“ok hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gran Hotel Barcino

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Gran Hotel Barcino
Ranked #450 of 522 Hotels in Barcelona
brisbane
“ok hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

nice hotel and good staff, room was clean and well set out,b/fast was cont no hot food it was ok meat, fruit ,etc plus tea and coffee where the hotel is in a great spot close to all you need to see if i am in barcelona again its the place for me. john.c

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank john c

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

I just came back from Barcelona last night from my pre-wedding vacation. I origionally booked the Suizo Hotel through flight centre which was a 3-star hotel because it was located in a very convenient location were you can access a lot of the hote spots by foot. After I booked the hotel I read over all the reviews and 90% of the people were saying that this hotel was very noisy because it was located in the city center. I sort of got a bit regret of choosing this hotel but nothing else you can do because it's done so the date we went for check-in the hotel staff told us that our names wasn't on the reservation but we paid for everything already and I also confirmed with flight center and they told me that we were confirmed...with all the confusion and the time zone difference we couldn't even get through the agency to solve the problem and the thing is the hotel was sold out already so the receptionist offered us a stay at the Gran Hotel Barcino which was a 4-star hotel and it was located just across the Suizo Hotel. I couldn't tell what was the difference between a 3-star and 4-star hotel because I never got to see the room at the Suizo. The room was extremily small that you can't even turn around with 2 luggages but it was very clean and quite at night so I guess that's what matters the most regardless about the room size because we didn't even spend much time in the room other then just sleep. The only thing I didn't like was the receptionists they were either rude or txt msg with cell phone and have you wait (not professional) but overall the hotel was great.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cristina L
Tel Aviv
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

I just got back from Barcelona and from my stay at the Gran Hotel Barcino and thought I'd write about my experience there. So first things first, DON'T PANIC! I read all the awful reviews after I had made the reservation and I was frightened when I got there. So let's start with some background info. By the time I got to the Gran Hotel Barcino, I had been at the Barcelona Pullman Skipper (a 5-star hotel) for three days. Of course it was great. Whatever you would expect from a 5-star hotel. Since I am an observant Jew and cannot use money on Shabbat (Fri evening through Saturday evening), I wanted to go to a very central hotel where I could get around on foot. And that's when I came upon the GHB. It was 2 minutes away from an ancient synagogue and I didn't think twice before making the reservation.

But only about a couple of days before I was supposed to go there, did I read all the nightmarish reviews. My experience was COMPLETELY different. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful. Now bear in mind that Catalonians are not that famous for being the most patient and friendliest people in Spain. They were helpful, welcoming and pleasant.

I'm not sure that's what a 4-star hotel is like, because I can't remember last time I went to a 4-star hotel before GBH. I'm usually not so worried about hotel rates, so I can usually allow myself to go to a 5-star hotel. Of course it's a different ball game. But to be fair to the GHB, their internet was much faster in the room than the Sipper where I had to be downstairs in order to get good connection. My room was clean (and I have a Virgo Jewish mother, so I know what cleanliness is all about - even though I'm not that tidy myself :P ). If I opened the window, it was a bit noisy, but once I closed it, I couldn't hear a thing. It was peaceful and quiet enough. But again, if you're very sensitive to notice, than you might as well avoid this whole area altogether, because it's quite busy all day long. The only thing I heard was the Church bell.

The curtain is kind of old and so is the bed duvet cover. But honestly, bottom line is: if you got plenty of bucks to spend, pamper yourself to a 5-star hotel. If you're on a budget, this hotel is a great option at a premium location. It's in the heart of the city.

If you've decided to stay at the GHB, just have fun and don't worry so much about some of the nasty reviews.

Hasta luego!

