“Only good thing is location”

Hotel Exe Laietana Palace
Ranked #377 of 514 Hotels in Barcelona
Donegal
“Only good thing is location”
Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

We arrived on the 18th November 2013. No warm welcome took the man behind the desk ages to check us in. There's no bar, restaurant for evening relaxing, we were horrified. Could wait to see our room as the hotel is situated beside the gothic walls. We ended up on the 6th floor and was extremely disappointed we were basically in the attic we couldn't see out the windows it was awful. When we sat on the bed it went flying across the room no brakes nothing to stop it from moving, there's no tea/coffee facilities which is needed seeing as there's no bar opened unless you ask the reception to get you a drink and they spend more time around the computer than doing any work. When you went into the bathroom there is a pillar right beside the toilet if your larger than size 12 your going to get stuck it's ridiculous. Our sheets weren't changed on the bed after 2days even though we requested it due to a stain that was imprinted on the sheets. Breakfast was non existence, the man barely acknowledge our presence, tea and coffee is from a machine you get in a filling station, not much to offer, only things edible was brought into the hotel like hams, cheeses, breads. On check out you find out you have to pay a city tax that we were unaware of when we checked in. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone who has to spend time in it, only good point is the location but even that there's better hotels minutes away on either side.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KerriMcG23

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We stayed for 7 nights end if Oct 13. Location is great, right in the heart but the room was tiny and maintenance poor. We had to fix the wardrobe doors ourselves as they fell off and the shower was a trickle of warn water. We asked repeatedly about the lack of hot water but to no avail.

We never once saw the bar open.

Overall the hotel is ok but not 4 star - more like a budget hotel, a bit tired and in need of a refurbishment. At aporox £70 a night for city centre location its about ok but nothing special.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Priestfields

Travelers are raving about these Barcelona hotels

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

great location on red route of bus tour. would not say hotel was 4 star. more like 3 compared to others in the area. breakfast was lovely but no other meals available and more of a selection could have been offered. hotel wifi kept cutting out. decor needs update as tired. very friendly female receptionist however one male receptionist rather grumpy! Irish bar right next door with very friendly atmosphere with amazing food and sport!
overall would recommend if your not looking to stay in hotel too much.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Natasha F
San Francisco, California
Reviewed October 17, 2013

I came to the Eurostars Laietana Palace after the other hotel I had booked was overbooked and didn't have a room available for me.

The location is where I wanted to be - near Bari Gotic. To me this is the best part of Barcelona. If you really want to explore the most charming areas of Barcelona, you have to check out Bari Gotic. It's easy to get lost in the winding, narrow alleys and streets, but this is part of the whole charm. My favorite dive bar is nearby called Babel Cafe - check it out.

The decor of the hotel - starting with the lobby is very dated. The lobby is not somewhere I would want to spend time at all. The decor of my room was dated as well. The room was tiny with just enough space for the bed and a small desk. The bed was also very hard. The pictures of the rooms that the hotel provides must be of another hotel. I didn't get one of the open, airy, spacious rooms. My room received no natural light as it looked into an airshaft between buildings. Luckily I was in Barcelona so I didn't have to spend much time in my room.

For some odd reason there was a housekeeping cart that was left out in the hallway for the two days that I stayed there. At first I thought it was forgotten or housekeeping was still cleaning, but were out of sight, but after a day, I figured that maybe it was there so you could help yourself to refills of toiletries or cleaning supplies.

To sum it up - if I had my choice, I would not return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed in the hotel for 6 nights in September 2013, including breakfast. We had a great stay, and would recommend it as a hotel in Barcelona.

Pros:
* Great location right on Jaume I metro station between Barrio Gotico and El-Born which have a lot of great restaurants bars and shops, 7 mins walk from Rambla.
* very good breakfast: egg, cheeses, sausages, great fruits, cereals, juices and pastries
* Room was very spacious and clean, free fast wi-fi in the room, flat screen, mini-bar
* Service was very kind and helpful, daily cleaning service

Cons
* we had 2 connected matresses but I think it could have been solved if we complained
* breakfast was about 100$ extra per person for 6 nights, I'm not sure I would pay that again... eventhough the breakfast is really good, since there are many coffee-shops and bakeries around.

At the bottom line - I think this place has has a great value, and for sure the best value-for-money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Yoav G
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Hotel staff was extremely friendly. Got the place at 90 EUR per night during peak season. Even if you have to pay a bit higher definitely a good hotel as it was save on travelling and moving around becomes extremely convenient. I would recommend this hotel. I stayed there for 3 days.

Though it was a little noisy as close to the via laientana road but can't ask for everything!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rons4174
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My mom and I arrived at Laietana Palace Hotel tired and hungry. Anna, working at the front desk, suggested a nearby restaurant for tapas. She later explained various tour options (we did a tour bus that was great!).
A slight mix-up with the online booking service we used (similar to Expedia) meant we were given a room with a double bed the first night. Although we couldn't be moved our first night, the hotel moved us the next morning and was extremely attentive.
Overall, Anna was really the standout feature of our stay. She was gracious, welcoming, happy to have a good conversation, yet also professional. When my mom and I moved to the room with two beds (as we'd originally requested), she called up to our room to make sure all was well. She continued to greet us with friendly chatter for the rest of our stay.
My mom and I agree that a return trip to Barcelona will definitely include the Laietana Palace Hotel!

• Stayed August 2013