“PERFECT FOR A 5 NIGHT STAY IN BARCELONA”
Review of H10 Itaca Hotel

H10 Itaca Hotel
Ranked #185 of 512 Hotels in Barcelona
Sydney, Australia
“PERFECT FOR A 5 NIGHT STAY IN BARCELONA”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I am writing this review whilst staying here , as my body clock is still on aussie time and i have nothing else to dao at 4 am. I am 2 nights into a 5 night stay and i couldnt be happier. This hotel is only 25 euro from the Airport. I think if you have 6 bags as we have( spending 1 month in europe) , that catching a taxi is a much easier option than catching 2 trains and walking 5 - 10 minutes , however if you are travelling light , then catching the train is probably a better option. Checking into the hotel was a breeze and took only 2 minutes. The room itself ( superior room) was fantastic. It was very spacious , chic and modern. It has a very comfortable bed , fridge and mini bar , shower and bath tub and a samsung plasma tv. There is a gym and a jacuzzi on the roof of the hotel , and a plunge pool and sunbeds on the ground floor near reception. I cant remember all the staff members names , however we had the pleasure of dealing alot with a man call MIGEL and a lady called Nairee. I hope i spelt their names right. These 2 people were fantastic in their dealings with us. They were so helpful and informative , and you really can feel that they went above and beyond their call of duty when it came to helping us with our bearings , recomendations on restuarants / beaches / shopping / nightlife etc etc. Honestly , i cant thank them enough. These people are the type of people that one needs , whilst staying in a foreign country. The staff in this hotel really care about their guests. the location of the hotel is so good. 2 minutes and you are at the metro station which takes you everywhere in barcelona. There are alot of tapas bars nearby, there is a huge supermarket attached to the hotel , and the la rambla district is about 15 min walk away.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DavidBasilious

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed August 8, 2012

I like the location of the Itaca Hotel. Easy to go anywhere of Barcelona. The attention is excellent. They are very friendly. Everywhere I went was fantastic and clean and beautiful.
I was sad because there no shopping on sunday. :(

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed August 2, 2012

When we came to hotel and want chek-in there wasn't electricity in the whole hotel.
Elevators, air conditions, were not working.
Luggage room was full.
When we want take our car from the hotel paking, reception staff said that is not impossible.
That was for the start after we had:
loud air condition in the room,
bad tv signal ( a lot of pixels on all chanels)
bad recepcion services,

Good brakfest, and bar services.

We wish you a very nice trip to Barcelona!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank elkapitano
RDato, Director General at H10 Itaca Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for choosing our Hotel during your stay in Barcelona and for sharing your opinion with all TripAdvisor community.

I would like to apologize that your experience with us was not fantastic and enjoyable as you expected when you book with us.

Answering some points of your review I want to comment that usually is forbidden to put the car outside the hotel because this is an regulated street parking area (called Àrea Verda) just for residents and maximum two consecutive hours for non-residents EXCEPT during month of august.

About the troubles on the rest of the Hotel as you see when you came here we was working to change all the hotel and that's why some services wasn't working as normal.

We hope that in the future we can have the opportunity to show you how we work and how we make the stay of our guests in Barcelona an unbelievable experience.

Best regards.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I recently went to Barcelona for a long weekend with friends. Generally we were really pleased with H10 Itaca. Excellent location about a 5-10 min walk from Barcelo Sants (main station) and 5 min walk from Tarragona metro station. There was a mercado supermarket adjacent to the hotel which was really useful we brought water & fruit etc there daily.
On arrival the reception staff were ok but not overly friendly and welcoming but check in was hassle free. The room was a good size and clean, perfect for a city break when you are not planning on spending hours in the hotel. The room was cleaned daily and toiletries replenished.
The main bonus to this hotel is the small terrace & pool area. After a long day treking around Barcelona it was brilliant to go and chill out on the terrace & 'dunking' pool before going out for the evening. The sun stayed on the terrace until approx 7pm.
My only complaint was the renovation work that was going on for the duration of our stay. The reception area kept moving, electrical leads hanging out of the ceiling, the terrace area was having wooden strips drilled into the walls for our first 2 days!! All this aside it did not affect us in our room but at no point did the reception staff apologise for the ongoing work, I would expect this to have been discussed with us at chieck in. I would still stay in this hotel again when back in Barcelona.
We got the T10 metro tickets at the airport as suggested in other reviews (perfect!) but it was also easy to walk around the city. Don't bother getting taxis anywhere they take forever in the traffic!
If looking for a small local restaurant off La Rambla we had an amazing meal in L'Eucaliptus just of the main strip. Excellent food, service and reasonable price.
Finally some reviews commented on the dodgy area the hotel was located in but we never had a problem or felt intimidated walking at night. No different to any other city.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank CharlieLola34
Manchester, England
Reviewed July 23, 2012

When I was choosing where to stay for our 5 nights stay in Barcelona, it was between this one and the Barcelo Sants as prices were similar for B&B and both offers free wi-fi in the room. We decided to go for the H10 after having previously stayed in one of their properties in Punta Cana and really enjoyed their service, now I wished we had gone to the Barcelo instead! The hotel is about 5 minutes walk from Estacio Sants, unlike previous reviewier, I didn't find the area dodgy, and having previously stayed in the city centre area, I would choose this location again next time in Barcelona. Check-in to the hotel was quick, we didn't get served cava on arrival, but I did see the bottle seating next to the check-in desk, maybe due to the time of our arrival (20:30) no one else was there to serve it!

The size of the room is adequate, there is a full size wardrobe with sliding mirror doors, a safe, mini bar and and a big lcd tv with plenty of european channels, including BBC1 and BBC2. You are given a code to access the wi-fi in your room, bearing in mind that you can only sign up one device with the code, not sure if they would give you another code for another device if asked.
Our problems with the hotel started after the second night, during the second night I've noticed while taking a shower that the shower hose was leaking water, so water pressure is not a strong as it could be, so the next morning reported to reception on our way out, came back at around 6:30pm and it wasn't fixed, so called down to reception again to report the problem. Two hours had gone by, no one came up to fix it, so decided to start getting ready to go out for dinner. Next morning, I grabbed the housekeeping maid to show her, didn't have to turn on the shower and she seems to know what I was on about, maybe she noticed it the day before whilst servicing our room, and she said she will report it to maintenance. Surprise, surprise...when we came back late afternoon after the whole day in the beach, again had not been fixed, not just that...no toilet rolls or shower gel replenished either. My husband decided to go down to reception to report it and the maintenance guy was standing there so the reception staff send him up together with my husband to have a look, he came back 5 minutes later to change the shower hose and was fixed within 5 minutes. One thing we never got were the toilet paper and the shower gel that the receptionist promised to bring up! Again, another 2 hours had gone by and still nothing, we decided to take shower with shampoo that we have brought ourselves and get on with the rest of the evening and ask the maid for toilet roll in the morning. The next morning, we saw the maid's trolley and no maid, so decided to grab what we needed from the trolley.

To summarise, shower gel and shampoo was never replenished during our 5 nights stay, toilet rolls only got replenished before our last night, reception and housekeeping staffs are just simply incompetent, the only bright side was breakfast each morning was delicious, love all the fresh different pastries each morning and contrary to other parts of the hotel, F&B staffs actually work really hard to replenish the food and clean tables so that guests don't have to wait long, so well done to them.

And just a little tip, if you are booking the room through a third party website and is giving you the option of continental or full breakfast for higher rate, choose the continental option as the hotel only serves one type of breakfast. Breakfast costs 10euros each if not booked with your room rate.

So, if you are only staying for a couple of nights you should be fine, anything over 2 nights do yourself a favour and book elsewhere!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Boia
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Barcelona was a detour for a 3 day R&R and I loved it. H10 Itaca is perfectly situated to access any means of public transit. It is only 2 city blocks from Sants rail station or subway or tour bus route. It is also located near major street access if you want to walk down Tarragona.
The lobby is well lit, open & respectable. I was offered a glass of complementary Champagne as I waited to organize my paperwork.
Full plus 10* to the Staff ! They were absolutely wonderful, polite, friendly, helpful & interactive.
The room I stayed in had a older retro decor with the dark amber colour woods. True, it could do with an upgrade if one was complelled to stay in.
However I was there to explore the city.
Thus the important variable was cleanliness, which was very good. A comfy bed, crisp sheets, free internet & modern appliances.
The highlight however was the restaraunt. When my day of sight seeing was done @ 9pm, I was delightfully surprised to find the restaraunt open.
The decor depicted classiness. Ambiance was formal. The waitress was formally dressed and impeccable with her service and really sweet.
The meals were top notch gourmet with flamboyant flavors including meats like duck and rabbit and amazing prices and presented on designer style dinnerware.
*Note for 20 Euro, I would have had to pay 80$ for my meal in Canada then add a bottle of wine.. would have been over $120 for my self. BUT my bill was only 30E. I was blown away.
Take my advice, pay the little extra to include your breakfast when booking your room. The selection of fruits, pastries, meats, cheeses, rolls and eggs ...OMG and professionally presented in true culinary artistry.
There was a quaint bar lounge, the bartender was very sociable & friendly. There was a lovely pool... unexplored due to my greater desire to feel the beach.
I am really impressed with the professionalism of this Hotel and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Angel S
, Director General at H10 Itaca Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Dear Mrs.
First of all I would like to thank you for choosing our Hotel during your last stay in Barcelona and special thanks because you share your experience in H10 Itaca with all TripAdvisor community.

