“Good location but terrible service”

Catalonia Barcelona Plaza
Ranked #198 of 516 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed March 1, 2014

This hotel is generally clean and the location is good. However it can get pretty noisy at night since it's situated at a high traffic area. The real downside is its staff and lack of a service attitude. When my colleagues and I checked in, they asked if we wanted smoking or non smoking rooms and even if we said non smoking rooms, they sent us to smoking rooms. The waiter at the restaurant refused to get out from behind the counter where he was doing nothing even though there were 4 of us at one table with one menu. My colleague had a laptop stolen from his room. In all, a really lacklustre performance from the staff. Just bad.

1  Thank freon44
Sitja, Director General at Catalonia Barcelona Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Dear guest,
First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel during your visit to the city of Barcelona, and give us your opinion, always important to us.
In relation with your comments, we are sorry to hear that your stay has not lived up to your expectations. We want to let you know that we have taken note of your observations and talked with the staff involved in this case.
Our entire team is working to improve and provide our customers the most comfortable and pleasant stay as possible.
Once again thank you for your valuable assistance, and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you in our hotel on a future occasion. Do not hesitate to contact us in case you decide to return to Barcelona and we will be happy to assist you again.
Yours sincerely,

Write a ReviewReviews (2,522)

Reviewed March 1, 2014

Overall, my experience at this hotel was very mediocr an me+my colleagues won't be using it again next year for sure. I was staying here for a conference just this week, and the rooms were VERY overpriced! €250 when the standard rate is €65. (Yes, it's the agency's fault but still, that's pretty steep!)

PROS: Staff were very helpful, polite and spoke good English. The "Umo" Japanese restaurant was AMAZING (Me and my colleagues must have eaten there 3 nights out of 5!)
Location-wise, very good (there's the fountain, gov buildings and shops, etc..) and close to the expo centre/airport.

CONS: Wifi, the slowest I've ever encountered! I got the best signal in the room sitting on my toilet. The rooms were not "soundproofed" as they say in the hotel description: several times I would be woken up in the morning either by cleaners hoovering the floor above or people walking down the corridor on wooden floors. Great! Even though I was staying in the Executive Floor, the quality of the rooms was very basic, definitely not worth coming back here.

Room Tip: Make sure you have at least one dinner at the Umo Japanese restaurant in the hotel!
1  Thank roberto_villani

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for sharing this extensive review!
I am happy to hear your nice comments about our staff and the restaurant as well as the convenient location of the hotel itself.
I appreciate your honest input and apologize for the issues you encountered.
We will share your comments with our team as we constantly look for new ways to improve our guests' experience.
I really hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in town so we may show you the complete quality stay you deserve.
Best regards,

Reviewed February 26, 2014

Lovely view from the suite very clean and well appointed. Although it was only one night this was a lovely room and worth the extra money. We stayed here the night before we boarded Carnival Breeze on a 12 day cruise and found the location excelllent - be aware this area of Barcelona is rife with pick pockets especially the station. We were robbed the year before.

Room Tip: Suites are much roomier if your can get a good price
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jane C
Sitja, Director General at Catalonia Barcelona Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear guest,
We really appreciate your positive comments about our hotel. The costumer’s opinion is a top priority for us and it helps us to constantly improve. I would like to use this opportunity to say that we would like to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

Located in the beautiful city of Barcelona , this hotel gives quick and easy access to the metro and a shopping mall. However it disappoints on a number of basics. First the breakfast is served on stone cold plates . So if you do decide to have breakfast , eat immediately otherwise if becomes too cold to eat. More disappointing is the house keeping. While the bathroom is cleaned nicely , the sheets and pillow cases are not changed daily. I just had to call reception today 25th February 2014 at 4pm to get it changed and was rudely told by the receptionist that the sheets are not usually changed . Often i got no apology for the lady about it .However i insisted and got them changed for fresh sheets. So my advice , if you don't want to pay for an over priced hotel with poor customer service and the probability of sleeping in sheets left from other guests , look for another hotel. Having said that though, the location is great so for a one night stay , may not be bad, but for a long business trip or holiday, you are much better off else where.

Plus i think the hotel needs to add to its website the fact that customer should not expect fresh sheets and pillow cases daily that way we all know what we are paying for from the start. I would have changed hotel but this week its busy and other similar types of places are full and expensive . Not delighted , cant wait to leave...

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Sitja, Director General at Catalonia Barcelona Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Dear guets,
In relation with your comments, we are sorry to know that your stay has not lived completely up to your expectations. We want to let you know that we have taken note of your observations, for example the ones regarding the breakfast, and that we have already made some changes. Please, be sure that our entire team is working to improve and provide our customers the most comfortable and pleasant stay as possible.

Reviewed February 18, 2014

I always take my customers to Catalonia Plaza as I know that the people working there have great capacity and interest to provide excellent customer service.
Besides from its premium location, spacious rooms and 5* breakfast with great variety, I feel very well taken care of here and this is important when you travel with a big group of customers, following every single move you make.

Room Tip: If you stay on a Friday or Saturday evening, get a superior room with Plaza Espanya view to enjoy th...
1  Thank Tzvetelina I

Dear Tzvetelina,
First of all, we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel during your visit to the city of Barcelona.
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us and send us your always valuable feedback. It is a pleasure for the whole team, to confirm that you have enjoyed our hotel and your stay in our beautiful city.
Do not hesitate to contact us in case you decide to return to Barcelona. All the staff will be happy to assist you and thank you personally for your trust.
Best regards and see you soon,

Reviewed February 12, 2014

The room was perfect and had everything we needed. We had a nice view of the busy playa and the interesting buildings beyond. The aerobus stops outside making easy access from the airport. The breakfast was a massive buffet style and gave lots of choices. Omelettes and pancakes were being prepared to order. We would use this hotel again. Linda on reception was extremely helpful and was a mine of information. Her recommendations for restaurants were all very good.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Titch5656

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for sharing this extensive review!
I am happy to hear your nice comments about our staff and specially for Linda, as well as the convenient location of the hotel itself.
Best regards,

Reviewed February 7, 2014

In November 2010 we visited Spain as a group and during the trip in Barcelona we stayed in Catalonia Barcelona Plaza Hotel. Rooms were designed perfectly, quite enough and the outisde view from the windows were beautiful ! We only got the breakfast so I can only tell about it. You are free to eat anything from the open buffet. Wide variety of food available. The most important thing is the hotel is located just in the heart of the city. Bus stops and subway stations are just 5-10 steps away from the hotel. So you dont have to worry about the trasportation. I really liked the hotel and if I travel to Barcelone again I sure choose the same hotel for accommodation.

Note: I had to choose March 2013 as our travel date because previous dates are not available to choose ! Thats a mistake of the website. Because not all members are travelled in 2013 or 2014. I travelled in 2010 but there is no such option in the box.

Room Tip: Choose a room which looks to the front side of the street. The view is amazing :)
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Aslan B
Sitja, Director General at Catalonia Barcelona Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear guest,
We welcome your feedback, help us improve our service every day to customers.