“Nice hotel but unfriendly staff ”

Melia Barcelona Sarria
Ranked #130 of 521 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersGold level
Bangkok, Thailand
“Nice hotel but unfriendly staff ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Went to stay in this hotel last year and was very happy with everything until the last day. One of the staff was accidentally put coffee on my shirt (Hugo Boss EU120). It was fine because they are happy to do the laundry service for me. However, the problem was i have to go back home that day in the afternoon and i need them to send it to the airport. Everything seem to be ok but later the front desk called me and ask me to come and pick it up, otherwise they can charge on my credit card for the transfer (the way they spoke to me wasn't very nice). What???? I took a taxi back to the hotel (paid by myself). Overall the hotel is nice but may be not for me.

Stayed March 2557

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Modiin, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

We stayed in the hotel for 4 nights in march 2014. We are family with 3 kids. I contact the hotel directly by mail and got a quick answer with a suggestion to take 2 rooms with connecting door. I booked, although I was a little bit concern with reviews mentioned the distance from the center is big.
To my opinion the hotel location is good. Family trip to Barcelona takes you across the city and not only to La Rambla. Near the hotel are some bus stations to everywhere you need. The hotel staff will explain everything. The Camp Nou is about 20 minutes walk. Big taxi for 5 people from La Rambla to the hotel will be around 15 Euros.
The hotel staff is very proffesional. Our rooms were good and big, it seems bathrooms were recently renovated. Breakfast is excellent.
We will return there next time and I'm happy to recommend this hotel to anyone including families.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Eyal313
HOTEL_MELIABARCELONA, Guest Experience Assistant at Melia Barcelona Sarria, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
We really appreciate your positive comments. We are delighted to know that you and your family have had a nice stay in our hotel.

The best reward for our job is welcoming you again and knowing that you are going to recomend us.

Kindest Regards

Jorge Robles

Guest Experience Assistant
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

I don't know what is going on with the training of the hotel staff but it borders on incompetence. I stayed in their Jakarta branch and it's was good so I thought I decided this would be the same caliber boy was I wrong.

I was expecting someone to meet me in the hotel and informed front desk. When my guest arrived, they said no one with my name was registered at the hotel. And I had booked two rooms, for a week! OK, everyone makes mistakes so I decided it was no big deal.

My week was almost up and I had a lot of laundry and asked where the nearest coin laundry was. Front desk smiled and said that in Spain this does not exist and I can have my laundry done through the hotel at an incredible cost. I thought this was unlikely and did a quick Google search and found several laundry services. Now I was starting to get peeved.

On my last day I left my spare key at the front desk in an envelope with the name of the person to pick it up. They assured me they will take care of it, OK so no problem. I later found out when that person arrived it took quite a bit of time to get the key because, first I was not checked in there, AGAIN. Next, I did not leave anything at the front desk. Really?! How can staff be this incompetent?

On the bright side, the breakfast was quite decent. You just need to stand by the entrance for a while before someone gets your room number. Or you can do what I did and just walk in and serve yourself. It's not like anyone will notice.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Joseton
HOTEL_MELIABARCELONA, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Barcelona Sarria, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
In first place we would like to thank and appreciate the time you have taken to send us your comments which with no doubt help us to improve our guest satisfaction and quality service.

We really apologize for the misunderstandings you experienced during your last stay. We have analyzed and taken actions on this situation not to fail again and make any mistake.

On behalf of all our staff we thank you again for your comments and we hope you give us the opportunity to welcome you again and offer you our top level service we are used to offering to all our guest. We can assure you that it has been an isolated case.

Thank you very much for your understanding and comprehension and please do not hesitate to contact me, It will be my pleasure to assist you in anything you could need.

Kind regards,

Alexis Mazorra Sánchez
Guest Experience Manager- Meliá Barcelona Sarrià
Washington Dc, District Of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

Clean, Beautiful, Eloquent with a great helpful and friendly staff for a first time international traveler. They spoke English very easily and helped me with all of my needs. The rooms were fantastic and if I am in the city again I will definitely be returning here.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

2 Thank James N
HOTEL_MELIABARCELONA, Guest Experience Assistant at Melia Barcelona Sarria, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
We really appreciate your time and your comments.

We are delighted to know that we have contribuated on your " first nice Experience" as an International traveler.

We are looking forward to welcoming you in your next visit to Barcelona.

Kind Regards,

Jorge Robles
Guest Experience Assistant
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

This is a good business hotel with good business rooms and hotel rooms. It is about 20 minutes from the port area. So if this is what you are looking for it is grand hotel but if you want to be close to the action areas in Barca then this will not be for you.

Room Tip: City view rooms better and go for higher floors to see whole city
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank G O
HOTEL_MELIABARCELONA, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Barcelona Sarria, responded to this review, March 19, 2014
We really appreciate your positive comments.

We are delighted to know that our hotel has adapted to your "business needs" and that you have had a nice stay with us.

We are looking forward to Welcome you in your next visit to Barcelona

Kind regards

Alexis Mazorra
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

This is an excellent hotel for a small conference or a business stay. Well designed, friendly, spacious, good breakfast. It's just outside those areas you'd visit as a tourist, so I probably wouldn't choose it if I were travelling for pleasure.

But i would stay again very happily on a busness trip.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
We really appreciate your time and your comments.

We are delighted to know that you have had a nice stay and meeting at our hotel. We will inform our events staff of your congratulations.

We are looking forward to welcoming you in your next visit to Barcelona

Alexis Mazorra
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

Staying at the Melià Sarrià is not recommended. The hotel is not your usual 5 star- I'd rate it 4 at best. Nice reception area, rooms are average but nothing 'special'. We were looking forward to using the pool and relaxation area but were told that we would have to pay €20 extra per person to use it! We have never stayed at a 'five' star where guests have had to pay extra to use the jacuzzi and sauna! We complained to the receptionist whose level of customer service stretched to 'you should have read the website more carefully'. Well done Melià group! Plenty more hotels in Barcelona.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
HOTEL_MELIABARCELONA, Guest Experience Manager at Melia Barcelona Sarria, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
First of all we would like to thank you for having chosen Meliá Barcelona Sarrià for your last stay and also for having taken some of your valuable time to send us your comments, it is only through listening carefully to the comments and suggestions of our customers, that we will be able to achieve the constant improvement, guest satisfaction and quality service that we strive for.

We would like, and we would appreciate if you could give us the opportunity to welcome you again It is my pleasure and Our colleagues will certainly look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back, all our staff will be pleased to offer you our high quality professional service.

We keep entire at your service and please do not hesitate to contact us for anything you might need.

Kind regards,