I'm actually still staying at this hotel as we speak. Taking a break from the day's activities to write a review. I've stayed at this hotel many times over the years, and you can't go wrong. The rooms are spotless, the staff is very friendly and helpful. I requested a room with a terrace so I could smoke outside (all rooms are "non-smoking" in theory anyway). My request was honored. The water pressure in the shower is terrific, almost too much really. I don't care for the way they shove two twin beds together to make a king, but that seems to be the norm in Europe.
The neighborhood....ah, what can I say. I want to really describe this neighborhood for people in detail. The hotel seems to be on the edge of a poorer immigrant neighborhood. There are a lot of people from N Africa and the Middle East walking around. I have usually felt safe enough, but I understand some people might not like the area. I come from Chicago, so this neighborhood is actually childsplay compared to some of ours back home. There don't seem to gun-slinging bang bangers here, but some of the young men milling about do look like they are casing tourists to pick pocket. Frankly I feel a little more vulnerable walking around Las Ramblas. You really are a walking theft target there.
Having said all of that, the metro station is literally 10 steps from the front door of this hotel. This is a very convenient base of operation for tourism in Barcelona. And, the rooms are quite nice by "American standards."
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Strategically located just a five-minute walk from Las Ramblas, Hotel Barcelona Universal grants its guests easy access to all parts of the city. Metro lines 2 and 3 stop just outside the main entrance, at “Paral·lel,” and nearby buses can take you to the beaches of Barcelona, Park Güell, and anywhere in between. A stroll from our hotel near Las Ramblas will take you to some of Barcelona’s favorite tourist attractions.Hotel opened in 2001 and renewed in 2011.Hotel Barcelona Universal has 167 rooms, each equipped with free Wi-Fi Internet. Three “Barcelona Skyline Suites” feature a Jacuzzi and private terrace. Families and larger groups may be accommodated in triple or superior rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, TravelClick, Agoda, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Barcelona Universal Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Universal Barcelona
- Hotel Barcelona Universal
- Barcelona Universal Hotel Catalonia