“Good Hotel with Pleasent Staff”

Barcelona Universal Hotel
Ranked #79 of 512 Hotels in Barcelona
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Good Hotel with Pleasent Staff”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Stayed at the Universal for a weekend in Barcelona and it gave us everything that we needed.
The Location is a real plus factor with everything within easy walking distance or a quick tube ride away.
The staff were all very pleasent and gave us lots of good tips for the best way to get around and also advise on getting your tickets booked and printed in advance by the Hotel, this must have saved us a very long time in queues especially for the Basilica de la Sagrada Familia.
The rooms were clean and decent but without giving you the wow factor, breakfast was excellent and would highly recommend to include it with your stay.
Overall I would say this is a very good Hotel and an excellent base to explore Barcelona and would highly recommend

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
RobertoCifuentes, Director General at Barcelona Universal Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Your feedback is important and of great value to us. It helps us to assess our work trying to improve ourselves and set new targets.
I sincerely thank you very much.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (714)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tweed Heads, Australia
Reviewed June 22, 2014

The hotel is extremely comfortable and ideally situated for sightseeing. The staff were most helpful, friendly and professional. The manager was incredibly helpful when my husband unfortunately had his wallet stolen on the Metro

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Best regards.
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 22, 2014

This hotel is fine. Everything is clean and the staff are all very good, particularly those working the door. The location is very good, convenient for basically everything you want downtown and for the beach (amply served by taxis, a metro station, and bus stops). There are some great restaurants within one-hundred feet. The problem is... it's just not worth how much you pay. Our room, for instance, had adjacent construction from 8am everyday (which I would accept if warned of); the shower rail fell down every time we used it; the air-conditioning was bad; our interior facing room got effectively no natural light at all; and although booked as a couple's holiday, we were given two single beds which we had to push together ourselves.

There is nothing gratuitously bad about this hotel, and there are redeeming features, but you are paying for location and nothing else. Dependable like an international chain, but disappointing to say the least.

Room Tip: Avoid interior facing or courtyard rooms, they are depressing and get no natural light on the lower...
1 Thank Jack H
Thanks for your opinion, during your stay we never received claims about air conditioning it is really strange and I am surprised otherwise please accept my apologies if it was not working satisfactory for you I will take care personally. Please understand that we are not responsible about street works.

Thanks again and best regards.
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Stayed here from April 13th to April 17th 2014, and my husband and I and my sister could not fault the hotel or the staff. Very helpful and the hotel was clean. We will stay again. Super efficient. Very near lass Rambles and we were able to use the metro or walk to any part of the city from outside the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Helen c
Once again thank you very much for your writing. It is very important to us that our guests are satisfied and their acknowledgment helps us keeping this mission. We appreciate your words and thank you for choosing us for your stay in Barcelona.
Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Can't think of anything bad to say about this hotel…. Good location (10 minutes to Ramblas or port, lots of places to eat and drink nearby), excellent transport links (metro outside front door), lovely room (very comfortable and clean), fantastic staff (very helpful and friendly), great breakfast (loads of choice, fresh and tasty, sets you up for the day), great views from rooftop terrace with pool. Highly recommended, we will be staying here again…...

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank GraemeandVanda
We use our best efforts so that our guests are satisfied during their stay. Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion with other people; this is the best gift we can ask for. Best regards and thank you from the entire staff of our Hotel. (Thank you.)
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I want to preface by saying that I have been in many hotels in North America and China, but never in Europe until I went to Barcelona, so I can't compare this to other European hotels. In the past, of my top 2 hotels would include the Holiday Inn Express in Boston; my taste isn't expensive.

First, the rooms have almost zero sound proofing. I'm ok with loud streets or low droning noises, but I am a very light sleeper and I haven't had a single uninterrupted night of sleep for the 7 days due to noise from inside the hotel (and the AC). Doors closing from adjacent room produce a very loud bang that rattles the walls. Talking from the next room is loud enough that it is as if it were coming from our bathroom with a closed door. My expectation is not that every hotel should have some sound proofing but for a four star hotel with such high reviews, I expected better.

Second, the AC control panel was not working. I would turn the AC on, then after a random interval of 2-3 hours, it would shut off. I would wake up sweaty in the middle of the night every 3 hours just to turn it back on. I contacted the staff and they said they would get someone to check it out. It was still broken afterwards, but since it would be a difficult problem to troubleshoot, I don't really fault the hotel for it. I just slept with no blankets, which I dislike as it increases the risk of Boogeyman attacks.

Thirdly, I had some beef with the washroom. The glass cups lay DIRECTLY on the bathroom counter. Whenever I imagine someone cleaning a bathroom, I just assume they use the same cleaning utensil for the toilet seat as they do with the counter (if you think that is an absolute impossibility, you've never worked in the service industry). I would expect they would place a cheap 10c paper coaster on for the glass. Furthermore, one of my towels had a huge dark stain in the middle. Was it wine? blood? stool? Who knows. Pretty gross. Also, the water in the toilet was really far down, so there was extreme splashback of likes I've never had before. Also gross but not really their fault.

Fourthly (that's a word?), our room was really dark because it faced an apartment about 5 meters away so we had to shut the blinds. This is not that big of a deal though.

Now for some of the plusses.

The location was very convenient, it's right next to a train station and very downtown. Some of the adjacent streets can be very sketchy at night. In fact one of the streets San Pau, was warned by Lonely Planet to be sketchy (but not dangerous).

The staff were all really nice and helpful. I had issues but they were always courteous and professional. I would give them 6/5 stars for this. They all spoke very good English.

The floor was not carpet, but probably laminate, which is nice for a hotel.

Except for the mystery stain mentioned above, it was very clean.

The value is good for what you get, so I would consider returning. But I would also look for other options first.

1 Thank Johnny W
United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2014

This ticked all of boxes.
Fantastic location, fantastic room and amazingly helpful staff who couldn't help enough.
Fab roof top view from our room which was immaculately clean and tidy.
Every day it was serviced and left spotless.
No tea or coffee in our room but not a great issue to us as we got up and went straight for breakfast.
Rosealie the bar tender in the evenings makes an art of drink making.
The reception staff went over and above normal standards in their help and advice for touring the city. Bernie the door man always had a smile on his face to greet you and enquire about your day.
On our last day we left our cases safe and locked away throughout the day .when we returned we were encouraged to use the facilities on the roof top to shower and freshen up which contained fresh towels, shower gel and a hair dryer with plenty of space to rummage around in my case and place in last minute purchases!

1 Thank Tintedlove
For us it is a challenge trying to improve every day. I would like to thank you personally for the time spent writing to us, as well as for choosing our hotel for your stay in the city. Thank you very much.