I'm glad to know that you really enjoyed your trip to Barcelona and our Hotel was at your expectations.

We wait to see you soon again with us.

Regards.
norwich
Reviewed July 10, 2012

I have no idea how this hotel got so many good reviews, we chose it due to the good trip advisor rating and it seemed very cheap (now we know why).
The hotel is situated not far from the main station (you can walk in about 5 minutes). The area itself is outside of main Barcelona and to be honest is quite dodgy. We had only been there an hour or so, and we went for a walk to find some lunch, there are many druggies, and homeless people who raid the bins and then put it in trolleys. People came up to us twice asking for food at the cafe we sat at. I certainly did not feel safe in the area.
Check in was ok. We went up to our room, which was fine at first glance, not overly trendy but not old fashioned either. We then started to notice the dirt,,and problems (see attached photos). The room was absolutely filthy, and clearly very well used. The table was chipped as was the headboard, there was splash marks all over the headboard (i dread to think what from). The beds have no mattress cover on, so you are protected from hundreds of peoples skin and fluid, by a thin sheet.
The curtain had cigarette burns in, and the floor, wardrobe and every surface with a ledge was filthy. There is absolutely no EXCUSE for having a dirty hotel, I don't care whether it is 50p per night, it should be clean. I could quite happily manage without the minibar, LCD tv and toiletries, but I at least expect a clean room.
So we called the manager, who was young and a tad up himself. He looked at the dirt and said he would call housekeeping. The cleaner came up, slammed her hoover down, and started pushing all our stuff out the way, we tried to show her where exactly was dirty and that it would need more than a hoover, but she was not interested.
They offered us a bottle of Cava (seems to be free everywhere in spain) at reception but we declined, and went to read whilst she cleaned. When we went back up, the table was still filthy, the floor was still filthy...so we called the manager again. He suddenly became incapable of speaking english (Funny how they do that when they are in trouble). And kept saying its been cleaned, its been cleaned. Eventually he came back up to the room, and we showed him the black thick dirt. He then said to us (Wait for it)..." well she only clean where you tell me"" You said clean the tv stand, so she clean the tv stand only. I'm sorry, I thought I was the customer here, since when do I need to tell your housekeeping staff how to do their JOB?!! We were told the hotel is fully booked, totally packed out. But when we started kicking off about the dirt, a room suddenly became available upstairs on the 5th floor. This room was much cleaner although still tired, and had clearly had less use.
Dirt and drama aside, the rooms are more than adequate.

Breakfast is a busy, cramped affair. Food is poor, bacon undercooked, eggs cooked on a dirty grill (quite obvious). Staff seeem to have no awareness of the noise they make, every glass, plate and bowl, is smashed down, clanged together. It's ear shattering!
Lunch..the kitchen is not open in the day, so unless you want some salad, then you need to go out for lunch.
Poool - this is only knee height (not sure why) but the pool area itself is nice and clean and trendy music.Sunbeds uncomfortable, no cushions (not that I used them).
The pool design is a bit daft also, there is no gutter/collection trench, so if anyone splashes a bit, all the water goes over the edge and pours all over the decking (see attached photo).
Dinner - can't comment, as we went into Barcelona itself to eat.
Gym - small, but has running machine and some free weights.
Jacuzzi - didn't use, but went to have a look, looked clean.
Wifi - could not get any service in my room or in reception. There are however, 2 computers and a printer in reception which is helpful.
If you are easy going and don't really care too much, then this hotel is more than adequate for a city break. However, if you travel alot, and appreciate nice hotels, this is not for you!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor, they have been used less, as they seem to fill from the bottom up.