“In the heart of everything.....”

Le Meridien Barcelona
Ranked #114 of 520 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The Le Meridien Hotel is right on the las Ramblas.....that's the good and the bad. At times it can be just over whelming place to be especially during soccer games as everyone heads to the ramblas. The hotel is somewhere between an upscale hotel that is and wants to be. I left there not know which way I felt. The staff was accomodating but honestly during the time I was there they were packed and so even though I am a starwood gold member, they said that there was nothing they could do to put me in a larger room. However, when I offered them more points, oh amazingly they had all kinds of options. For my standards therefore, the normal deluxe rooms are too small and the bathrooms as well. Barcelona is a crazy place and filled with all kinds of people so if you stay here you need to be very aware of your surroundings. As it is on the Ramblas you will have all kinds of people here trying to take your money and offer you things, late at night especially. However, it is a great location to sightsee and to walk from to see parts of the old town. It is two blocks to the famous market and that is a great place to get something to eat.
As it was my first trip to Barcelona I discovered a lot that I will use on my return. For my taste, I would probably stay in the Eixample area like the Omm Hotel which has a great bar on the roof with amazing views of the city. Its more of the high end area of Barcelona and away from the maddening crowds of Las Rambla yet only a five minute subway ride. One other piece of advice....avoid Spain in August! Brutually hot and Barcelona is very humid.

Room Tip: Wish I could tell you how to get a good room but I did not succeed!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank platinum4life
Write a ReviewReviews (2,590)

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Overall, we were a little disappointed with this hotel. While it's location was great we found the staff average and the room mediocre {aside from the bathroom, which was spectacular!}. We arrived for a few days post cruise and were there early, naturally our room was not ready. However, when we returned and it was PAST normal check in time, the front desk acted like they were doing us a favor in giving us our room. When it came to finding out about making calls they were a little all over the place and not very knowledgable about their own hotels policies. If we decide to visit Barcelona again we would definitely try somewhere new.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lauren S
GDS07, General Manager at Le Meridien Barcelona, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you very much for expressing your opinion and giving us thereby useful feedback.

I am happy that you also addressed some negative points, because they reveal our improvement points.
Even if this time, we could not meet all your expectations and you experienced unusual service, we hope you give us another chance to show you that we normally serve a higher level of service!

I honestly apologize for any inconveniences that occurred and hope to get the opportunity to prove you wrong and welcome you again some other time in the future!

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Beautiful hotel and the room was really modern and wonderful and CLEAN! The spa is super small and I had a massage treatment that was pretty good. The hotel is in the most amazing location. One of the best hotels I was in when I was in Europe! I would definitely stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us. Your feedback helps us to improve the service we deliver and therefore every single comment is worth a lot!

Our Explore Spa Studio with it's tretaments it is becoming a must. I'm happy that not only you have been able to experience but also to give us your feedback.

When you come back to Barcelona, I would be happy to welcome you back to our hotel where everything that counts in Barcelona is at walking distance from us.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed at Le Meridien for 2 nights in September 2012. Le Meridien is right on La Rambla is a very nice part of the street. Great walking area. Nice stroll to the port area. Many great restaurants to choose from. Our room 341 was on the back of the hotel and very quiet. The usual excellent amenities you expect from Le Meridien. Great bed and linens. Fantastic shower and bathroom with ample counter space. Walter at the front desk went out of his way to help us. All of the staff was friendly and knowledgeable. We were there during the biggest festival of the year and could watch the parade go by from the lobby. Taxi ride to the airport early on Monday took less than 30 minutes for 38 euros.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank GoWithGrace

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you very much for expressing your opinion and giving us thereby useful feedback! Your positive comments encourage our team to go further and work harder in order to ensure a marvelous stay in our hotel!

Yes all team menbers are great assets to our hotel. if you don't mind I will pass on the great comments about their level of service

It was a pleasure to have you at our hotel and if you ever feel like coming back to Barcelona, we would be honored to welcome you in our hotel once again.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We are currently staying at Le Meridien. The location is obviously excellent. The woman who checked us in was friendly. We are SPG gold and did not receive any upgrade. The room is clean and comfortable. We are not facing Las Ramblas and there is no street noise. The gym is small and dated. The spa is also very small. I booked a treatment. If the therapists are in a session, there is no one to greet guests. I thought at first I was in the wrong place. The sauna and steam room are coed. My husband and I booked two rooms using our points, as we are traveling with friends. We are both SPG gold members, but were told by the less friendly receptionist checking our friends in that the second room could not receive the Gold amenity of free internet unless my husband or I split up and one of us stayed in the second room. We said fine. This is ridiculous considering it does not cost the hotel any additional money to offer Internet. Overall, I expected more from the Le Meridien brand. I travel extensively. Maybe I have been spoiled by excellent genuinely friendly service in other hotels. Le Meridienis adequate but I would not stay again.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michelle L

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you very much for sharing the useful feedback with us.

