“Stay away if staying more than 2 nights!”
Review of H10 Itaca Hotel

H10 Itaca Hotel
Ranked #181 of 516 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed July 23, 2012

When I was choosing where to stay for our 5 nights stay in Barcelona, it was between this one and the Barcelo Sants as prices were similar for B&B and both offers free wi-fi in the room. We decided to go for the H10 after having previously stayed in one of their properties in Punta Cana and really enjoyed their service, now I wished we had gone to the Barcelo instead! The hotel is about 5 minutes walk from Estacio Sants, unlike previous reviewier, I didn't find the area dodgy, and having previously stayed in the city centre area, I would choose this location again next time in Barcelona. Check-in to the hotel was quick, we didn't get served cava on arrival, but I did see the bottle seating next to the check-in desk, maybe due to the time of our arrival (20:30) no one else was there to serve it!

The size of the room is adequate, there is a full size wardrobe with sliding mirror doors, a safe, mini bar and and a big lcd tv with plenty of european channels, including BBC1 and BBC2. You are given a code to access the wi-fi in your room, bearing in mind that you can only sign up one device with the code, not sure if they would give you another code for another device if asked.
Our problems with the hotel started after the second night, during the second night I've noticed while taking a shower that the shower hose was leaking water, so water pressure is not a strong as it could be, so the next morning reported to reception on our way out, came back at around 6:30pm and it wasn't fixed, so called down to reception again to report the problem. Two hours had gone by, no one came up to fix it, so decided to start getting ready to go out for dinner. Next morning, I grabbed the housekeeping maid to show her, didn't have to turn on the shower and she seems to know what I was on about, maybe she noticed it the day before whilst servicing our room, and she said she will report it to maintenance. Surprise, surprise...when we came back late afternoon after the whole day in the beach, again had not been fixed, not just that...no toilet rolls or shower gel replenished either. My husband decided to go down to reception to report it and the maintenance guy was standing there so the reception staff send him up together with my husband to have a look, he came back 5 minutes later to change the shower hose and was fixed within 5 minutes. One thing we never got were the toilet paper and the shower gel that the receptionist promised to bring up! Again, another 2 hours had gone by and still nothing, we decided to take shower with shampoo that we have brought ourselves and get on with the rest of the evening and ask the maid for toilet roll in the morning. The next morning, we saw the maid's trolley and no maid, so decided to grab what we needed from the trolley.

To summarise, shower gel and shampoo was never replenished during our 5 nights stay, toilet rolls only got replenished before our last night, reception and housekeeping staffs are just simply incompetent, the only bright side was breakfast each morning was delicious, love all the fresh different pastries each morning and contrary to other parts of the hotel, F&B staffs actually work really hard to replenish the food and clean tables so that guests don't have to wait long, so well done to them.

And just a little tip, if you are booking the room through a third party website and is giving you the option of continental or full breakfast for higher rate, choose the continental option as the hotel only serves one type of breakfast. Breakfast costs 10euros each if not booked with your room rate.

So, if you are only staying for a couple of nights you should be fine, anything over 2 nights do yourself a favour and book elsewhere!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Boia
Write a ReviewReviews (1,299)

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Barcelona was a detour for a 3 day R&R and I loved it. H10 Itaca is perfectly situated to access any means of public transit. It is only 2 city blocks from Sants rail station or subway or tour bus route. It is also located near major street access if you want to walk down Tarragona.
The lobby is well lit, open & respectable. I was offered a glass of complementary Champagne as I waited to organize my paperwork.
Full plus 10* to the Staff ! They were absolutely wonderful, polite, friendly, helpful & interactive.
The room I stayed in had a older retro decor with the dark amber colour woods. True, it could do with an upgrade if one was complelled to stay in.
However I was there to explore the city.
Thus the important variable was cleanliness, which was very good. A comfy bed, crisp sheets, free internet & modern appliances.
The highlight however was the restaraunt. When my day of sight seeing was done @ 9pm, I was delightfully surprised to find the restaraunt open.
The decor depicted classiness. Ambiance was formal. The waitress was formally dressed and impeccable with her service and really sweet.
The meals were top notch gourmet with flamboyant flavors including meats like duck and rabbit and amazing prices and presented on designer style dinnerware.
*Note for 20 Euro, I would have had to pay 80$ for my meal in Canada then add a bottle of wine.. would have been over $120 for my self. BUT my bill was only 30E. I was blown away.
Take my advice, pay the little extra to include your breakfast when booking your room. The selection of fruits, pastries, meats, cheeses, rolls and eggs ...OMG and professionally presented in true culinary artistry.
There was a quaint bar lounge, the bartender was very sociable & friendly. There was a lovely pool... unexplored due to my greater desire to feel the beach.
I am really impressed with the professionalism of this Hotel and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Angel S
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Dear Mrs.
First of all I would like to thank you for choosing our Hotel during your last stay in Barcelona and special thanks because you share your experience in H10 Itaca with all TripAdvisor community.

I'm glad to know that you really enjoyed your trip to Barcelona and our Hotel was at your expectations.

We wait to see you soon again with us.

Regards.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

I have no idea how this hotel got so many good reviews, we chose it due to the good trip advisor rating and it seemed very cheap (now we know why).
The hotel is situated not far from the main station (you can walk in about 5 minutes). The area itself is outside of main Barcelona and to be honest is quite dodgy. We had only been there an hour or so, and we went for a walk to find some lunch, there are many druggies, and homeless people who raid the bins and then put it in trolleys. People came up to us twice asking for food at the cafe we sat at. I certainly did not feel safe in the area.
Check in was ok. We went up to our room, which was fine at first glance, not overly trendy but not old fashioned either. We then started to notice the dirt,,and problems (see attached photos). The room was absolutely filthy, and clearly very well used. The table was chipped as was the headboard, there was splash marks all over the headboard (i dread to think what from). The beds have no mattress cover on, so you are protected from hundreds of peoples skin and fluid, by a thin sheet.
The curtain had cigarette burns in, and the floor, wardrobe and every surface with a ledge was filthy. There is absolutely no EXCUSE for having a dirty hotel, I don't care whether it is 50p per night, it should be clean. I could quite happily manage without the minibar, LCD tv and toiletries, but I at least expect a clean room.
So we called the manager, who was young and a tad up himself. He looked at the dirt and said he would call housekeeping. The cleaner came up, slammed her hoover down, and started pushing all our stuff out the way, we tried to show her where exactly was dirty and that it would need more than a hoover, but she was not interested.
They offered us a bottle of Cava (seems to be free everywhere in spain) at reception but we declined, and went to read whilst she cleaned. When we went back up, the table was still filthy, the floor was still filthy...so we called the manager again. He suddenly became incapable of speaking english (Funny how they do that when they are in trouble). And kept saying its been cleaned, its been cleaned. Eventually he came back up to the room, and we showed him the black thick dirt. He then said to us (Wait for it)..." well she only clean where you tell me"" You said clean the tv stand, so she clean the tv stand only. I'm sorry, I thought I was the customer here, since when do I need to tell your housekeeping staff how to do their JOB?!! We were told the hotel is fully booked, totally packed out. But when we started kicking off about the dirt, a room suddenly became available upstairs on the 5th floor. This room was much cleaner although still tired, and had clearly had less use.
Dirt and drama aside, the rooms are more than adequate.

