“Fabulous Room, Great Stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of U232 Hotel

U232 Hotel
Ranked #50 of 522 Hotels in Barcelona
New York City, New York
“Fabulous Room, Great Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2010

While living in Berlin and planning a trip to Barcelona, I came across the U232 on Tripadvisor. I was prepared for it to be good, but my experience exceeded all expectations. I reserved a Top Room for 3 nights, but I found a good deal online. I have stayed at luxury hotels in European capitols, as well as in luxury hotels in the States, but the Top Room at the U232, for its price, stands out as being incredible. It is clean, comfortable, quiet enough, and roomy.

The room was a decent size, nothing crazy, but the bathroom was even larger than the bedroom. There was a separate room for a toilet and a sink (the size of a normal hotel's bathroom), multiple sinks, a large closet with huge mirrors, and a very large shower area featuring two rain forest shower heads and a separate bathtub. The shower and bathtub area was right by a large window which you could cover or not. It is quite an experience to be showering at night and looking out over the rooftops of Barcelona! The bathroom also offers many different lighting options.

The patio area outside was lovely and luxurious. There is a lounge area with couches and a coffee table, as well as a separate area with a dinner table and chairs. The views of the streets and the surrounding area are amazing, especially at night when the city is lit up.

Although I did not utilize many services at the hotel, my interactions with the staff were very pleasant and professional. The desk workers were very informative and clear with their suggestions and advice. When I arrived, my room was not yet ready, and the people at the desk frequently checked on me and updated me as I waited in the lobby. I also had friends stop by, and the hotel staff easily passed along messages and information between us.

The lobby itself is nice and has a brasserie feel to it. There are several computers and printers that guests can use at no charge, which is very convenient. The hotel is a short walk to a metro station, and so it is easy to get to many sites and attractions.

I highly recommend springing for the Top Room. If you book at the right time, it's a phenomenal deal! The bedroom itself is nothing out of the ordinary, but it's the bathroom and rooftop deck that will make your jaw drop.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NYEm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2010

U232 offered better service than most 5* hotels we stayed. Everything was just right for us.

- Friendly, always helpful staff that speaks English
- Very accommodating when we switched rooms because of the street noise. (Barcelona - - was very noisy because of the soccer world cup celebrations.)
- Breakfast was very nice, with something for everybody
- The entrance and the rooms are beautifully decorated and very clean
- Free PCs with fast and reliable internet connection, which we didn't have in any other hotel in Spain.
- Parking is available right next door

I don’t think that Barcelona has another hotel that offers that much value for its price. We payed 90 Euro with a great breakfast and welcoming drinks. The location didn’t seem that great in the beginning, but we realized that by taking the bus instead of the subway (2 bus lines are just 2 minutes away and those buses covered all our needs) it was easy and cheap to get around.

• Stayed July 2010
Haemeenlinna, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2010

U232 is located on a busy street, oppisite a technical school about 2km from Plaza de Catalunya. From the airport the hotel is easy to reach by metro; take a metro train from the airport to Sants Estació, change there to the blue line, L5 towards Horta and get off at the station Hospital Clinic, from there it´s just 1,5 blocks walk to the hotel. One way metro ticket from the airport was in June, 2010 3 euros, so it´s worth to buy 10-trips-ticket (7,20e) if you attend to use metro more than couple of times.

At the hotel I just loved our room! Though we had the most cheapest room in first floor with no proper view, the room was absolutely beautiful, like the whole hotel! U232 is really nicely decorated and carefully detailed, a real boutique hotel indeed! In our room we had very comfortable king size bed, huge flat screen tv, mini bar of course, safe deposit box, lots of storage space for cloths and stuff, balcony and very efficient air conditioning. I think it was the nicest room I´ve ever been with that amount of money we paid for our stay. Definitely great value for the money!

I think I read from some reviews about the "smell" in the hotel. They must put some scent into the air conditioning, cause there was this certain smell all over the hotel and in the guest rooms. It didn´t bother me at all, I think it was a nice smell and I liked it, but maybe some guests with really sensitive nose or allergy might react on that differently.