I am aware that the personal contact with guests is one of the most important factors that influence the experience of our guests. Therefore, it is sad to hear that this could not be delivered to the level of expectations.

Your feedback is nothing but helpful for us, because it encourages us to improve next time. We will take good note of your comments regarding our Explore SPA Studio but unfortunatly due to the size limitations of our historical building there is very little we can do at the size level.

If you come back to Barcelona, it would be great if you would give us another chance to show what we can real deliver to ones experience while in Barcelona

Reviewed September 23, 2012

This is the perfect hotel for the first time sightseer in Barcelona. I cashed in Starwood points and used suite upgrades for a recent stay in Barcelona prior to a Med cruise (making cost no issue; hotel rates are comparable to upscale hotels in the area). It is a very nice hotel with an ideal location. Our prestige suite was wonderful. Large and roomy, especially for a European hotel, our suite had a living area window overlooking Las Ramblas. The Catalunya metro station, from where you can get to nearly any point of interest in Barcelona, is just a short walk. The market Mercat de Sant Josep/ La Boqueria is also just a short walk. An added benefit of which we took full advantage was a Carrefour practically next door. In addition to snacks, we picked up beverages including wine. There was a delicious Carrefour brand limonada (quite tangy with 17% lemon juice) that we kept stopping back to purchase. As for hotel services, there is a dining room where we had a very nice, but not inexpensive, buffet breakfast. The restaurant also serves lunch and dinner at comparably reasonable prices for Las Ramblas. There is also a coffee shop attached to the hotel lobby for beverages and light continental breakfast items. The front desk staff is multi-lingual and very nice and housekeeping service was performed twice daily. If you want a beach hotel, go for the W. But if you want a base from which to sightsee Barcelona, there may not be a better choice.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank meister22

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you very much for expressing your opinion and giving us thereby useful feedback! We do love your commenst as they real highlight of the advantages of staying with us and how carefull are we on the commercial side.

Since your positive experience is our motivation, we always strive to meet and exceed our guests´ expectations.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

It has always been a plan for my family and I to visit beautiful Barcelona. We reside in Dubai, where there is no shortage of gorgeous and luxurious hotels. In early July 2012 Emirates Airlines started their direct flights from Dubai to Barcelona and that was the perfect excuse we needed to visit Spain. Easy and convenient. We were fortunate to be on the first direct weekly flight and it was an amazing journey, the atmosphere on the plane was festive and relaxed..

Naturally we had to stay somewhere and when asking our friends and colleagues where to go in Barcelona, they all recommended to stay as close to RAMBLA street as possible. Its the heart of Barcelona and center of all the action. So it was an easy online search through one of our favorite brand "le meridian" where we found the property. So we quickly made our booking and confirmed 2 rooms; one for my wife and I a deluxe room and the other a standard room for our 2 children.

The property was clean, classy and perfectly located in the heart of Rambla street... The check in was very smooth and easy. The staff were so courteous and even had conversation with our kids to make them feel special. As we had a rental car, the concierge took our car to the underground parking which was secure and quite handy since there is like NO parking in that area, so having your own space come in very handy, so don't worry if you are driving...

The rooms were fantastic, very modern with all amenities that you can need. The beds are supper comfortable, soft and spacious. The nice thing is their Eco-conscience service to save on washing of the linens & towels, which I always care about. Our kids twin room was equally comfortable (albeit slightly smaller as it was a standard). we also ordered room service and the staff were quite friendly. unfortunately our order came quite late and the staff immediately informed us that the meal will be "complementary" due to lateness. We had not even commented on the lateness and it was a pro-active action by the F&B department to make sure we were comfortable and satisfied... needless to say the food was delicious.

The atmosphere in the hotel is like a modern art lounge "Jazy" and my goodness the atmosphere on RAMBLA Street can not be easily put into words... let me simply say "ITS SUPER LIVELY" and being right on in the middle of it made our stay at Le Meridian and visit just super enjoyable.. Each day we only had to simply walk out of the main entrance and 'Voila' onto the lively and social atmosphere of Rambla. people walking, talking, and looking great, We found various cafes to have our breakfast and lunches.. we opted to skip most dinners... one of our favorite spots was right across the street. I recommend you explore the area and especially side street to find cozy little bistro restaurants to eat in.

The area surrounding Rambla and Le Meridian is alive with restaurants, museums, amazing stylish shops, art galleries, history, cafes, and bars... you will not get bored for a single minute and everything within a short 1-4KM walking distances form the Hotel... We visited the Picasso Museum which I highly recommend... and enjoyed pizza at a small dinner. to be honest after a few days of Tapas, as delicious as it is... we started to get tired of it...

If you get a chance go visit the Barcelona football club and stadium... WOW.. that all i can say about it..

Overall the entire experience of Le Meridian and Rambla street made Barcelona one of the most memorable stays we have enjoyed. I have to give it a 9 out of 10.

Room Tip: Ask for the deluxe rooms, slightly larger and the bathroom glass enclosure is sexy, facing the stree...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family