Room Tip: Probably back rooms are quieter, but if you are not so sensitive to noise, try to get a room with a...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Mojshe
oxnard
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

I read one good review on this hotel that I think was posted by someone on the incredibly rude staff at the hotel barcino.I have stayed at many hotels in many countries,This one was by far the worst. We paid about 235 dollars a night, so it wasnt a "value" hotel,first of all.What we received for our money was dirty bed linens' a room so hot and stuffy we found it hard to breathe( we were there april 28 and 29th 2012 and it wasnt even hot outside) extremely arrogant and rude staff.My feeling is if someone writes a good review on this hotel,they either own it or work there.There was nothing redeeming about this place.The fact that its in a good location( as are at least 20 other much nicer hotels within walking distance of this place) does not make up for its horrible service and rooms)a motel 6 offers better rooms than this dark dank and dirty hotel.The person who reviewed it and wrote that he wouldnt send his worst enemy to this hotel is doing his enemy a great service...AND his/her warning should be listened to.This place was AWFUL.There are several hotels in this price range that are in the same proxcinity to all the attractions,hotels that dont make you feel like youre picking up a disease just from sleeping in the dirty bed.

Room Tip: stay away from this hotel,thats my tip for choosing a good room
4 Thank cferg1722

Travelers are raving about these Barcelona hotels

Cairo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2012

One of the best located hotels i've ever been to. if you're visiting barcelona and plan to spend the day out and want to be in the center this is your pick. hotel staff very pleasant and helpful..just next to a very nice tapas resto/bar. in front is a chinese noodles place with really funny chef and just after is a shop that sells one of the coolest indian dresses, pants,... and cheapest.
rooms are not sunny but who will stay in the room in Barcelona! its a practical hotel, clean, big bathroom, very nicely located.. your choice..
i got the hotel in a very high season on a national holiday (27 Apr- 30 Apr) 3 nights double room for 343 euro which i think was pretty good..
Your choice now.

Room Tip: try highest floors we had in the 5th floor was good. as the street can be busy and noisy.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cairo-traveller79
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

We stayed in this hotel at the start of April. I booked it before i read here and was a little worried prior to our arrival. The hotel gets an unfair slating as at the end of the day you get what you pay for. We honestly had no complaints, Our room was spacious, clean (with daily maid serivce) and had a balcony which we made use of. It was very central and ideally located to the Metro and we would not hesitate to use it again if we were to return to Barcelona.

Carluke, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

Our flight was cancelled and we had to find quick accomodation for 2 days. We booked this hotel simply because of it's location and the fact that it was graded as 4 star - this is the last time I book using the stars as an indication of hotel quality and without reading reviews.

The hotel is needing refurbished but this we could live with. The rain started on the day we arrived so the room was cold and damp. I attempted to turn the heating on but couldn't get it to work. I spoke to the man at reception who barely acknowledged that I was there and told me the heating had been switched off as it was hot enough - honestly!! I thought that it was up to me to control my room temperature but not at this hotel. By day 2 of the rain, the room was really cold and damp, not helped by the fact that the bathroom fan didn't work and we had to use the hairdryer to de-mist the mirror and to help dry our clothes and shoes.
The bedding was beginning to feel damp by now however the extra blanket in the wardrope was dirty with staining and the top cover on our bed had holes in it. It was no better than a hostel and 2stars would be pushing it.
We chose not to complain further as it was clear the staff were there to take our money and hand over the key and service was not part of their job. We would have moved hotel except we had booked through bookng.com and would not get a refund.
The windows were not sound proofed which made sleeping really difficult with the noise of constant traffic and people shouting and bawling all night. The walls are paper thin aswell and the people in the room next to us leaving at 5.30am was a new experience altogether for us.
After having stayed 4 days at the AXEL in Barcelona which was superb then moving to this place which really was the pits, it was a real let down. The disappointment in not getting home was bad enough but this made everything worse and has really tainted my memories of Barcelona.
I have certainly learned my lesson and will NEVER book another place without first referring to reviews.

Room Tip: There is no good room in this place - I wouldn't recommend it at all
    • 2 of 5 bubbles