Breakfast is a busy, cramped affair. Food is poor, bacon undercooked, eggs cooked on a dirty grill (quite obvious). Staff seeem to have no awareness of the noise they make, every glass, plate and bowl, is smashed down, clanged together. It's ear shattering!
Lunch..the kitchen is not open in the day, so unless you want some salad, then you need to go out for lunch.
Poool - this is only knee height (not sure why) but the pool area itself is nice and clean and trendy music.Sunbeds uncomfortable, no cushions (not that I used them).
The pool design is a bit daft also, there is no gutter/collection trench, so if anyone splashes a bit, all the water goes over the edge and pours all over the decking (see attached photo).
Dinner - can't comment, as we went into Barcelona itself to eat.
Gym - small, but has running machine and some free weights.
Jacuzzi - didn't use, but went to have a look, looked clean.
Wifi - could not get any service in my room or in reception. There are however, 2 computers and a printer in reception which is helpful.
If you are easy going and don't really care too much, then this hotel is more than adequate for a city break. However, if you travel alot, and appreciate nice hotels, this is not for you!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor, they have been used less, as they seem to fill from the bottom up.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank ambernectar85
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Dear Sirs,
Firstly we would like to thank you very much for taking your time to share your experience in our hotel with the TripAdvisor community.

I would like to express deepest apologies from me and all other hotel staff members that your stay with us was not as satisfactory as it has been for all other of our guests.
We would like to inform you, that we have taken a note of all the problems that occurred to ensure that they will not happen again.

H10 Hotels is a chain with many years of experience and the existence of Hotel H10 Itaca is based on the quality of service provided to our customers and as such it is reflected in the vast majority of opinions from our guests. Furthermore, the quality of service in our hotel is certified by ISO 9001 and H10 Quality Program.

Once again, we are very sorry for not having been able to satisfy your expectations.

Yours sincerely.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

We were staying in Barcelona for 2 nights before heading to Girona. We had a very easy time travelling with our cases from the airport to the hotel. It was only 3 stops to the station near the hotel and then a 5 min walk to the hotel. Transport throughout the city on the metro was great. Back to the station for our train to Girona. Couldn't have been easier.

The hotel staff were very helpful with metro and Barcelona maps. We were greeted with a glass of cava. The room was great and mini bar available. The pool was small but nice to have after a long day sightseeing!

I would return to this hotel. It was perfect for our needs.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lisbeg
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 4 night city break in May, we went to Barcelona for the Grand Prix, therefore this hotel was perfect for us as it is right beside the main SANTS station. The hotel is lovely, rooms were a little small but very well finished. The pool area was just opened when we arrived and this made a lovely addition to a city hotel. Barcelona city centre is just 3 stops on the metro away, we were close to a range of local attractions. Parc Montjuic is 5 min walk from hotel. Staff were very helpful and the bar area was most pleasant to relax in. To top it all off there is a jacuzzi on the roof!! A must!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights at the hotel, although we did wait some time to check in and then into the wrong room, we did have a great time. TOP breakfast, lovely girl serving on the bar, reception team not very attentive or friendly though. Clean well air-conditioned rooms, we would definitely return :)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2012

My friend and I have recently stayed at this hotel (23-26Jun2012) and were totally amazed with the hotel. The staff were excellent, very friendly and helpful. Although it was difficult for some of the staff to speak English (and to be fair we knew very little Catalunian/Spanish) they always managed to get the answers we needed. The restaurant and bar staff were also extremely friendly and did everything they could to help you.

The hotel is situated very close to Sants Station, making it an ideal base for you. RENFE train service from the Airport takes around 20 minutes, and the walk from the station is only around 5 minutes. From the train station you can also get the Metro to other localities in Barcelona.

The rooms were spotlessly clean and we got fresh towels and toiletries each day (excellent if you are travelling light). The only downside was the slight smell of smoke in the bedroom, although it didn't put us off. The breakfast/restaurant area is very well organized. Although we didn't have any meals at the hotel, other than breakfast, we must comment that the breakfast was fabulous, with a huge choice for all concerned. The hotel even catered for people with dairy allergies, and had both soya milk and soya yogurts on offer. The pool area I believe has only just been completed. The pool wasn't overly large, but adequate for a quick dip (not good if you are an olymic swimmer however). The roof-top jacuzzi is an added bonus to this hotel.

All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. We have even started to plan our return next Summer, although it has to be a longer stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends