“Decent place for an overnight stay”

Exe Laietana Palace
Ranked #369 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed December 3, 2009

I liked it. Regular motel :). Free ice machine on site. Turned out to be pretty useful cause the only booze we could get at night (the time we arrived) was beer from the nearby gas station. Then we turned one of our drawers into a cooling drawer ;).

Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 7, 2009

I stayed at the Laietana Palace with my sister while exploring Barcelona last week. We loved this hotel and would definitely return!

The value for the money is great. This hotel is what I'd call "American style", with a bright and open lobby and front desk that is always staffed with friendly and helpful, English-speaking hotel employees. I noticed there is a bar in the lobby with alcohol behind it, but never saw anyone drinking there. Our room was small but very nice and comfortable, overlooking the ancient ruins behind the hotel, which was cool. There was a minibar too, essential in my mind for keeping bottled water and yogurt for easy snacks in the room.

You can see from my other reviews that I travel with a computer and wi-fi is very important to me. This hotel gets 5 stars in that department. Free wi-fi with a very strong signal in our room, 24/7. We were able to download full movies from iTunes for watching during siesta in less than 45 minutes. It was just as fast as the Verizon FiOS I have at home.

The hotel location couldn't be beat. The Via Laietana runs between El Born and Bario Gottic - the 2 neighborhoods where we wanted to spend most of our time anyway. So many excellent restaurants and tapas/sangria spots in close walking distance. Just avoid the wine bar directly beneath the hotel - overpriced and an odd scene.

Breakfast in the hotel was generous. We stayed away from the eggs and bacon, but there was always cheese and ham, whole fruit and cut fruit, breads and pastries, juice and a coffee/cappuccino/latte machine. Breakfast is not included in the room cost, which we did know until checkout, but we didn't mind because it was so good, and all in all still cheaper than the terrible hotel in Madrid we were headed to (see my other review)

Would absolutely return to this hotel, and to Barcelona also.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 14, 2009

The very small room was bare bones minimum without even a picture on the wall.
The hotel is on a very busy street, not too far from the action on LaRambla.
We had several pieces of luggage, but at 8:30 a.m., nobody was available to bring the luggage down from the room when we were ready to check out.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2009

Small hotel perfectly placed in the center of the town, many interesting places to see around, a few steps Jaume I metro station. All this at the cost of quite noisy Laietana street. The room was nice and clean, bathroom in marbles. The shower construction is quite unusual (looks good, but it isn't functional). Wireless Internet free of charge. My advise: don't rent a car in Barcelona - you'll spend your time in traffic jams and in the center you'll pay the parking 25-35 EUR per night. Use public transport instead.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 2, 2009

For an expensive 4 star hotel (renovated building run by Novastar European Chain), the hotel was understaffed. No one to help with bags up the front steps (no ramp). The hotel is right over the subway, which made sleep difficult on the lower floors. The renovated bathrooms had marble floors, but was poorly designed (shower with half glass screen and flat floor, which splashed water onto the bathroom floor). The beds were hard but not comfortable. The one plus was location in the middle of the Gothic Quarter, which made the limited staff rude and suspicious of non-Caucasian guests coming in off the high traffic street. Card keys as in our Madrid hotels would have allowed the limited staff to be more cordial to the guests.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 12, 2009

Look,
Let's get one thing straight, this is not a 4-star hotel...who ever says that, is just lying. What it does have is location...So, if you just want a place to crash, take a shower, then get back on to the streets of Barcelona then this hotel is ok...Period! ..No Romantic Get-a-ways, and no Romantic views. If you want that, then book the Arts Hotel Barcelona and if the gal is smart she'll appreciate you!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 27, 2009

After having booked the Laietana Palace with lastminute.com my heart literally sank when I read the terrible reviews other guests had written, so I was truly expecting the worst. From our welcome at the hotel (a complimentary red rose/book as is Catalan tradition on St. Jordi's day) to very helpful internet/email assistance from the concierge, both my husband and I couldn't fault the hotel or its staff. As someone with a marketing background, I am well aware of the fact that people rarely write a good review, but are very quick to complain about bad experiences. I felt that I had to write a positive review in case other travellers are put off staying at this hotel.

True, the rooms are small but are clean and well-serviced. I agree with some reviews that it may not be "4 star" as it does lack some services that you may expect in a 4* hotels (i.e. a pool/fitness suite) but its location is superb, close to sights and you won't want to stay in the hotel for the duration of your trip to Barcelona anyway!!

A point to note that has been mentioned in a few reviews is that there is no hot water in the jacuzzi shower - there is...you just have to press the red lever on the shower as we discovered on the first morning!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple