“Lovely little hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #230 of 522 Hotels in Barcelona
Prague
“Lovely little hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Aside from its fantastic location (50 meters from Catalunya Square and La Rambla avenue - can't get any better) the hotel is smallish, in the old European style with high ceilings, ornaments all over. Rooms are nice, not too small, with modern bathrooms, porches overlooking the back yard and lots of other windows of very near apartments.
Breakfast is European also (white bread, pastries, eggs, cold cereal) and nothing to write home about, but ediquite.
Staff friendly and helpful. We loved our stay there.
One helpful tip for those who aren't too fond of the Spanish tapas - on the other side of the street (Santa Anna) facing the hotel's entrance, there is a buffet style "dining room/restaurant" which helped us survive.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank NavaSc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Excellent hotel for sightseeing, restaurants, tapas bars and very close to the main transport hub for Barcelona including the terminal for the airport bus. Also near start of many of the tours of Barcelona. Hotel was very clean - the rooms were on the small side but our en-suite was new and very smart. Some noise from the street - but to be expected if one stays in the centre of the tourist area. Reception staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Room 127 was very good
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Windsor J
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

Very good position for sight seeing but hotel looks better on internet than in real life, Room was a twin but very small but was very clean and bathroom had bath and overhead shower which was adequateonce fixed after we complained. Cleaners made lot of noise in the morning . Had TV in room but only English station was the news!!!!!
Receprion staff extrtemely helpfull, we didnt have breakfast in hotel but beautiful cafe outside front door of hotel where we bought breakfast and cups tea daily.
Would stay again due to great location and easy access to everywhere as it is off the Ramblas.
beds were hard but was able to sleep. Think twin room was too small and the air con does work but as good as you would expect and no window in room and no mirror in room either!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank brummie338
Newark, Delaware
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed at Novel Hotel for the first 2 days we were in Barcelona. It's literally a couple blocks form La Ramblas and a number of delightful little Tapas spots. The check-in was swift and friendly. Staff was very good at English and were open to answering questions about tours as well as how to get to pick up spots. Really awesome. The first room (more on that later) was simple. Bed, nightstand, tv, safe, and bathroom. BOOM. Good. All you need when you're on vacation, especially in such a great area...So we dropped off our stuff and ran around town...came back and passed out. We woke up in the middle of the night to find the A/C was broken. In the middle of August, in Barcelona. NOT COOL. In fact, quite the opposite. We kicked off the sheets and pushed through it because we were just too tired either way. The next morning we woke up, showered, and started our day with a tour. We told the front desk about our room and they immediately gave us a new room. Awesome. Came back that night to find the SHOWER didn't work...so in good fun we took turns taking baths in a busted tub using coffee mugs to throw water onto ourselves. VERY 18th century. All I'm saying is thank God we just stayed here for 2 days in regards to the bath situation. However, this hotel IS totally in a great spot--great to walk around if you hate public transportation, and hate spending on taxi or in general just like to take in the atmosphere.

Room Tip: Test out the A/C and the water first before you settle in!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Aliesha R
Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

The location is superb, the staff are as friendly as any hotel I have ever stayed and the value for money is clear to see.
I paid for a single room and got exactly what I expected really, a single bed with all the ammenities, and exceptionally clean.
I do not normally leave reviews but having heard the staff having to deal with an agressive typical english complaint about how he hasnt been upgraded to a double room at the same price I felt compelled to leave positive feedback.
He was threatening to leave the review on this site amongst others although I am yet to see anything negative in here, I dont believe in the whole three days I saw him sober.
The other positive I would add is that there is a great number of shops and restuarants in and amongst the area of which the hotel is located.
Brilliant experience!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Liam C
Nottingham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

Ready for a laugh? Here's one.
I booked two single rooms for myself and my travel partner on my CC. One via expedia, and then the next room on the Nouvel hotel's official website. As we arrived at the hotel check-in was nice and easy. We were both handed keys and I was on the first floor, my mate on the 4th. On arrival in to my room I was shocked at the size of it. You literally could not swing a mouse let alone a cat around it. I had read reviews about the shower being great so expectations were high, but we'll come to that in a minute.

An hour or so passed and my mate came down from his 4th floor room to check on mine. He walked in and started laughing. What are you laughing at I asked?!! He then walked in to my tiny bathroom and started laughing hysterically, like a man possessed. He cackled, LOOK AT YOUR SHOWER! PATHETIC!!!!
At this point I had not even looked at my own shower. Mine was a terrible, old looking disaster and poor excuse of a shower. I went to reception to complain and it turns out that because they had sold out of single rooms that they had to allocate my mate a double. So you have a double bed too I yelped! I booked the bloody rooms on my credit card so at least give the better one to me! We both had a good laugh about it but basically it turns out that the single rooms are crap. The bed is tiny, the rooms are stupidly small and the shower and bathroom is pathetic. I looked at my mates double room and it was brilliant. Nice double bed, amazing shower and large room.

So - single rooms - not good
Double room - Great.

****For a laugh please see the attached photo’s and check the difference out between the shower I had in my sinlge room and the shower in the double rooms****

Room Tip: Double rooms are good. Singles are poor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Folsom, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

I have no complaints about it being hard to find - that's how it goes when traveling. But it definitely won't smack you in the face as you walk by. It is in one of the many quaint ally ways of Barcelona which I love. The architecture was interesting when you walk in although you won't find that in your room. The room itself wasn't amazing but it definitely does the job. Great location. No complaints.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple