“Fantastic hotel with fantastic staff”

Barcelona Universal Hotel
Ranked #75 of 514 Hotels in Barcelona
Preston
“Fantastic hotel with fantastic staff”
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for the weekend of 23rd March for my girlfriends birthday. Although I didn't tell the staff why we were in Barcelona the noticed it was my girlfriends birthday at checking and upgraded is free of charge. I'm sure the room we paid for would've been fantastic but the upgrade we got was amazing. New room was bigger than our flat with jacuzzi and terrace!

Hotel is clean, really conveniently located with fantastic staff. I pickedthis mainly because of the excellent reviews on trip advisor and our more than lived up to what I read here.

Definitley worth it!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Dave M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (709)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Northern Ireland
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights last October before we went on a cruise departing Barcelona. Hotel very clean & modern and in a great location beside the metro. Buffet breakfast was included and was typical Spanish holiday fare..But service was good and food was ok to start your day.
On the roof you had a nice spot to sunbathe as well as a small pool and nice views over Barcelona.
Within walking distance of shopping, marina and Barcelona Aquarium which helped us enjoy our stay. Not impressed with the choice of eating around the hotel and the hotel menu was not great and was expensive. However around the corner we found "August" and we ate there both nights (separate review) and very good.
Would stay here again..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hilden73
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Great getaway in the center of everything loved the stay and quality of staff they were more than helpful in finding anything and anywhere the blu museam is a must and if your a true fan passio museam is nice if not walk the streets and go to the many markets

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

A group of us girls were on a hen weekend and spent 3 nights in this hotel.

Check in was quick and efficient.

Rooms were well decorated and bright.

We came in very Kate on the Sunday night and started heading up to our rooms whispering and tiptoeing.

We are mostly married mothers so were pretty sensible.

The door man followed us up continuously making shhhhh noises at us which was hilarious as he was making more noise than us!!

I thought this was good because if I'd been there with my family and there were rowdy parties staying then I'd be appreciative that he was so thorough at manning the hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2013

My Boyfriend and I have recently returned from the beautiful city of Barcelona, we stayed the 17th-21st of March 2013! We had never been to Barcelona, and booked the hotel based on the reviews we read here which were very helpful. We bought our metro/bus tickets beforehand online when we booked the trip through Expedia, which enabled us easy access from the airport to the hotel, and all over the city. We caught the train from the airport (very easy) and then a metro one stop to Para lel, right outside the hotel!

Check in was great, and we had a fab room, having paid for a standard double, we definitely got the biggest room on that floor (702) at the front of the hotel. The only problem we encountered was the hairdryer was broken on arrival, and i hadn't packed one to save space, but on calling reception it was fixed by the next morning whilst we were at breakfast! Breakfast was good, they serve it til 11am which is great if you fancy a lie in... they have cereals, yoghurts, cooked breakfast and pastries that were included in our booking, which is the cheapest was to do it. The Para lel metro was on the green line, which was the main line to get to all the shops, seafront and la ramblas!

*We did the 2 day bus tour - buy your ticket in advance at an information booth as you get a discount booklet with it that gives you money off for restaurants, shopping, the aquarium, the cable car and more!! Absolutely fab and worth the 34 euros we paid!*

The location of this hotel is amazing, and we didn't feel insecure in the slightest- more like one of the locals hopping on and off the metro! :)

Book this trip and hotel now, you certainly won't regret it!

Room Tip: Had no noise problems in a room at the front of the hotel, as we requested a higher floor! Ask for r...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GinaBucc
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is the the second time I have stayed at this hotel, and did not dsappoint once again, I would recommend to others and many thanks to the reception who booked a restaurant for our first night in the city

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back for less noise than the main les Parallel view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Suzpea
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Me and my boyfriend live in Barcelona at the moment on a yacht, so we booked a weekend at a hotel for a mini break, which we have done a few times before. Upon check in at Hotel Barcelona, we were asked for our passports, which we do not carry with us; our captain has them locked in a safe. Right away the man helping us started shaking his head, saying no no no no no. We gave him our other ID's which have all of our passport information on them, as well as credit cards, and other photo ID from each of our countries. He turned us away. He said "we can't check you in". We had already paid for the room on hotels.com so of course, my boyfriend protested. He listed the other hotels in Barcelona we had been to, all of which didn't require our passports. He told us more about customs and what he has to do, and how it is illegal what the other hotels are doing. It was just going too far, so my boyfriend asked him to just stop talking and check us in. He started the process with my boyfriends drivers license, while pacing back and forth muttering things in Spanish and shaking his head. When I told him that I can see him doing this, and I didn't think it's very good customer service, he apologized, but kept doing it! Then he proceeded in the most patronizing tone, to tell us that we just don't understand, we don't get it... But the frustrating part is that he did it all anyways, with only the drivers license! Then he said I needed to provide ID as the 2nd guest, but wouldn't take my drivers license. So my boyfriend said, "fine, then change the reservation to just 1 guest, and this is just my friend visiting". The whole 15 minutes just didn't make sense at all. We finally overcame all of this and got to our room which was quite depressing, in a corner next to the noisy elevator shaft. The next morning after the average brunch - it was alright but not worth 15 euros - we asked to move rooms. The man at the desk was quite helpful. He switched our rooms and moved all of our luggage while we were out. He asked again for my ID for the reservation, I simply told him I didn't have my passport, and then provided him with a Canadian ID which he said was perfectly acceptable. Our new room was much nicer. All in all, this wasn't a bad stay, but the check in process was so unnecessary and not handled in a proper fashion, especially for a hotel employee. We looked at our reservation confirmation and it was clearly stated that only a government ID was needed for check in, not "ONLY a passport". Our weekend, after a difficult work week, didn't start off the way we wanted it to, but I have to say it was really only because of this one man who we unfortunately had to deal with.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room in the corners. We eventually got a street facing room, and although there was s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple