My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights for an anniversary break; we had visited the city previously for a day trip and had chosen to return so that we could explore properly.
The hotel is in a perfect location, the metro line directly outside, ten minutes walk to La Ramblas one way and 15 minutes walk to Playa Espania the other. We chose to use a taxi from the airport to the hotel as we arrived late which cost 28 euros. Returning to the airport we took the aerobus which left from Playa Espania which cost 5,20 euros single per person and took 20 minutes.
The hotel was definitely worthy of 4 stars and clean and modern. The rooms were very nice, we had a standard room which was plenty big enough for us. We had emailed the hotel before travelling to request a higher room, which they accommodated our request and gave us a room on the 7th floor. Our room was at the back and had a view of the top of the buildings in the city. If we had been in a room lower down the view would have been much different- washing lines and residential balconies. The walls were very thin and you can hear the neighbouring rooms but only really at the busiest times of day, such as in the mornings. The only downside to the room was that the only English TV channel was music or the news, didn't bother us too much as we hadn't come to watch TV but would have been nice to have the option for an afternoon rest to watch the box for a while. The cleaners also came when it suited them, one day the room wasn't done until 2:30pm and the next they woke us up by banging and opening our door at 9:30 am.
When we paid for our trip it included breakfast which was adequate enough, but on saying that I would not pay the 15 euros per head if they had charged for it. LOTS of small cafes on Av Parallel to have a reasonably priced breakfast. Also had a hitch when our breakfast was not showing up as being included which resulted in a semi showdown with a very rude waiter. We spoke to management to resolve this yet still had the same problem the following morning. After yet another word with management this was resolved by morning number 3. We didn't have any other meals at the hotel so couldn't comment on the evening food but it smelt lovely and seemed reasonably priced.
Staff were all lovely, couldn't do enough to help you and the manager was excellent at his job and aimed to please.
All in all a wonderful trip with very few hitches and we are planning to visit Barcelona again and we will definitely be staying at the Barcelona Universal Hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Strategically located just a five-minute walk from Las Ramblas, Hotel Barcelona Universal grants its guests easy access to all parts of the city. Metro lines 2 and 3 stop just outside the main entrance, at “Paral·lel,” and nearby buses can take you to the beaches of Barcelona, Park Güell, and anywhere in between. A stroll from our hotel near Las Ramblas will take you to some of Barcelona’s favorite tourist attractions.Hotel opened in 2001 and renewed in 2011.Hotel Barcelona Universal has 167 rooms, each equipped with free Wi-Fi Internet. Three “Barcelona Skyline Suites” feature a Jacuzzi and private terrace. Families and larger groups may be accommodated in triple or superior rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, TravelClick, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Orbitz, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Barcelona Universal Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Universal Barcelona
- Hotel Barcelona Universal
- Barcelona Universal Hotel Catalonia