cortisone cream in Dubrovnik, now spent about $50 on meds. We saw no evidence of any bugs or blood on the cruise ship and hubby was't effected. Well the last 6 days of my cruise were not fun with the itching and rash but pills and liberal application of the cortisone gave me bits of relief

When I returned home I went to the doctor who said yes, it was a bed bug bite and the subsequent rash was from it. UGH!! Seems the saliva of the bed bug causes an allergic reaction and causes the rash which spreads from scratching. I emailed the hotel and they were rude and dismissive, I am a travel agent and will never put anyone in here again (used them quite frequently before this), not because of the bugs, (5 stars have had them) but because of their nasty attitude when I notified them. My biggest regret is I didn't take pictures of the bugs.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank sclmkl
PILI, Manager at Hotel Continental Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2009

Concerning this review, we would like to point out the following: The Lady who wrote this review stayed with us on October 11th for 3 nights. During her stay she did not mention a single word about this matter. Almost 4 weeks latter, we recived a mail from her, complaining about this and claiming for a full refund of the stay, laundry and medication costs. Inmediatelly after we received her mail, we went straight to the room where they had stayed the previous month, and although the room was occupied every day - because the hotel was fully booked daily - when we checked the room we did not find evidence of insects and the room was absolutelly in duly order. If during her stay, the room was affected by any kind of plague, when it was checked one month later, we should have found something, but that was not the case. Consecuently, we did not find any reason why we should refund any amount to our guest. We are so sorry for all the trouble she may have had, but we don't feel responsible at all.

We have 112 years in the hotel industry, and when we fail in something, we do not hesitate to compensate our guests. Readers can verify on this site, tripadvisor.com

Finally, we would like to add that the hotel is disinssected, disinffected and controlled periodically, in order to avoid all this kind of problems.