The staff at the reception was ok. They were normally friendly to us, nothing special, but they still seemed quite stressed out. They helped us properly with our problems with the key cards (pay attention where to keep your card, cause these ones are extremely sensitive to magnets, for example in wallets or handbags) and questions about the city, but I kind of felt like I am bothering them with my questions, which is of course wrong cause they are there for the guests and their questions! Though I have to give my thanks to them for letting us keep our room 2 hours longer on the check-out day, even they were fully booked!

Something about the neighbourhood; there´s supermarker Dia% just round the corner on Carrer de Paris and couple of fast food restaurants in the nearest blocks (for example Pans in the corners of Comte d´Urgell and Paris), a post box you can find also from the corner of Comte d´Urgell and Paris. There are some restaurants and cafés also but head to Barri Gotic for example for the evenings, this area is pretty quiet. If you arrive by car, there´s parking hall in the same block and entrance just next to the hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Merimaria
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2010

I agree with those who posted overall positive reviews for this hotel. But we chose the top floor room (901), which has lots of space and a terrace as large as the room. The down side to the terrace (and the hotel) is that it's on a busy street, and even on the 9th floor, we still could hear the street noise. It wasn't a problem for sleeping, because the closed windows kept out most of the sound, but it didn't make using the terrace appealing. However, our bed was large and comfortable. The marble bathroom a delight. And the decor a pleasure to look at. But I had trouble modulating the air conditioning. The blower was right over the bed, so it was either freezing and cold air was hitting my face all night. If I just used the fan and no ac, then it got too warm. Consequently, sleeping was difficult. Also, the 14E breakfast is definitely overcharged. The cereal selection is museli and corn flakes. Limited cut up fresh fruit available. They offer mainly canned peaches, etc. But it was more convenient eating there than trying to find a cafe that wasn't filled with cigarette smoke. That's another big plus for this hotel: non-smoking throughout. So a mixed review. Would I stay there again? No because of the ac and problems sleeping, but I think it's a nice hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2010

Thanks to this hotel and it's location we were able to spend time away from the crowded tourist traps and experience real Barcelona: warm and cosy restaurants, locals watching football at their neighbourhood bars etc. However, the hotel is not actually that far away from the sights, Barcelona's excellent and cheap metro system will take you anywhere in the city and the Hospital Clinic station is located only 5 minutes walk from the hotel.

The hotel is decorated with unique, modern style inside out the hotel. The reception staff was friendly and we got some excellent restaurant tips as well as instructions how to reach different sites.

The free wireless network is available everywhere in the hotel, but the idle time is set very short and you may need to reconnect quite often.

Perhaps the only minus for this hotel experience was the breakfast. Even though the basic selection was adequote, the quality of food was not consistent. Warm dishes at the buffet were not warm enough and the local tomato sauce for bread should be available all the time.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2010

location is out of the city. good if you want to be away from the crowd. The hotel staff are not very helpful. This is the first hotel I have ever been to that doesn't have tourist information stand in the lobby and when you ask the staff about things to do, they bring out the same 2-3 tourist leaflets for everyone. One packet you actually have to pay money for (some package deal thing) I'm sure they get a cut out of it. We asked them for tours other than these and some possible out of town ones. The reception at the time didn't understand me (may not speak/understand english well) and called another lady where I had to repeat my questions to be answered with "um I dont know" so she just searched the internet. In the end she gave us spain tourism centre phone number and told us to call them or go visit them. I asked her how much a call costs from the hotel phone and she replied with "um, I dont know". She couldn't find out the answer for me and whether it was a standard call cost or charged per time.
I asked them to fix the lock to our door, wasn't fixed
Our bed was 2 wheelie beds joined together. Everytime i sat on it, it moved and squeaked.
dirty cutlery left in our room after cleaning and no new soap even though we had run out

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank smeewee
Coppell, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

Really nice hotel - very clean. Well located - easy to get on the subway system. Might not be the roomiest, but it is well laid out inside the room. Uses the "green" system where you remove your key when you leave and the lights, TV & air are turned off automatically. Had 3 English language channels on the cable in the room including a movie channel. The Business Center was really nice with 2 computers that was open for use 24 hrs/day.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family