“Great location, horrible beds”
Review of Nouvel Hotel

Nouvel Hotel
Ranked #216 of 515 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed November 9, 2012

The bed was like sleeping on a flat board. They are VERY firm. I think the bed is a good quality bed and would be fine for people that like a very firm bed. For me it was too firm. We asked the front desk on the second night if they had a sleeping pad or anything to help and they said you need to ask the maid for it. On check in I suggest you ask about the bed pad.

The other issue we had was the lack of sound proofing. We could hear everything our neighbors were saying/doing. Not to mention if you move a chair you hear a loud noise that could be easily remedied with felt pads placed on the foot.

If you can get past these two issues, then the location and service was great. The staff was polite and helpful.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Amber7373

Reviewed November 7, 2012

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel and the service we received was brilliant. I had a couple of queries before we arrived and I received a prompt reply. I was a bit apprehensive after reading some of the previous reviews but we got exactly what we expected - a city centre hotel! The location was fantastic, just off the Rambla, the room clean and tidy, excellent breakfast. There are plenty of good tapas bars within easy walking distance, we were advised to eat just off the Rambla, which we did and we could not fault any of the food we had. We also drank the local liqueur which was delicious, we just asked what the locals were drinking. We had tickets to see Bareclona play at Camp Nou, the hotel staff kept our tickets for us and advised us about the Metro. As long as you take sensible precautions, as you would in any city, you will not have any problems. We had our son with us and at no time did we feel unsafe. I would definetly stay here again and willingly reccommend it to others.

Room Tip: spanish hotels do not have complimentary drinks in rooms, so you may want to take a travel ketttle e...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank barcafan_12
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Firstly before I do this review, to say I was apprehensive about staying on Barcelona was an understatement. What with previous reviews and all the information in National newspapers and the media, about pickpockets etc., I was concerned. I needn't have worried. There is a police presence but not more than any other large city, and not in your face to feel alarmed. Just don't go out with all your best jewellery on, keep credit cards in the hotel safe and only take enough money for the time you are out. You will be fine (my husband wears those cargo trousers with the pockets on the legs. Ideal for the occasion and I have my handbag across my body). Back to the hotel. Hotel Nouvel on Santa Anna Street is in as brilliant central position. Has Las Rambla one end and El Corte Engles the other. The staff were very helpful and the room was clean and comfortable. Shower was excellent and the bed was fine (I am used to a firm bed and this was okay, from previous reviews I thought I mights be sleeping on a paving stone!!! It was perfectly comfortable). The safe charge was 1 euro 50 per night and is excellent value. My only slight niggle was the narrowness of the hanging space in the wardrobe. We were only staying 4 nights before a cruise so it was not much of a problem. It might be a bit of a squash for 2 people staying for 1 or 2 weeks. Included in our Mini Break was Breakfast ( namely Continental) and it was one of the best we have had. Assortment of teas, coffees, rolls, bread, cold meats, cereals, juices, yoghurts, pastries and the list goes on. Also HOT sausages, scrambled eggs and beans. Usually previous continental breakfasts we have had in the past, the only hot items are tea, coffee and toast!!
We took advantage of the Tourist Bus System for 2 days and was excellent value (2 days is 31 euros each but as we were over 65 years old the price was 22 euros each). WE hopped on and off on both sides of the city,and the second day we went back to our favourite longer stops. Well worth every euro.
This was our first visit to Barcelona and what a city!! We loved every minute and we will certainly stay again in Hotel Nouvel and for a longer stay. It has an excellent city position, great staff and breakfasts. In the four nights we were there it was a taste of what we saw and hope to see in our furture visit.

Room Tip: Dont' worry about the rooms. Barcelona is such a brilliant city, you will spend more time out o...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank oldie46
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I have returned this week after a four night stay at the Nouvel hotel.
As everyone has said, the location is probably the best you can get in Barcelona, metres from the Ramblas, but just out enough to not be effected by outside noise. The staff were friendly/helpful and I'm not sure who it was a previous reviewer saw, but the chap behind reception told us about the additional services (such as the breakfast etc) and just said that they were avaliable if we required, no pushy upsell. We also booked through EasyJet and the cost of the additional tax was already included so we didn't have the additional cost to consider once there.
My only vague issue with the hotel is the flooring makes for footsteps easily heard from above, or when people have checked out, the maids moving beds and such around can be noisey.
Overall, this is a great hotel for people wanting to experience Barcelona.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank LeahMarie2
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Right...I’m grumpy and very hard to please were customer service is concerned. So, when I say this place provides excellent customer service, believe me, it’s really good.

The boutique hotel is bang-slap in the middle of all the action in central Barcelona – you cannot be more central. From booking-in to checking out, the staff could not have been more friendly or helpful. Their English is good and they really want to make your stay brilliant. We were early, but they did not hesitate to check us in. Every time we asked for something, it was done promptly and with a smile. When we checked out, they saw our taxi was waiting and jumped our immediately to the front of the queue.

Please note:
• WiFi is FREE and our room provided a super fast connection
• It’s a FULL continental breakfast – nothing to complain about
• The shower in our room was modern and worked well with lots of hot water

Yes, the floors are marble and so noisy gussets rolling in late at night do make noise. Our room was quiet small, but perfectly adequate – you can always ask for a bigger room as there were others bigger than ours. The beds are firm, fine with me. My only minor gripe was the maid took the dirty towels from the room early in the mornings, but did not replace them for a few hours.

In all my many travels, I have rarely encountered such good customer service from a foreign hotel. If you are travelling to Barcelona – you wouldn’t get a better central hotel than this!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank machinmad
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I suppose it's a matter of taste really, but what good is a hotel in the prime location of a city when the hotel itself is something of a let down. The location in this case is a side street off the main boulevarde in Barcelona known as the Rambla, home to numerous shops, cafés, bars, theatres etc. I suppose if you are a party animal who likes to zonk out in a quiet hotel, then this is the ideal choice.
Unfortunately that's not me. I like to enjoy the whole package you see. Yes, I like to be in the thick of it all, within walking distance of everything important, the bus stop to the Aeropuerto, the Metro, the aforementioned bars and whatnot, yes yes.. but ALSO, I expect some sort of friendly welcome, even if it is completely fake. No, I don't like your upsell tactics with your raised eyebrow when I decline the offer of use of a room safe for an additional EUR 1,50 per day. I hate the fact that you want a EUR 20,- 'deposit' for a TV remote control (which later turns out to be useless since there are no channels on the 'Satellite TV' that are not in spanish.) Guess what? I don't like to be told that the hotel bar is closed at 10pm when I want a nightcap. No I refuse to eat that obscene plastic wrapped trash you dare call breakfast, with the orange juice from a chemical factory, and the coffee, well, where do I start on the coffee..
In short this hotel is a complete and utter disaster, and taught me a valuable lesson yet again about Spain in general.. ALWAYS subtract two stars from the hotels self proclaimed rating. I found the staff unfriendly, to the point of being actively devious, the rooms were none too clean, the bathroom filthy, the shower curtain too short. No carpets in the place meant every single bodily function performed in the neighbouring rooms were broadcast into your chamber in lieu of evening entertainment. The breakfast was an insult, and the hotel still charges you for it even if you do not eat it. The scam regarding the EUR 20 deposit for the remote control was an insult. (In case you have not twigged yet, you are meant to forget the TV remote in your room, at which point the hotel pockets your EUR 20..) The daily surcharge of 25 EUR 'city tax' on top of the already overly high bill, an insult.
In short this hotel is a tourist rip-off designed to fleece the unwary. I was admittedly dazzled by the location and suspiciously high number of positive reviews. This is a shabby hotel with even shabbier business practices, I strongly advise you to look elsewhere.

Room Tip: There is a Meridien about 50m away on the Rambla.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank billhelm01
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Just stayed three nights at the Nouvel Hotel it was in a great location it was clean staff were vey helpful the downfall for us was that there was no tea coffee making machines in the rooms and no bar that you could get a glass of wine or beer before going to bed. This hotel was very reasonable priced and it was good value for money would use it again if i return to Barcelona.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends