“Delicious! Beautiful! Friendly!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Los Azulejos - CLOSED

Los Azulejos
Cuisines: Mexican, Spanish, Latin
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Barrio Gotico (Barri Gotic)
Description: First gastronomic Mexican Restaurant in Barcelona.
Barcelona
“Delicious! Beautiful! Friendly!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2011

I am an expatriate resident of Barcelona who has been waiting for a restaurant like this - proper Mexican, not texmex, but also not a Spanish take on Mexican either.
We had reserved for our Sunday lunch, assuming the restaurant would be full. It wasn't...but I suspect this will change very soon! We were welcomed at the gate of the alley where the restaurant sits. Our drink order was discussed on our short walk!
I had a margarita classica (made with Patrón) and my better half had a beer (Pacifico) which was selected from a long pedigreed list of Mexican beers. While we enjoyed our drinks, we were treated to a selection of 3 salsas and house made chips. At this point I had already decided that I love this place! The salsas were a really great start to the meal...fresh, tasty...and the Margarita was PERFECT!
We ordered Fish Tacos to share as a starter and then we followed with Chicken in a Mole sauce and Steak with a Green sauce. The fish tacos were full of flavour, served with lime to squeeze over (a flavour revelation that made them almost addictive)! The chicken was charcoal grilled and then served covered with a Mole sauce and some red rice. The more we ate, the more we loved - A rich, spicy incredibly chocolatey sauce served with succulent chicken! The steak was fantastic too! The citrussy tomatillo sauce was a perfect foil against the juicy beef and the cheesy rice with grilled spring onions worked well to finish the dish.
The service was friendly and attentive and we were pleased to see that the restaurant was beginning to fill up as we dined.
I would recommend this restaurant with no qualms! I can't wait to return!

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank bcnfoodie

London, United Kingdom
“Great food, great place, great staff, not cheap.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2011

We arrived at this restaurant as they were opening at midday on a rainy Sunday. We were the only people in the restaurant, other than staff, for the entire duration of our meal (about an hour). After ordering, we were provided with a variety of salsa dips and chips. We ordered the Special Guacamole dip with chips for a starter which was excellent. For mains we had the Chicken Breast in Black Mole sauce and Shrimps with Habanero Chilli, Mint and Mango Pico de Gallo. Both mains were excellent and decent sized servings, while not too big. For dessert we managed to squeeze in Mamey Cake which is a fruit mousse with (outstanding) dark chocolate. We had two beers and a margarita between us. The waitress was very attentive and provided some direction on choices of mains and dessert. The whole meal was fantastic but at 73 Euros for the two of us, was not cheap. If they could offer the same products ate reduced prices, it would be a 5/5. We would go back again, but is too expensive to be a regular haunt.

• Visited November 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
“Stellar mexican food in Barcelona; solid margaritas, too”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2011

I've been looking for quality mexican food in barcelona for the past year and this is it! Los Azulejos is authentic and delicious and i highly recommend it. They start you with their chips and three unique dips that are all pretty good. I tried the chicken tortilla soup and ceviche the first time I visited and both were excellent. And the margaritas - top of the line!! The house rita comes with patron, grand marnier, and lime juice - nothing else, delicious.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank ioomer
Vancouver, Canada
“fantastic!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2011

Los Azulejos (the tiles)
After a long day of exploring Barcelona, my travel buddy and I decided to look for a good restaurant. We were exhausted so we agreed the prerequisites we agreed were to be, comfortable seating, good food and they must serve Sangria.
After walking out of a few restaurants, mainly for uncomfortable seating but one because of lack of Sangria, we turned a corner and stumbled on a gateway with a little corridor that a gentleman assured us had amazing food, very comfortable seating and the best Sangria in the city. We went to take a look and it seemed lovely. We chose our seats and sat down to look at the menu. Suddenly I realized it was Mexican, not that I minded, I love Mexican food and have spent many months there.
As with tradition they started by serving us chips and salsa on the table, but not one salsa, 3 salsas, all homemade and all exceptional! My friend ordered bean soup as a starter, it was black bean of course with fresh avocado (extremely hard to find in Barcelona) and a bit of cheese and lime. He was blown away. I had a Poblano cream pepper soup which was equally astounding. There was a chicken with black mole on the menu but not knowing the chef and knowing moles I was afraid to try it so ordered the steak with green sauce. Absolutely fenominal! It was the most tender flavourful steak I have had in years. My friend was from Alberta where they claim to have the best beef in the world and he said “good lord that’s better than Alberta beef!” and he was right. On the side was a delicious 3 cheese rice, just lovely.
Ok now for the ambiance. They have gone way above and beyond to make it a true Mexican style restaurant. It is done in the most impeccable taste , with the beauty and feel of Mexico. Los Azulejos means “The Tiles” and true to the name the tile work is magnificent. A huge tile mural of a woman was on the ceiling of our room, the walls are adorned with many more pictures of tiles and murals. The floors are all bright red colourful tiles. The seats are well mad traditional Mexican chairs but of the highest quality. There are 3 floors and on the top floor is the Tequila room with well over 100 varieties of Tequila. We had one shot and it was amazingly smooth, very much like a perfect single malt scotch.
The server was clearly new at serving and forgot what we ordered and had to come back and ask. He would be advised to write it down as there were only 2 of us and the restaurant wasn’t busy. He tried very hard though and as we left we asked how long they had been open, “two days” was the response.
This is definitely a 5 star restaurant once the wait staff is properly trained. The management Chritian Hernandez and his communications and event manager Maria Samper are going to do very well with this venture. Congradulations!!!

• Visited September 2011